Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cable modem self instalation??  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Any one do the self instalation on Comcast cable internet??

I am going with cable internet, Comcast said I can do the instal my self and save $150 or more.
Best Buy sells modems startingat $69, Comcast wants $4 per month to rent one so in the long run it would seem better to buy one.

Is it hard to get the PC's hooked up to the modems?
And what about setting up wireless net work?

Benny
« Last Edit: May 05/07/10, 05:51:46 PM by Benny »
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline JoeFisherman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Benny,

Found this on the web.  It's pretty simple.  I think there's some software you need to install too.  Comcast probably gave you a cd.  I've had comcast high speed internet for years.  Odd they didn't offer free hookup.  I've also got a wireless set up too.  Also not too difficult to set up.

Joe

Turn on your computer and log in to your operating system as normal. Prepare a location for your cable modem so that you can connect the device to both your cable outlet and your computer. Connect the coaxial cable leading from your cable outlet to the corresponding port on the rear of your modem. Tighten the end of the connector until the cable is securely in place. Plug one end of the power supply into the corresponding port on the rear of the modem; plug the remaining end into any available electrical outlet.

Examine the lights on the front panel of the modem; wait for the "Power," "Send," "Receive" and "Online" lights to turn solid green before you continue.

Connect an end of the Ethernet cable to the corresponding port on the rear of the modem; connect the remaining end to any available Ethernet port on your computer.

Open your operating system's control panel or system preferences window and access the settings for network configuration. Enable the options for automatically obtaining an IP address and DNS server address. These options are usually found in the section for setting TCP/IP preferences. Restart your computer. Installation is now complete.
« Last Edit: May 05/07/10, 06:45:51 PM by JoeFisherman »

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Comcast will also provide very easy to follow directions... If my mom can do it I'm sure you can Benny.

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Great, sounds like the modem will go smooth, now for the wireless router hook up.

I have been told I will need to set the PC up as a network so that the desk top and the laptop will work with the printer,scanner, and photo printer ect, ect.

That might be a little harder for me though.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"