Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: boxelder bugs invasion!!! help???  (Read 2921 times)

Offline spear foot 1

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 I live in a older farm house and the boxelder bugs have launched a massive attack.  I have been vacuming but as soon as I get done the reenforcement troops unload. I have looked on the net and all I find is that you should caulk your cracks, no kidding?  and if there already in the house use a shop vac. And these are the people we send to college?  Any  way I figured I would try our school of higher learning here because I know I will get better answers from you guys,  so any help will gladly be appreciated  thanks !
« Last Edit: March 03/22/11, 09:05:20 AM by spear foot 1 »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Them things are really a nuisance. Unfortunately chemicals do more harm than benefit. They have tempted me to eradicate all the Box elder and maple trees. They will be out soon. For next year you may want to get a spray foam dispenser that uses the big cannisters. Menards sells them for about $40.00. The windoor and door foam is your best bet.  For the amount you would need of individual cans it is more economical. I really cut down on the infiltration of the bastards by going up in the attic and sealing around all the plumbing and electric wire holes and light boxes. It stops all the bugs from getting into the walls from the attic where most of them winter. You should also remove the outlet and switch covers and seal the holes in them. A little goes a long way. If you are really in for a big job pull off the casing and foam the doors and windows also. Any penetration like sillcocks, dryer vents etc. will all help. Another benefit will be that you cut way down on heat loss.
 Make sure that you leave the foam can on the gun and shut it completely off when not in use or the gun will be toast. If you store it for a long time run cleaner through it and leave the cleaner can on the gun.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
And....if ya wanna kill um....dawn dish soap, and water knocks um dead.

(I know it works cause I have the same problem)
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I spray my house with BugMax 365 in the fall and don't ever seem to have a problem.  I may have a dozen or so inside the house I have to take care of, but the piles of dead ones outside is enough to get a Polaris stuck.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline snow

• Master Outdoorsman
My house is an old farmstead,ton's of tree's and 2 or 3 times a year the boxelders hatch,luckily I have a pest control customer who set me up with a spray that does'nt harm the house or grass,just have to nail'em when you see the larva coming out along along the foundation or tree bases,works like a charm.
Hevi Shot Pro Staff
Hevi Shot.com

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Anyone else dealing with these??? :confused: :angry2:

I have granite chips around my house and granite chunks around my trees and back shed. They aren't as thick as in the fall but damn  :banghead: there friggin fornicating like rabbits.  :confused: :tut:

Well they got a good dose of bug killer. :sleazy: :evil:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
haven't seen any here!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
haven't seen any here!!!   :happy1:
:pouty: well aren't you something special!!!🙄 :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

That's what Dotch says anyways!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, you should be happy! They are an excellent source of protein.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll collect them up and mail them to you!!!👍 :happy1:

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll collect them up and mail them to you!!!👍 :happy1:
good luck getting that address!!!    :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
SO you are saying they like to fornicate on the granite chips????  Interesting.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline tangle tooth

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
      Tried the Dawn dish soap thing. Tried the vacuum thing. I have a much bigger problem with those Asian beetles. Them beetles stink, get in to everything and , for some reason, like to fall in to my coffee cup.
I wonder. Does Darth Vader have a sister named Ella? Bet she has her ups and downs.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
The dish soap and water thing worked great when I had boxelder bugs.  Splashed it on wherever they were.  They didn't come back neither. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Tempo or bifrethrin spray around doors and windows. They may make it in, but then you just vacuum up the carcasses.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup,they made a showing at my place as well,tried the dawn soap spray last fall,they ate the stuff up,used a like product las fall like "tempo" spendy stuff but it killed on contact.this spring on warm sunny days the ground facing the south sun is alive with these nasty critters,gotta reloard and get after em.Thank goodness they don't bite.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Tempo or bifrethrin spray around doors and windows. They may make it in, but then you just vacuum up the carcasses.

just to let ya all know, tempo went from $40. to $60.  a jug...   still cheap when you figure how much you get from the jug when you mix it proper..

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That stuff sure works good too.