Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: MN DNR F's up deer hunting again  (Read 6563 times)

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
just in case you didn't know... the DNR in it's infinite wisdom has changed how many and what sex deer you can shoot. If you haven't checked, you might want to. Zones that were last year intensive harvest zones (ie, kill 5 of the buggers) are now antler-less lottery zones.  WTF!!!  thanks DNR for managing to NOT manage once again.  deadline is tomorrow (9-9-2010) for application.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
they did that to both of my zones upnorth last year, went from 5 down to 1. i hunt the metro primarly now so i can shoot as many does as i want, if i really wanted to

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
hmm... maybe they shouldn't have let people shoot up to 5 last year???  WHAT THE HELL!?  honestly, what do they do all day in that building off Lafayette street?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, our zone went from 5 to lotto also in one year.... :scratch: (damn good sign that they have absolutly no  :censored: clue...)  Sometimes I think the decision makers throw darts at the zone chart on a wall to decide what they do.  That and I think they are worried about public perception more than doing the right thing... they even have a hard time deciding if they want to raise the fishing license up a buck or two! :banghead: Yeah, we'll quit fishing if its raised a buck!? :doah: :puke:  Though it is a tough position to be in where you are trying to please so many different people with different takes on issues, just as in politics(which has some play in their decisions, but thats another can of worms... ;)) so the DNR will never satisfy all of us, BUT, I agree John, I really would like to be a fly on the wall at some of their meetings there in ole St. Paul to see how decisions are really made there on some things... oh, like leaving that stupid  :censored: reg on being able to basically blast a grouse off your atv... they had a chance to fix that one that slipped through last year and they let it ride! Who are these people?!  "WTF" is exactly right on.... :banghead:

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
After last season everybody was complaining they didn't see as many deer and the wolfs were eating the deer. Now they try and bring more deer back by regulating the number shot and people still complain. There is no win for them. :scratch:
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
After last season everybody was complaining they didn't see as many deer and the wolfs were eating the deer. Now they try and bring more deer back by regulating the number shot and people still complain. There is no win for them. :scratch:
:happy1:
I agree. They will never make people happy. One year people complain I want bigger and more deer around. THe next year what do you mean I cant shoot does.

Offline proangler16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Totally agree, also in those 5-deer/per-person area's, whey they shoot up all the yearlings to so call fill a tag, your pretty much getting rid of the next year's crop. 
"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." ~Zenna Schaffer

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
last year, you didn't see deer because of the weather in my opinion... and there for i think the harvest was down? anyone see numbers from last year anywhere? I doubt the wolves had anything to do with it at all.  but if not a lot of deer were seen last year, and the harvest was down, then shouldn't there be more this year? it wasn't a harsh winter. or was the dnr wrong 2 years ago, and they should have been cutting back way back then...

again, it goes back to properly counting.  Now maybe they don't have the funds to do proper deer management. maybe they way they count solely relies on the number of tags filled each year... if that's the case, then they'll always be 2 years behind. a lot can happen in two years and that is not the way to manage the population...

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline chinamimi

One year people complain I want bigger and more deer around   :queen2:

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
One year people complain I want bigger and more deer around   :queen2:
great first post.  no point... incomplete...

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline whiteoakbuck

• Master Outdoorsman
yeah i agree that the new regs are a little messed up but i have always stood behinde the Minnesota DNR the biggest problem with the deer numbers and the #1 reason regs get changed so much are because of so many people taking game by baiting or hunting out of season or just simply not regiestering the deer but thanks for posting this it is a problem and im glad to see people speaking up about it thanks agian!
Hunting is not life and death. It is more important than that.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i think not registering deer is a problem... taking out of season or baiting i don't think contributes much to it.

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I think youre right with the weather John.... the last two years, the wind factor where we hunt was huge....(Had gusting/gale winds for the first 3 or 4 days :banghead:) when the wind is howling enough to make you seasick when in your stand, the deer arent moving much and theyre sitting tight.... but I also believe wolves are definatly a factor, at least where we hunt.... LOTS of them around... enough to really make me think about grouse hunting with my dog in that general area.... (aint kidding)  I agree this year will be a good barometer for getting a good take on the #'s if we can get some good cool weather without so much wind... I guess I dont dissagree or agree (yet) with what the DNR is doing with deer management, BUT I think they should be more proactive with their "plan", and not so reactionary.... kind of like John said,  were they wrong two years ago and now they are trying to cover the mistakes?  All I know is how can you go from a hunters possible harvest of 5 deer to a antlerless lotto in one year...? :scratch:  some one made a BIG boo-boo there.  How it happened we may never know, but I do know this.... there are people that are educated and paid to know... and it sure seems like someone is throwing darts when making decisions lately....

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I think one of the problems the dnr has is that the avid average hunter has little faith in them as we've seen them blunder and stumble all over themselves with what appears to be no reason to what they do or how they do it and when they make a change they don't offer a reason why. they act like they don't need to explain themselves to anyone. if we the hunter new what was going on and why the changes.. maybe it wouldn't seem so bad. but as of now all we can do is draw conclusions that the dnr drinks when they decide what rules to change or they just like to mess with people.

If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I guess I better look at the new regs, because I just bought my and the boys bow liscences and got a bonus tag with each.  Must still be good to go in the SE corridor ?? ;D

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
According to this from page 82 of the MN hunting booklet the MN DNR is blaming the need for a lottery system on youth hunters, the disabled, and muzzleloaders.

LOTTERY DEER AREAS
All adult firearm and muzzleloader hunters must apply for an eithersex
permit if they want to take an antlerless deer in a lottery deer area. The change was made to curtail the antlerless deer harvest that has been occurring in lottery deer areas by individuals who don’t need an either-sex permit (disabled, youth, muzzleloader). In many cases, the number of deer taken by individuals who are not required to have a permit had exceeded the total number of either-sex permits authorized.

So the folks who write the rules, allow 2 months of bow hunting prior to gun season and allowed zones for the last how many years to shoot up 7-8 does are blaming little Suzy, the guy in a wheelchair, and Davey Crockett as to blame. They are in essence accusing these people of being poachers.

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
the only real change to the rules in the above statement is that muzzleloader hunters now have to apply for a doe tag in lottery areas. If this makes it so that youth can harvest either sex I am all for it. I am not totally defending their decision process but it sounds like they are thinking about the future finally by making this decision. Too many does were being harvested in these areas with the current lottery system so they changed it to maintain the herd in these "lottery" areas.

Offline chip189

• Outdoorsman
Just to throw my 2 cents in, My wife and I live and hunt in 222. We have been intensive harvest and also early season for a while now. I wish we were lottery this year. I have only seen (pics and scouting) 2 does but have seen about 15 different bucks. I am only looking at an area of 200-300 acres but am kinda worried. About half of the bucks are young but I think with all the pressure in our area the does have really been thinned. On the upside it could be a really fun season for calling some in.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I agree with BiggA that they are at least doing something, BUT as John said, its really a bunch of :bs: with them pointing fingers like that when its most obvious that some one made a decision (or didnt at all depending how one looks at it :doah:) to let things ride status quo for too long... and the deer herd and the hunters are paying for it now.....

Online deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I hunt in 221 (intensive harvest) and after being out 8 times, I would have to say there appears to be less than half the number of deer this year compaired to last.  Of course, it's early but in general terms, I see way less than last year.  No winter kill but the neighbors talk of wolves being seen over winter.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it depends on where you are, eventhough I agree that the deer numbers are a little 'off'. My buddy was down south for the opener and he saw 30-35 deer Saturday and Sunday. He said he could have arrowed at least 6-7 deer each day :archery:. Ended up taking a big doe on Sat. evening :green archer:. The number of predatory animals on the upswing now will definetly affect the numbers and since the wolf population is one that tends to roam around a large territory, I think the numbers will constantly fluctuate within the zones. I have a slant on my opinion of wolves though being from Canada. As long as you have a hunting license you can shoot them on sight :happy1:......all year round if I remember correctly. We would hear them while on stand in the morning but the herds/numbers of deer we'd see would still be good. I think the deer population up north is more used to seeing them around and perhaps don't get pushed from the thick timber as much. Regardless, I think a better job/understanding of the herds/population needs to be done. My 2 cents. :coffee:
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Yet that is one thing to consider, hunt predators and help out the deer herd.   :scratch:  Wouldn't hurt and I could use another gun...
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
I think something like what Fireranger said Canada does would be the way to go.... having wolves around is ok, but they need to have a fear for humans to a certain degree instead of them looking at us like campground bears do... like a meal ticket so to speak..... ;)

Offline 22lex

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Photo-op
I guess I better look at the new regs, because I just bought my and the boys bow liscences and got a bonus tag with each.  Must still be good to go in the SE corridor ?? ;D
You should be GTG jkcmj.....just check your zone as not too much changed in the SE corridor besides 8 point or better for you (of course kids up to 17 can shoot anything).
Marry an outdoors woman. Then if you throw her out into the yard on a cold night, she can still survive.
-WC Fields