Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: got the kid a gun  (Read 2136 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
just picked up a bolt action savage 840.. 3030.. tossed on a limbsaver (it's for the kid)... and I'm gonna head out this weekend to see how it shoots..

anyone here ever own one of these? or a savage 340? I paid 250 for it, seems about what they're going for.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a bolt action Savage 110 in 30.06.  Light weight, no frills, nothing fancy, and drives tacks.

Good choice for your kid.... as long as it's not left handed.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
we just shot this  840 this weekend.. wow.. I think we made the right choice. the kid had a great pattern at 50 yards. we'll up the yardage next weekend
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I was looking for a rifle for my daughter this summer and a Savage 840 30-30 was one of my first options.

She doesn't like recoil, so I was planning on her shooting Remington's Managed recoil in 30-30.  The year before she tried a lever 30-30 with iron sights and didn't like it.  So I was looking for a 30-30 bolt that I could mount a scope on.  And did I say I didn't want to spend a ton of money? The Savage 840 and 340 were both on my shopping list.

I never found a Savage that I liked and I ended up getting her a Remington Model Seven in .243.  The Model Seven is lighter than the Savage would have been and with a Limbsaver recoil pad, she doesn't feel any recoil.  She is small and she doesn't flinch when she pulls the trigger.  She loves it so I think we made a good choice for her too.

I think either is a great starter gun for kids.  Especially since you don't have to worry about marring a fancy finish.  But the most important think is that they like the gun and are comfortable and confident with it - and oh yeah, handle it safely.

Did you ever mount a scope on the 840 or is the kid shooting iron sights?

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
it came with an old coast to coast 3x40 on it... I didn't mess with it just took it out and shot it. a 243 was my first choice. but this 840 was about perfect for her. we never have many shots over 75 yards where we hunt anyways so she should be plenty good this opener. gonna stick her in the most reliable stand we have with instructions to drop the first thing she sees

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Ditto.  She gets her first crack with it tomorrow morning during the mentored youth hunt in St. Croix State Park.  Tell your daughter good luck.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I will tell her.. good luck to you as well.. I'm gonna pick her up a knife tonight.. so when she drops that first one I can hand her the knife as a little "momento" and tell her to have at it.. we'll see how far she gets. I'm guessin this kid will jump right in, so I'll have to stop her and show her the right way to do it.. maybe not the right way.. but my way