Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: what to plant this year?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just kinda curious what everyone is planting in their food plots this coming year?

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
well i tryed corn a couple years ago with litte success. so i think ill just go with some clover this year keep it down to the basic. sense there is a huge corn feild to the north of the property, it makes planting corn a little useless. i will be using imperial no plow plot mix in may, i tryed the throw and grow last year(small 10x10 plot) with great results, the deer found it quickly. but i dont like the rye grass so this throw and grow has minimal rye grass in it, hardy winter forage grass, clovers and canola. so i  hope this one works in the woods, great area to put a plot by were i bowhunt alot of september and october but to many trees to get the wheeler in.

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
For "frost seeding", I will broadcast either our All Clover or High Racks mixes over trails and open areas.  For existing clover plots I will broadcast Brassi Buck over them to get some Annuals in with the Prennials.  I frost seed when there is still a little snow on the ground...the cold nights and warm days cause a freeze-thaw action creates a muddy slurry that works the seed down into the soil.  This is a technique for "no plow" type of planting as well but you should apply Roundup the fall before to remove the initial weed competition.

In May I will plant my corn/bean plots.  I mix 10 lbs. corn with 10 lbs. beans and both are Roundup Ready.  In 6 weeks or so I apply an application of Roundup to eliminate the weeds and allow the corn and beans to take off.  This blend provides for a really nice corn crop with a slight understory of beans.

August 1st I plant our "Peas & Oats" mix and our "Brassi Buck" mix.  These are food plots that I have tilled once or twice already during the spring and now till once more and plant immediately.  With the warm soil and fall rains, these plots just take right off.  I plant these late because I want the killing frost to stop their growth at the most optimum time when the plants are really green and succulant and the most attractive.

Then in November I harvest my 12 pt.   ;D

You can check out these mixes atwww.HabitatNOW.com..just go to the Habitat Outlet Store.  Very reasonable prices and these are 10 lb. bags shipped free to your door.  You can also stop by at Deer Classic or the NW Sport Show for some added show discounts.  Bring your aerial photo along if you come to the shows and we can talk about some options.

Fish On!

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I will be planting 300lbs of corn in a 4ft by 4ft area. I usually plant this late like around November 1st. The deer seem to really come into it hard. They don't even let it grow. Amazing!
   :rotflmao: To everyone that can't take a joke don't comment.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

didnt know u were from wisconsin  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We did a fair amount of plot seeding last summer so this year I plan to just watch it grow.  Then shoot my 14 pointer.  (If LandDr can get a 12 pointer.....) :whistling:
For the record, last year I planted three plots one was 1000 feet long by 50 feet wide and the others were smaller.  No one hunted over the plots last fall.  Go figure.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'll be planting it all this yr. I have to rotate some plots. I'll be doing clover, brassicas, beans, corn, peas, Rye Grain......you name it except rye grass, birdsfoot trefoil, red fescue or hairy vetch. Those will not be in any of my plots.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Last year the plot I did the most work on turned out the worst. It was over run by fox tail. This year I will plant all annual. That way I can till about 3 times and maybe even some round up. I hate those weeds. Might even get a soil analysis.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Finally found some rye grain to try. Its about $10.60 a acre.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hunter2 be careful about the Rye grain planting ratios. When you drill it and put it in rows for harvest the planting ratio is way less then when you broadcast it for a food plot. It comes up as a blade of grass. You'll want 150lbs per acre. You want it to look like a lawn. There's not much to it so the more you have the better. Plant in the late summer to early fall. Afer it gets to big it is not longer a draw for the deer. You want it to be about 8" or so. The deer will keep it mowed for you. They ate mine to the dirt last yr.