Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Owner saves pet from bobcat  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Quick action by owner saves pet from bobcat attack  :coffee:

Ralph Boggie’s cat Yoda as seen after being attacked by a bobcat last week.  

Ralph Boggie, of rural Tower, heard a commotion outside his front door one afternoon last week. “It sounded like a cat screaming,” he said.

When he looked out the window, he was shocked to see his pet cat Yoda in the jaws of a bobcat.

“The bobcat had him by the head and was starting to carry him away,” said Boggie, who quickly ran outside in an effort to save his pet. While the approach of a human might normally send a secretive bobcat running, in this case the animal hung on to its intended prey, forcing Boggie to kick the animal to free his pet.

And even then, the bobcat didn’t retreat very far, said Boggie. “It stood back and hissed at me,” he said. The animal eventually retreated into the back of Boggie’s garage, taking refuge in the sauna built into one corner of the building.

Boggie recovered his cat, which had suffered serious wounds to its face, and brought it back inside, where he grabbed his .410 shotgun, came back out and shot :fudd: the bobcat. “It was a beautiful animal. I hated to shoot it, but I couldn’t have it eating my cats,” he said.

Homeowners are allowed to protect their property from wild animals, notes Conservation Officer Dan Starr. In this case, Boggie reported the incident to the DNR shortly after it happened.

The bobcat’s actions were unusual, notes Steve Loch, a wildlife biologist who is very familiar with wildcat behavior. “You don’t hear of this kind of thing for long stretches, but under certain conditions, things like this do happen,” he said. Loch notes that animals can act in unusual ways when stressed by hunger.

But it’s unclear if starvation was the issue in this case. According to Starr, the young male bobcat appeared healthy. “It didn’t seem like it was starved. It’s eyes were clear and it’s fur was in prime condition,” he said.

Starr took custody of the animal carcass. He said the pelt will be tanned and used for educational purposes.

Meanwhile, Boggie said his pet is starting to recover. “On Saturday, I thought he was going to die, but now it seems he’s coming around.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 01/27/11, 09:18:04 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
I think the Bobcat was tired of Yoda eating his flying squirrels and killing so many pretty songbirds.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hey now....I believe that's another thread!  :whistling:

Offline crazyfish

• Minnow
I used to live on 150 acre farm. We had bobcats that lived in the forest near by, they would come creeping around a lot. They never ate our cats, in fact they did just they opposite. One of our cats gave birth to cat/bobcat children one time. Maybe the bobcat was just a rough lover...certainly if a bobcat wanted to kill a house cat it would have.
Magellan Tent | utility trailer | Abu Garcia baitcaster | Winchester 300