Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Wolf control gutted in Minnesota  (Read 3138 times)

Offline wildlifeminnesota

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
Congressional budget cuts have defanged the federal wolf-control program in Minnesota, stunning state officials who say they aren't allowed to trap, kill or remove wolves that prey on livestock or pets.

The recent changes would effectively end efforts to control a growing population of Minnesota wolves that killed record numbers of pets and livestock last year.

The Department of Natural Resources was notified Monday that Congress last month wiped out the U.S. Department of Agriculture's program to remove wolves that attack or threaten farm animals and pets. Only authorized federal trappers are allowed to trap or kill the wolves, which otherwise are protected by the federal Endangered Species Act.

The 10 trappers, all but one of whom are Minnesota residents, were still on the job Tuesday, but could be pulled out of the field at any time, state officials said. If the program ends, the timing couldn't be worse, officials said. Cows are birthing, and the newborns are vulnerable to wolves.

"It puts the state in an untenable position, and puts the DNR in a box because we can't do anything as long as the wolf is under federal authority,'' DNR Commissioner Tom Landwehr said Tuesday. "It was totally out of the blue.''

The USDA's Wildlife Services division trapped and killed 192 wolves in Minnesota last year, when wolves killed about 100 cows and sheep and 15 dogs, according to the USDA. Twenty animals were injured, including eight dogs.

The agency has received 32 complaints this year.

Landwehr wrote to Minnesota's congressional delegation Tuesday, asking that funding either be restored or that U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service efforts to have the wolf taken off the Endangered Species List be approved so the state can assume responsibility for dealing with problem wolves.

"Although the state of Minnesota is fully prepared to assume wolf management ... it is irresponsible to suspend funding of this important program while wolves in Minnesota are still protected,'' he wrote. To do so will have "significant impacts'' on livestock producers, he said.

Currently the state reimburses farmers who lose livestock to wolves. Suspension of the federal program will result in an increase in damage caused by wolves, Landwehr said, and in more claims for compensation.

"We're dealing with record high wolf population and wolf damage -- and as large of a wolf range as we've ever had,'' said John Hart, Wildlife Services supervisor in Minnesota. "We're fielding two to three times as many complaints as in the early 1990s. To try to handle that with declining funding or loss of funding has been challenging.''

The state's wolf population is estimated at between 2,200 and 3,500.

Funding for the $727,000 program, which also pays for wolf depredation efforts in Wisconsin and Michigan, was cut March 18 in a continuing resolution passed by Congress to fund the government through April 8. Minnesota's share was about $209,000. The program once received more than $1 million yearly.

Linden Zakula, a spokesman for U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., said Klobuchar spoke with Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, asking that he "find a way to continue funding the important Minnesota wolf management program."

But in a letter sent to the state this week, Gary Nohrenberg, state director of USDA's Wildlife Services, said efforts to find other federal funding for the program have been unsuccessful.

"Even if a funding source is found,'' he wrote, "it will only cover our wolf management activities through Sept. 30, which is the end of our current fiscal year.''

Offline proangler16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
This is not good!!!   :fudd:                              :fudd:
 :archery:                     :green archer:
"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." ~Zenna Schaffer

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
If the wolf is not an endangered or threatened specie any longer then how can the wolf center still recieve govt. funding? Why am I forced to pay for the prolification of these taliban evil doers?
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Minnesota Wolf Control.
Don't ask...Don't tell.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline proangler16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." ~Zenna Schaffer

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline nontypicalhunter

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Minnesota Wolf Control.
Don't ask...Don't tell.

They were talking about this the other morning on KTLK, a gentleman called in and said it's the  3-S's . SHOOT, SHOVEL, SHUT UP!        :Clap:

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
Minnesota Wolf Control.
Don't ask...Don't tell.

They were talking about this the other morning on KTLK, a gentleman called in and said it's the  3-S's . SHOOT, SHOVEL, SHUT UP!        :Clap:

Wow, true sportsmen huh?  :scratch: Don't like the law so find a way to break it? That's great to hear guys. Hopefully if you are practicing this you get caught and have the book thrown at you.  :banghead:
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Minnesota Wolf Control.
Don't ask...Don't tell.

Wow, true sportsmen huh?  :scratch: Don't like the law so find a way to break it? That's great to hear guys. Hopefully if you are practicing this you get caught and have the book thrown at you.  :banghead:
Yeah, all you people that don't like the wolves killing everything in the forest are stupids.
You can bet your sweet behind I'll never shoot a wolf...thats whering a collar.   ;D
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
Minnesota Wolf Control.
Don't ask...Don't tell.

I with you sandmannd  Yes I would like to see tags for hunting wolf, But just because you do not like them it a law that you can not shoot them, So breaking the law on one thing and not on another dose not make you right, That would be like if I did not like deer in my yard so I go out and shoot it, But they was eating all my apple off the tree, That wrong, If you do not like a law then  :help: change it, Do not take the law in your hands, I know a wolf and a deer is no comparison, But it the point I am making. I know some like to talk big as the 3 S I have herd before but this can tell wear your morals are at, As long as the law fit what you like then that OK but if you do not like the law then just take the law a side and break, IS NOT OK  :Photography:     

• Master Outdoorsman
    • wildlifeminnesota
As I am siting here, Reading all the post that are posted in this forum, and other and as I talk with people that come in my store, I fine myself  :scratch: how people are so dividing on they morals. It Ok to do one thing but if some one dose some thing that they do not like then they get piss off, Why? It come down to one thing, Ask your self What are your morals, Do you thing you have good morals? If you said yes to this, Then answer theses,,
Have you Broke a Hunting law?
Have you Broke a fishing law?
Have you Broke a  law?
Have you stole?
Have you cheated?
Have you Lied?

Now I thing I have good morals But I can look back and say yes to all  these ? at one point in time in my life, But now  No to then all,

So how dose one come form bad morals to good morals? We all know right from wrong, It coming in time the older we get I think the better are morals get,

I post this on wolf hoping It could  :help: change the law, As more of us are pushing for this then Breaking the laws, It would be nice to have a hunting on them, But at the same time protect the wolf and all of the wildlife, we as people have to respect this world and what on it, I fill that this will be best left up to the DNR in the state and get the stupid government off of it they can not take care of the gas and their bugging, If they want to protect wolf this is the best way,