Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Detroit Lakes, Minnesota Fishing Reports  (Read 11707 times)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota Fishing Reports
This is the Fishing Report for February 17, 2011 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may also hear this report by calling 218.847.5743 or 1.800.433.1888.

We have had several days in the DetroitLakes area with temperatures in the high 30’s and low 40’s. Because of this we have experienced significant thawing. Even the plowed roads are getting slushy and full of ruts. We are due for a cool down, and that should help with ice travel conditions.

Several derbies this last weekend were huge successes. Turn outs were as great as the weather. Saturday, February 19 in DetroitLakes there will be a derby for children under 12 accompanied by an adult on Little Detroit Lake. This free event will start at noon.

Most fish being sought now are by pan fisherman. Shallow weed areas are producing with small jigs tipped with wax worms or minnows. The daytime bite should continue to be successful for those that want to chase northern pike. They are taking big baits on tip ups and active jigging with spoons tipped with minnows has been attracting them. The walleye bite has been slow and the bite time has gotten later due to the lengthening daylight hrs. One hour before dark to dark plus thirty minutes has been best. Jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head or bobber fishing with a shiner minnow on a hook or a small jig works. If you get more than 2-4 fish during this active time you are doing very well.

Be very aware of flowing water areas and the risks they create now after our melt.

Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
As of now, I have been around the area and nearly all the lakes are free of ice. Big and Little DL are open as well as every other lake I have been by.
It looks to me like the opener will be A ok for open water. I have heard of a few folks hitting the river and getting a few Crappie.
Even though we are a bit behind prev years we are still on track for a great opener.

On a personal note, I think the opener is going to be great!!!!
The cold temp's have held off the spawn and when the boats hit the water its going to be game on. Those big pig walleys are going to take in what they can before hitting the river.
My plan is to throw out a jig and minnow first to try intise the bite. If this is not what walter is looking for I will change it up to a hook and leech or worm or two. Think outside the box!!!
 I have also had some luck with crank baits in the spring while shore fishing. One might want to toss out a Huskey Jerk Rapala on the shore of any given lake just outside a river just before dark to try your luck. I have heard of those that have had really good luck with this set up.
No matter what your style of fishing, Good luck to all and here is to a safe and plentiful opener!!
« Last Edit: May 05/02/11, 10:34:51 PM by pickelfarmer »
Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have been out a lot over the past two weeks tossing pretty much anything I could think of out over the edge of the boat. I figured it out as best I could and over the past 2 weeks I have logged nearly 40 hours in the boat with hit an miss success.
Walleye bite on Little Pine was pretty good last week from 10-17 FOW with a 3/8 oz Gumball jig and Fat head minnow.

Hit Bad Medicine Monday and the Trout bite was so so. I was able to bring home 6 with what my 2 boys and I caught. We were only able to fish for about 4 hours there but I feel it was worth the trip. Talked to a guy at the access and he said Long lake just north of Bad medicine is not producing like other years for him. I have not fished that lake this year so I can't say for sure how the fishing is there.

I have been out on several lakes (Most I don't care to mention by name) but the crappie are still hitting on a couple of lakes in the 8 to 15 FOW range. I was using a 1/8 black jig head tipped with a crappie minnow under a float tonight and managed to bring home 6 nice ones between the rain showers, all were over 11 inches.

This was to be my year to start using more plastics but I just can't seem to get away from the live bait.
Remember that if your refreshing your bait bucket with lake water to bring a fresh water supply with you so you can transfer your minnows into it when you get off the lake. I got checked tonight by a very friendly and informative CO and after checking my boat over as well as my bait containers he gave me an atta boy.

Good luck out there and keep throwing whatever you have at them. I have tried so many different set ups over the past 2 weeks that I think I'm going blind from tieing knots!! Good luck!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
what? you dont wanna give up that little honey hole?..................sugar bush!!!!! :toast: :toast: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :happybounce: :happybounce:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Here is a pic from last week when a buddy and I got out on the lake one night. After sorting we brought home 5 eaters. Range was 16 to almost 20 inches. The biggest of those we kept was a deep gill hook. I think we would have put her back if she wasn't bleeding so bad. The bite has been great over the past 2 weeks. I have logged a lot of hours in the boat and put back some really nice fish. Mostly jig and minnow but I have been using the gulp 3 inch minnows with some success as well. I love fishing fall walleyes.  :fishing2:
« Last Edit: July 07/29/20, 09:33:39 AM by tech-guy »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how much a lb did you pay for them??????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :banghead: :bonk: :whistling: :whistling: :moon: :moon:

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how much a lb did you pay for them??????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :banghead: :bonk: :whistling: :whistling: :moon: :moon:

Boats paid for,had the jigs,lake was within a mile of my house,didn't even start the gas motor on the boat,just used the trolling motor,bait was about 6 bucks. sssssssoooooooo

Boat $8000.00
Jigs  $0001.99
Gas  $0001.00
Troll $0004.00
bait  $0006.00
So    $8012.99/5=$1602.60 per fish at an average weight of 3 lbs.
wait for it......

wait for it......

wait for it......

A grand total of $534.20 a pound

I figure its a pretty fair price!! :toast:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw that Rebs.  What a shame.  RIP

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman