Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: ICE DEPTH REPORTS HERE!!!  (Read 25760 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
The small ponds are covered by with skim ice around the biger ones. It'll be a little bit for we can get out on them to go fishing. My first trip out will be on a local lake spearing. That is the funnest time spearing in my opinion. The fish are usually pretty agressive with many seen.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
i cant wait !!!!!!!!! this is pure torture  :banghead:

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Sawbill Lake in the BWCA reporting 4-6" of ice!  It won't be long now!   :taz: :dancinred:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
really ! s.w.e.e.t. thats the sawbill on cr 2 right in tofte ?1 of our summer camping spots  ;D

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Friday I pulled a bunch of sets to regroup. Lots of the small ponds I walked across. Yesterday while pheasant huntin I couldn't kick a hole in the ice to get the dog some water so I had to shoot a hole in it with the 12 ga. Close to 3" ice now. Most of the bigger lakes are iced over entirely but nothing for thickness.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline finch

• Outdoorsman
Lake Sarah on the Shetek watershed had about 2-3 inches along shore last week, and a real thin sheet everywhere else.  Lake Corabelle south of Iona had around 6 inches up to 20 feet from shore.. the geese were coming in so i didn't have time to walk out any further!  ;)
"Give me your tired, your hungry, your poor... It's Americans that are tired, hungry, and poor.  so until you take care of that, close the book!" - Edward Norton, American History X

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
This is goofy but one of the last lakes to freeze around here has 6-8 inches of ice, while a real shallow lake a few miles away is still open. The lake that is open usually freezes right early.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline MNFirefighter

• Outdoorsman
PRIOR LAKE REPORT:

I just stopped out to check on Prior Lake. The lake did freeze over with the help of the snow last night. It is not good ice by any means but it is a start. I stopped by the sportsman access and the sand point beach access and found the same at both locations. I still has a long way to go to be safe. I also drove by the Wagon Wheel bridge and did see one portable on the east side of the bridge. Unless you know this area do not attempt to go out. There is a lot of current in this area and a lot of springs just like the rest of the lake. Be careful on this lake whether you are familiar with this lake or not because of the currents and springs, even in the middle of the winter when there is a foot of ice this lake is unpredictable.  I also do not recommend parking along the shores. This is video I took 12-26-2005. Copy and past the link below. Be safe

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QSDPM67C20[/youtube]

« Last Edit: December 12/02/07, 12:26:13 PM by hedrocks »
MNFirefighter

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I just took a drive to Lake O'dowd in Shakopee.  There were about 5 guys out in the middle of the lake fishing right across from the boat launch.  I stepped on the ice by shore and it seemed pretty solid.

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
went passed mud lake off 94 and there was about 6-7 portables out there ! let the early season begin ;D

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
i think with the snow it slowed down the ice i feel it is still to early yet maybe another week or so

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot

Offline WheelersPointResort

• Outdoorsman
    • Wheelers Point Resort and Lodge
12/8/07  10+ inches and great walleye action on LOTW
John and Tammy Fitzpatrick
Wheelers Point Resort and Lodge
"Where the famous Rainy River enters
legendary Lake of the Woods, Minnesota"
218 634-2629   800 542-2435
www.wheelerspoint.com

Offline Ryan

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Website Design
I went for a drive around the local lakes yesterday.  I saw people fishing in Prior, Spring, Fish O'dowd and Thole lake.  I don't know how much ice there was, but on O'dowd there were two permanent houses out.  I was thinking about going out there today, but it is kind of cold for me.

Offline Cousin Kyle

• Outdoorsman
As we get into the season, please report your ice depth findings here.

Lake Minnetoka.  Some spots still a little sketchy but I went into  a bay close to Tonka Bay, Ice is 6 inches and pulled out a massive Walleye 29'  Walleyes are biting in the Eve.  Good Luck be safe.

Pass the Worms, Pass the Beer

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
This is the Explore Minnesota Fishing Report Newsletter for December 7, with information provided courtesy of www.outdoornews.com, and brought to you by Explore Minnesota Tourism. For lodging specials and incredible deals, check out www.exploreminnesota.com, otherwise dial 1-888-TOURISM (868-7476) to have a travel counselor help you plan your next Minnesota getaway using Journey, our free customized travel planning service. While you are a subscriber to this newsletter, we will send you a weekly update reporting fishing conditions throughout the state. To subscribe to any
of our email newsletters, visit http://www.exploreminnesota.com/travel/enewsletter/index.aspx
Please remember that ice is never considered totally safe. The Department of Natural Resources reports that 4 inches of ice is the minimum thickness recommended for travel by foot. Ice safety guidelines also recommend a minimum of 5 inches of new, clear ice for snowmobiles and ATV's, and 8-12 inches of new, clear ice for cars and small trucks. Please note that melting and refreezing makes ice less stable, especially in areas with springs or current. Anglers are asked to please call ahead for the most current conditions before venturing out. Anyone choosing to venture out must use extreme caution and check ice thickness often. Please note that heavy snow has hindered ice production on most lakes and rivers.

Before heading out, consider learning how to make and use ice picks and claws by checking out the 1-minute video on the DNR website at www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/index.html

Anglers may obtain fishing licenses 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, by dialing 1-888-665-4236, or accessing http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/agents.html

==========================
NORTHEASTERN MINNESOTA

International Falls
On Rainy Lake, a few spear houses have been set up in and near the bays on 4-5 inches of ice. Please note that a lot of open water remains on the main lake, and the ice that does exist is thin and snow-covered.

Grand Marais
A lot of snow covers the ice on area lakes. A few anglers have begun checking the ice, but the deep snow has prevented thin ice from getting thicker.

Ely
The smaller area lakes are safe enough for foot travel, and some of the larger lakes are now covered in as much as 4 inches of ice. Please note that a lot of thin ice still exists on many area lakes.

Grand Rapids
While anglers were venturing out onto 4-6 inches of ice last weekend, recent heavy snowfall has caused slush to develop, making travel difficult on most lakes.

Duluth
Anglers are walking out onto 4-6 inches of ice, however 14 inches of now snow last weekend is causing slush to develop on the lakes. Fish and Boulder lakes have been good for lots of walleyes in 10 feet of water during low-light hours. For northern pike, hit 8-10 feet of water on Rice and Fish lakes using sucker minnows.

===========================
NORTHCENTRAL/WEST MINNESOTA

Baudette
On Lake of the Woods, Four Mile Bay had 7 inches of ice earlier in the week, with limits of walleyes being taken. Morris Point was reported to have 5-7 inches of ice, and Zippel Bay ice was measuring 5-9 inches. The main-lake ice currently varies from 6-9 inches, and may be accessible by this weekend.

Waskish
On Upper Red Lake, from 7-12 inches of ice covers the areas of the lake being fished. The best walleye and northern pike reports are coming from the southeast corner in 8-10 feet of water. ATVs were an option as of Tuesday morning, but the snowcover has become so deep that travel has become an issue.

Blackduck
Most lakes have 6-9 inches of ice. The perch bite has been very good on Blackduck Lake in 8-14 feet of water, with a few walleyes coming from depths of 14-20 feet. Look to Gilstead and Rabideau lakes for panfish. Deep snow is causing problems with lake travel on most area lakes.

Bemidji
While ice was forming nicely on most area lakes, the heavy snow has caused water to soak through to the surface, limiting travel on many lakes.

Bena
On Lake Winnibigoshish, spear anglers are doing well near the West Winnie Campground, where 6-8 inches of ice has formed. As of Tuesday morning, no one had ventured out ono the main lake. Depending on snowfall amounts, perch anglers may be able to access the main lake by this weekend.

Walker
On Leech Lake, anglers are beginning to walk out onto the ice at Shingobee and Steamboat bays, which are reported to have 3-6 inches of ice. Walker Bay still has some open water. Ice is averaging 6-8 inches on the smaller area lakes.

Hackensack
A few people had begun fishing on four inches of ice last week, but 10 inches of snow put a quick end to that last weekend. Slush and water is now an issue on most lakes where walkable ice had formed.

Detroit Lakes
The small lakes and bays are covered in 5-10 inches of ice. While some anglers are venturing out on ATVs, the thick snowcover could create slush. Walleye action has picked up on Deadshot Bay on Big Detroit Lake in 18 feet of water. Any weed edge in this bay should also be good for panfish. On Island Lake, panfish and walleyes are being pulled from 16-18 feet of water.

Battle Lake
Walleyes and perch are being pulled from 10-14 feet of water in front of Graystone on Ottertail Lake. Anglers are walking out onto West Battle Lake and finding a few walleyes and panfish on the first break. Sunfish are biting on West Lost Lake in 10 feet. Spitzer Lake is producing a few panfish in depths of 8 feet. Recent snowfall has caused slush to develop on many of the larger area lakes so please caution.

Alexandria
Ice depths vary from 2-7 inches on most area lakes, with the thickest ice found on the smallest lakes. The recent snowfall may create problems with ice formation. Please call ahead before venturing out. Anglers are already heading out onto Little Mary and Reno lakes.

Brainerd/Nisswa
While ice is limited on most of the larger area lakes, the bays and smaller lakes are covered in 5-6 inches of ice. Walleyes are being caught on Round and North Long lakes in 18 feet of water. Upper Gull Lake, and Jones’ Bay on Pelican Lake are producing panfish and a few walleyes in slightly shallower waters. Fish houses were being pulled out onto these areas earlier in the week, but with the additional snowfall, caution is advised due to the potential for slush.

Crosby
Most lakes have an adequate amount of ice for good “foot-travel,” with as much as eight inches being reported on the smaller area lakes and in the bays. Crappie action is picking up on Blackhoof and Perry lakes during evening hours. Northern pike are active on many area lakes, however reports are limited.

Garrison/Isle
While most of the ice on Lake Mille Lacs is not yet stable enough to support ice angling, some of the east end bays have up to 9 inches of ice. Some anglers are venturing out and taking decent-sized perch from the shallows, however most of the fish have been small. Expect some of near shore, main-lake structure to be accessible very soon.

====================
TWIN CITIES VICINITY

Annandale
Anglers are walking out onto Clearwater Lake, and catching a few walleyes and crappies. For crappies, check out Dan’s Lake, and for walleyes, head to Lake Edwards. The smaller area lakes and bays have up to 6 inches of ice. Please note that some of the larger lakes still have areas with open water.

Zimmerman/Elk River
Elk Lake is producing crappies and northern pike in 6-7 feet of water. Fremont Lake has been good for lots of northern pike in depths of 4-6 feet. On Baxter Lake, anglers are taking sunnies and crappies from 11 feet of water. While these lakes have 4-6 inches of ice, other area lakes are covered in a thinner layer of ice.

West Metro
Ice depths vary from 2-6 inches on most area lakes. Anglers venturing out are reporting limited success. Lake Parley is often a good early-ice location, with quite a few anglers already trying their luck with the fish.

Waconia
On Lake Waconia, 2-6 inches of ice has formed on Waconia Bay, however snow drifts and slush may cause problems for anglers. No other area of the lake has been checked for ice thickness, and there are no reports of anyone venturing out onto the ice.

Wayzata
On Lake Minnetonka, some of the areas that were first to freeze over now have 3-4 inches of ice, with a handful of anglers venturing out on the bays.

Chisago City
Anglers are venturing out onto the channels and bays where 5 inches of ice seems to be the average. An evening crappie bite is being reported in the hole in front of Whispering Bay on South Center Lake. The south end of Chisago Lake is producing sunfish and northern pike during the day. Walleyes and crappies have also started hitting in front of the Dinner Bell in more than 18 feet of water on South Lindstrom Lake.

Northeast Metro
An average of 3-5 inches of ice covers most of the smaller area lakes. Anglers have begun walking out, using tip-ups and shiner minnows. Northern pike and bass have been active, especially on Demontreville and Jane lakes in 10-12 feet of water.

================
SOUTHERN MINNESOTA

Red Wing
Ice has started to form in the bays of the Mississippi River. The docks located in the Baypoint Park area are giving up crappies. Boats are still an option on the river where walleyes and sauger continue to be caught on jigs below the dam.

Faribault
Due to little snowfall this past week, area ice is in good shape. Anglers are now walking on 4-5 inches of ice and catching fish. Karderlik’s Bay on Shields Lake is producing crappies in 18 feet of water, and northern pike are active in the shallows. Bulrush Bay on Lake Mazaska has been good for sunfish. Some shallow water walleye action is being reported on the Twin lakes.

Waterville
There is 5-7 inches of ice on Elysian, Francis, Tetonka and Sakatah lakes. A few panfish have been pulled from these lakes, and Elysian is giving up some walleyes in 7-9 feet of water during evening hours.

Mankato
The smaller area lakes have 5 inches of ice, while the larger lakes offer only 2-4 inches. Look to Crystal Lake for walleyes in less than 5 feet of water. On Lake Elysian, walleyes have started hitting in 9-12 feet along the points that are accessible by foot. Look to Mud Bay on Lake Washington for panfish.

Fairmont
Cedar and Iowa lakes are producing walleyes and perch along the shoreline breaks where 5 inches of ice has formed. Caution is advised on the larger area lakes and main portions of many fisheries due to thin ice. If snowfall is limited this week, expect more areas to become accessible in the near future.

Willmar
There is 4-7 inches of ice on most of the smaller area lakes. The larger lakes such as Green and Eagle froze over just last weekend. Walleyes are hitting in less than 10 feet of water on lakes such as Norway, Long, Ringo, Solomon and Big Kandi during evening hours.

=========================

Offline MNFirefighter

• Outdoorsman
Mille Lacs Report

I went yesterday and today on Mille Lacs. Yesterday afternoon I went out of Garrison right off of the public access and straight out from Pikes Point.  The ice varies from 3" to 8" in this area out about 2-300 yards. It all depends on how much snow is covering the ice. Obviously, where there is less snow there is more ice. We walked out with portables and started in 12' and worked our way in. Not much action. Dropped the camera down and there was a lot of small perch and that was about it.

Today, I went out of Wigwam bay, straight out from the public access with portables. We went out about 200 yards from the access in about 12' of water. Good 8" of ice here. Same story here, very slow.

Rumor has it that the fish were bitting in front of Garrison Sports in the morning in the shallows.

Also, IF you need Camo Gear, Gander Mountain stores has 50% off most of their bibs, jackets, gloves, hats, etc until tonight.  I just went in and stocked up on some new guide series gear. New jacket for $50.00 and new bibs for $50.00. I also got new gloves and hat for $12.00. This is a good deal.  I believe all Ganders have this sale on right now
MNFirefighter

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
they are driving out on  detroit lake as of friday. In GG report it say they are getting walleyes on dead shot bay. That is wrong they are getting walleyes on Curfman lake witch is mistaken for dead shot bay all the time. just some info if anyone is comeing my way

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
Thanks for the correction Mink!!   :toast:  gg

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
i just got back from s-center and we did pretty well , repoman jr really cleaned the lake with over 30 crappies and 1 nice walleye .
there was a solid 6-7 inches of ice in whispering bay , ill be heading back tommorow  ;D

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Thanks for the correction Mink!!   :toast:  gg

i always have to correct you.

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
me and mnfisherguy went out yesterday and got a couple nice pikes good for pickleing  ;D , the guy across from us was just hammering them , 1 after another ... im going back  ;D

« Last Edit: December 12/11/07, 03:46:55 PM by repoman »

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Here in west central it isn't much different than b4 the snow, maybe an inch or 2 more. With the snow if you cut a hole the water will come up a couple inches so it gets a bit sloppy. Depending on the lakes it can vary anywhere from 5 to 13 inches. I drove out on one lake that had 8-11 inches of good ice an it hardly even cracked but don't recomend anyone else until it's a bit thicker as it can change.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline sunk1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • member #536
I was on West Rush on Sat. there was 8-9 inches there.  sunk1

Offline tkamun

well heres some new news from eveleth area! i made it out ice fishing for the first
time this year  :party3: Except i didnt do as good as i thougt i would  :cry: The  ice was about 6 inchs and soome spots looked like some pretty crappy stuff , yet plenty good for my snowmobile! i got a late start and didnt get fishing until about noon also had to leave early for my daughters dance class...but i still managed to keep 5 crappies  :toast:may i have better luck on thursday :rotflmao:

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Was out on a different lake today mainly to check ice. I used a the auger to make holes and then a L shaped rod to check ice depth. I found any were from four to ten inches of ice in a fairly small area but wouldn't you know when i wen to cut the hole to spear the 14 inch blade on my chain saw did not reach through in places. In that spot alone the ice veired in depth by 1 inch.

Offline letgofishing

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Faribault,Mn. Mazaska lake my favorite lake.. 7 inches ice
caught nice sunfish n crappies
i let go monster over 12lbs northern in the hole with 2lbs test line with wax worm for panfish but fun fun fight for 20 min and i let go break line... i going Mazaska lake tomorrow
good luck ice fishing and safety trip
Daniel Rud

Offline mshs1

• Outdoorsman
 ;D
Independance has 12" with some small houses on the lake and ATV traffic

Offline letgofishing

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
go over to Mazaska lake there very hot Bites Crappies and Sunfish....

i going today in the morning @ 8 30am till 1pm to ice fishing for panfish and tips up for big bass and monster northern
then 2 30pm i going to bow deer need one more doe then done for next year...

good luck
Daniel Rud

Offline mnbassfishin

Hello Fellow Fisherman,

I went on Island Lake in Shoreview the other day.  The ice was a solid 6-8 thick.  Problem is that there are some springs that causes the ice to be quite thin.  You can actually see the 1 or 2 foot wide holes in the ice caused by the springs.

That day I caught about 10 perch and 3 bass.  All I used was a swedish pimple and a fathead minnow.

No chairs or icehouses necessary.  Just a hammer to get a few of the other previous holes open.