Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: exploratory day(pheasant hunt)  (Read 3104 times)

Offline kid #1

• Outdoorsman
For my school, every quarter all of the students get a day to hang around with friends and just have fun. We call this fun day Exploratory Day. We get like twenty-five or thirty choices to choose from, some only lasting half the day so you get to choose two things to do or the all day activities. Some of the choices were bowling or going to the waterpark of america, but the one I chose was pheasent hunting on the health teacher's farm. For the first part of the day, the students who chose to go pheasent hunting watched and listened to presentations about pheasents and there habitat. After that we each got to shoot trap, twenty-five clay birds per student. It was my first time shooting trap and I shot fourteen out of my twenty-five, shooting eight out of my last ten(I got better then some of the more experienced boys). Then we ate soup donated by a local cafe Bees on the River(awesome). Finally, the time had come to head out to Mr. McDonalds farm. He had divided the land into Field A, Field B, and Field C. The 8th graders got field A, me along with the other seventh graders got field B, and the sixth graders got field C. So we headed to field B with the dogs ready to scare up some birds. I was shooting my great grandpa's A-5 Belgain Browning 12 gauge, which brused my shoulder because once when I shot it I wasn't holding it quite right. I dropped like two or three birds, one shot about two of three times by other students after I shot it. In all, the 8th,7th, and 6th graders got about 40 pheasents. The parents weren't allowed to shoot any birds because then the students probably wouldn't even get a shot in before the bird was killed. What was kind of fun was that I was the only girl student there and I out did some of the boys ;) . And a special thanks goes out to the best hunt club teacher Mr. McDonald for going to a lot of trouble to give us the awesome chance of hunting on his farm, which we all know as Old McDonald's farm! Also I'd like to thank the Wings of Watertown game farm for letting us students gather there today and letting us shoot the birds there today! The whole day was so amazingly awesome!

« Last Edit: October 10/15/10, 08:02:37 PM by kid #1 »
Make your first shot count, it might be the only one you get.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Great post! Thanks for sharing.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
You did a great job teaching those boys how to hunt! I am very happy for you and wish my school had a day like that. Being a father of four girls I don't think you should even talk to a boy that cannot compete with your shooting skills. Awesome job.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
That is way cool. I wish i could have had an oppurtunity like that in school. Good job on the trap shooting as well. First time I tried that I only hit 9.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I am one proud dad!  She took coaching very well.  She was stopping when she was shooting in stead of following through.  The whole day was one of the best experiances I have ever had with a school function.  I wish this would have been available when I was in school.  Safety was the first and most important thing that was comunicated to the students.  To prove my point.  The kids dropped a bird which took off running in front of the kids.  As the lab named SHOOTER is chasing the bird across the field infront of all of the kids the dogs owner is yelling "get em shooter, shooter, get em shooter."  Not one single kid shot or even brought the gun up.  Next year my daughter will be able to bow hunt in the morning and evening and pheasant hunt in the afternoon.  She is already telling me she is going to shoot a deer and show the boys how to gut the deer.

Way to go KID #1
Love ya!!
Your dad
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Wow. That is an awesome story and a great opportunity for the kids. Nice to see a school doing that! Congrats on the shooting KID, keep up the good work and show your dad how to hunt... He could learn some things! ;)
GREAT POST!