Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635315 times)

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I have been to Wirt before...  had and Aunt and Uncle that had a place just west of there........
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I have been to Wirt before...  had and Aunt and Uncle that had a place just west of there........
remember near or what lake???????

we are about 13 miles south of wirt!

2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
it was just west of there.....

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It's hard to believe it would have froze out. Maybe your relatives fish like you?    :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's hard to believe it would have froze out. Maybe your relatives fish like you?    :rotflmao:
by that you mean we caught them all  :scratch: :rotflmao: :rotflmao in all seriousness It really doesn't surprise me. I've expected this sooner or later. From the first years we fished the lake till now  the water level has dropped 10 ft. There's no inlet or outlet. No known springs unless it's in the boggy areas and there is plenty of that.
« Last Edit: May 05/29/19, 12:43:05 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
That does stink Glenn,  I have a hard time thinking it's not naturally fed by springs or creeks,  but if you say it lost that much water you've been on barrowed time for catching fish. We had a real bad bug hatch last Friday , the bro is still out there and the fishing just dropped off. Spose your bro didn't see a bug hatch that away.. By the way do all winter kill fish float to the shore ?? Or do they sink sometimes??

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
when the lake the cabin froze out you could see dead fish on the bottom, some on shore, dont remember if it smelled............. maybe gunner was close by!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :doah: :sorry: :sorry: :oops1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :nerd:
when the lake the cabin froze out you could see dead fish on the bottom, some on shore, dont remember if it smelled............. maybe gunner was close by!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :mooning: :doah: :sorry: :sorry: :oops1:
   :bonk: :bs: :tut: :tut: :tut: :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: :taz: :taz: With the water that low, full of weeds, & all that snow could've killed off all the weeds using up all the oxygen especially with no moving water. Still hard to believe that there wouldn't be some dead fish floating & on shore, if you ask me. As far as if it smelled or not, it probably did but he was extra gassy from all those MGL's the night before :toast: & just couldn't tell. ;) :rotflmao: :nerd:
« Last Edit: May 05/30/19, 07:41:02 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Stopped at the DNR office. They'll call me tomorrow. Then I'll lay on my charming personality! :happy1: or my union thuggery, however they wanna play!! :sleazy: :sleazy: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Brother has to go back to the Dr next week again. Hopin they clear him then so we can head back up next weekend. :happy1: :cool:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Brother has to go back to the Dr next week again. Hopin they clear him then so we can head back up next weekend. :happy1: :cool:
no wonder the police scanner was quiet yesterday when i was up there................your still in Iowa!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
NO..................................I forgot to tell 'em :police: you were comin up. ;) :smiley:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
NO..................................I forgot to tell 'em :police: you were comin up. ;) :smiley:
:mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

got off the phone with a fisheries guy from the grand rapids office. they had not recieved a freeze out report as of yet. he yapped about it being a partial freeze out  :blablabla: :blablabla: :blablabla: and taking a wait and see attitude. it was a good conversation, they are going to be up on whitefish this summer so they will be checking the lake out. he did the creel survey on that lake about 10 years ago he said, so.............they were going to check it out. i got the impression if its not a totall freeze out they were going to let it replenish by itself. i will keep in touch with this guy!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, it's good to know somebody like that. I've had 2 or 3 talks & a few email exchanges with the biologist who manages Sand. He's a good guy, likes what he's doing, & goes out his way to answer any questions people might have :cool:. Like most of them.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well he told me enough information about the lake to know he has actually been there so i tend to believe he nows what he speaks of!!!!! :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Was it Dave Weitzel? He's the guy I was talking about.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Was it Dave Weitzel? He's the guy I was talking about.
nope, guy named Doyle.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Did a little research & found they only have 7 people listed for that office, thought there'd be more than that. :scratch: Maybe that's only the ones who have an office there? Must've been Doyle Hass who got a hold of you? I see that it's the same phone #(328-8836) for everyone working there. Did he call you on his cell? I got his e-mail address off that offices index web page & it's doyle.hass@state.mn.us. In case you don't already have it & want ot use it some time.
« Last Edit: June 06/03/19, 07:19:37 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Did a little research & found they only have 7 people listed for that office, thought there'd be more than that. :scratch: Matbe that's only the ones who have an office there? Must've been Doyle Hass who got a hold of you? I see that it's the same phone #(328-8836) for everyone working there. Did he call you on his cell? I got his e-mail address off that offices index web page & it's doyle.hass@state.mn.us. In case you don't already have it & want ot use it some time.
thanks, yea I don't have it but now I do!! :happy1:

Yea he made mention there constantly getting staff cuts due to budget reductions.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
mom called me today. guess she was at the cabin wed and Thursday. we actually got an electrician to come out and do something. :dancinred: :dancinred: :happy1: he is a googleye with a Marcell address. we haven't heard if he is done, guess i'll find out the weekend of the 22th. i'm headed that way come hell or high water.

he ran into a lot of rock with his trencher...…… yea no sheet!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: so he has to lay the wiring from the cabin to the shed in conduit.

Gunner...……...how bad are the bugs??? one of the stewards wife has a bug reciepe I plan on using.
for 2 gallons of water they add 2 bottles of mouthwash, preferable a mint flavor, add some Epsom salt, apparently it helps mix the mouth wash and sprays it. he claims the flies and skeeters hate it.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
why 2 gallons when ya can make one????????????   

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I can and probably adjust that reciepe, but...……...you need to realize the area at the cabin that gets treated!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I can and probably adjust that reciepe, but...……...you need to realize the area at the cabin that gets treated!!!!!!

and I thought you were going to drink the extra!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

and I thought you were going to drink the extra!!!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:confused: :tut: :tut: :doofus: :pouty: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
mom called me today. guess she was at the cabin wed and Thursday. we actually got an electrician to come out and do something. :dancinred: :dancinred: :happy1: he is a googleye with a Marcell address. we haven't heard if he is done, guess i'll find out the weekend of the 22th. i'm headed that way come hell or high water.

he ran into a lot of rock with his trencher...…… yea no sheet!!!!!!! :bonk: :bonk: so he has to lay the wiring from the cabin to the shed in conduit.

Gunner...……...how bad are the bugs??? one of the stewards wife has a bug reciepe I plan on using.
for 2 gallons of water they add 2 bottles of mouthwash, preferable a mint flavor, add some Epsom salt, apparently it helps mix the mouth wash and sprays it. he claims the flies and skeeters hate it.
Your not going to like it!  :thumbs: :pouty: Anywhere where there's long wet grass or out of the wind a little you have to keep moving or they'll try to carry you away.  :sad: I'd probably make the 2 gallons to use on 1/2 your lot that way you might kill 1/2 of 'em.  :bs: :bonk: :surrender:   

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Goggleye  did my cabin He  did a great job but never finished. I paid  for what he had done and said he would be back to finish but!!! Good luck. Headed back up tomorrow for my fourth trip. Dang fish have to bite sooner or later.    :fish2:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Goggleye  did my cabin He  did a great job but never finished. I paid  for what he had done and said he would be back to finish but!!! Good luck. Headed back up tomorrow for my fourth trip. Dang fish have to bite sooner or later.    :fish2:
I warned her about that name...……………...but like everything else they don't listen to me, so...…...i'll let them deal with it!!!!!!! then tell them told ya so.

at least he showed up, were still waiting for that Williams out of squaw lake. :doofus: :doofus: :confused:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Your not going to like it!  :thumbs: :pouty: Anywhere where there's long wet grass or out of the wind a little you have to keep moving or they'll try to carry you away.  :sad: I'd probably make the 2 gallons to use on 1/2 your lot that way you might kill 1/2 of 'em.  :bs: :bonk: :surrender:
:banghead: :banghead:UGH, I was afraid that's what you'd say. well get to killing them, i'll be up june 22nd weekend. maybe some of them will have died off. we don't have a lot of long grass in the yard, but...…………...

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Bet with the way your surrounded with woods at your place you'll be able to hear 'em though.  :crazy:  They'll be sayin  come here. I'm hungry! I'm hungry!  :rolleyes: :mad1: Dewpoint must be very low today as the grass is soakin wet & no breeze yet so they're super nasty when I was out early. :thumbs: :pouty:
« Last Edit: June 06/10/19, 05:24:10 PM by Gunner55 »