Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 643166 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It sure wasn't about e-filing for free!! :mooning: :mooning:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:scratch: You get that from the same place that you get your tax filing info from? :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:  :doah:            :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh: I'm up by 5 or 6, 9 days out 10 so :moon:, & I got better things to do than listen to your :bs: that early everyday. :pouty: :thumbs:  :tut:
and yet....here you are........replying to my posts!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Can't see jack at the Narrows early today. We're lookin at Wednesday night/early Thursday to go back up unless there's a problem with his dentist appt today.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Can't see jack at the Narrows early today. We're lookin at Wednesday night/early Thursday to go back up unless there's a problem with his dentist appt today.
safe travels my friend........ :happy1: it might just start warming up about that time!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

check the weather for winds and below temps too!!   drive safe!!    :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man you do you, but if i was in your position, i'd be waiting till fri-sat before i'd go up...........its going to be a cold MF up there wed and thurs!!!!

if you do head up, be careful.........we dont need news of 2 iowegian popsicles found on the road!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like it might make 0 on Thursday with light wind according to TWC so that's not too bad & we hate traveling on weekends. Besides we don't have to plow everything right away as we can park over at the neighbors. We talked to him this morning & he's in the metro but his was plowed this weekend by the new owners of the resort nextdoor. He thought his furnace quit working so he made a emergency run. I turns out it was just a battery issue with his thermostat. It a lot shorter walk through the woods than down our driveway & I'm seein snow/wind in the forecast for up there on Saturday too.
« Last Edit: February 02/01/22, 12:06:11 PM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like it might make 0 on Thursday with light wind according to TWC so that's not too bad & we hate traveling on weekends. Besides we don't have to plow everything right away as we can park over at the neighbors. We talked to him this morning & he's in the metro but his was plowed this weekend by the new owners of the resort nextdoor. He thought his furnace quit working so he made a emergency run. I turns out it was just a battery issue with his thermostat. It a lot shorter walk through the woods than down our driveway & I'm seein snow/wind in the forecast for up there on Saturday too.
:happy1: :happy1: well  either way safe travels.... your inger gals must be missin ya!!!!! :sleazy: :evil: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :tut: :mooning:                         :rolleyes: :bs: :doah:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

check the weather for winds and below temps too!!   drive safe!!    :happy1:
We usually check with MNDOT & TWC just before we go.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
gunner.......you look at the narrows cams yet?????? looks like there's actually water standing by that birdhouse?????????

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: On shore? Looks pretty dark to now to me I can't really tell if it's water. Across from the  :fishing: platform on the East cam looks kind of gray & slushy & was like that yday too.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Just spent a couple hours working on the snow again. Widen it down at the road where they had it plowed shut with waist high hard crusty snow. Widened the rest of the drive along with around the garage & between the garage/cabin & the little shed. That was all light & fluffy stuff. Still have out by the boat shed to do but that can wait.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just spent a couple hours working on the snow again. Widen it down at the road where they had it plowed shut with waist high hard crusty snow. Widened the rest of the drive along with around the garage & between the garage/cabin & the little shed. That was all light & fluffy stuff. Still have out by the boat shed to do but that can wait.
have you seen much activity on the lakes you drove by?????? or activity that had been there??????????

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 It doesn't look like there's more than 6-8, maybe 10 spots where somebody might've drilled some holes out on our bay all season & none of 'em look very fresh. Although there's 1 person out there now sitting on the edge of the weedy point on the north side of our bay. :scratch: :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Heading to the meat raffle tonight?? :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Yup, a late arriving packed house. Bet 1/2 the crowd got there after we did, ~ 5:30. We didn't win but you wouldn't of liked it either as what they were giving away the most of you already have enough of :rolleyes:..........................................BALONEY!!!! :sleazy: ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:happy1: Yup, a late arriving packed house. Bet 1/2 the crowd got there after we did, ~ 5:30. We didn't win but you wouldn't of liked it either as what they were giving away the most of you already have enough of :rolleyes:..........................................BALONEY!!!! :sleazy: ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:tut: :tut: :rotflmao: any idea where or who supplies the meats gunner???????

and i was actually kinda joking when i asked. figured you guys would be pretty tuckered out after that drive and would hit the sack early!!!!!!!!!!  ;) one of these trips.....i need to go check it out!!!!!!!! :scratch:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 Was a bit surprised by the # of snowmobiler's last night. There was 4 sleds in the back of the lot when we got there & 6 more came in all suited up. Just before they started a huge toy hauler , must've been almost 30', pulled in the lot. Some people bailed early so we got in on 3 of the last 4 boards. It looked like about 1/2 the bundles were 4 packs of ribeyes from Kocian's to me.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 After yday's AM's fun in the snow we both had a Bloody Mary with lunch so the nap after that was a natural. I didn't look at the bundles last night so I'm not certain but last year they got it all from Big Fork. There must be someone who lives nearby that works there as we actually seen somebody deliver it last year 1 time when we were there a bit early. We got some really nice ribeyes last season 1 time. :happy1: :cool:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Was a bit surprised by the # of snowmobiler's last night. There was 4 sleds in the back of the lot when we got there & 6 more came in all suited up. Just before they started a huge toy hauler , must've been almost 30', pulled in the lot. Some people bailed early so we got in on 3 of the last 4 boards. It looked like about 1/2 the bundles were 4 packs of ribeyes from Kocian's to me.
i suppose thats the new starting and ending point for alot of snowmobilers since Richies is shut down now. man Richies lot was always packed with sleds back in the day!!!!! didnt hurt the trail went by there either. from there to bigfork was an awesome snowmobile ride!!!!!! so was the ride from the cabin to get to that trail.........oh the good old days of being  young!!!!! :pouty: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We sat by the guys on the 1st bunch of sleds & another guy came over to talk to 1 of them about the newest sled they had as he had looked at 1 too. I overheard them talking about the trail up to Big Fork.
« Last Edit: February 02/05/22, 08:16:09 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
oh yea, there are great trails out that way, then get back up in the soumi ? hills.........trails out towards squaw lake are awesome to. from the cabin to squaw lake by car is about 20 miles, give or take.....by snowmobile trail its close to 50 miles....weaving around all the lakes. great ride!!!!1

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The 1 up at Squaw Lake goes right to Fish Tales now, seen quite a few sleds up there at times too. One time a group had a sled breakdown & I heard them talkin about going all back down 2 to get to 46 after they got the truck & trailer. Think they were stayin around Cass Lake/Bena area. I had to point out the GDP shortcut.
« Last Edit: February 02/05/22, 02:47:40 PM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
longtime back, my dad had bought a new sled.......mom anddad sue and i went for a ride out that way......we where way out there north of Alvood..? dads sled broke down.......all i re ember is it was a long way back to the cabin to get a truck and trailer........ and they riding 2 on moms sled...them things arent made for 2 on a sled. we pulled it out to some place by i think hwy 71/72????

it seemed like we where closer to canada then the cabin!!!!!!! :confused: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Check the weather if you're traveling this way on Thursday, TWC's sayin 100% chance & 4" in the next 48 hours now.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Check the weather if you're traveling this way on Thursday, TWC's sayin 100% chance & 4" in the next 48 hours now.
:confused: UGH....seen that!!!!!!!!!!  :scratch: :pouty: headed to LOTW's tomorrow!!!!!!! maybe.......i aint the one driving!!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so i did a deeper dive into this weather.........looks like it doesnt really start til about 1 pm.......we should be pretty close or on the lake by then. not sure how far of a drive it is but we are leaving Monticello by 6 am!!!!!!! :happy1: