Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635380 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
:scratch: :doah: Checked it out on the association's website & according to that the avg ice up since '95 is ~18 or 19th of November.
i can believe that.........you got some deep water by you. maybe some current too!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
'Bout the only current I've noticed when the ice is goin out is wind driven off the Narrows around the points leaving our bay. From what I've seen our bay is earlier than a lot of the lake as there's more current just about everywhere else. That 40' hole isn't much more than 50-60 yds off our dock though.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Made it back from the hunt. My buddy got a 6 pointer and my son got a 9 and a 10. Saw a total of 23 deer for the crew, good year for us. Now getting ready for the ice. Lots of small lakes look like they are almost ready to go up there.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Made it back from the hunt. My buddy got a 6 pointer and my son got a 9 and a 10. Saw a total of 23 deer for the crew, good year for us. Now getting ready for the ice. Lots of small lakes look like they are almost ready to go up there.
:happy1: good to hear!!👍

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
looking at the cams this morning, appears they got a dusting of snow. weather forecasts, all 3 i look at, shows it will be SLOWLY making ice.  dont think i'll be going up the second weekend in dec and wait till the 3rd when the red lake G-T-G happens!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Forgot to tell ya :bonk: that the people who run the resort by where you put in on Little Sand posted that there was a portable out up there Tuesday.
« Last Edit: November 11/28/20, 09:27:42 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Forgot to tell ya :bonk: that the people who run the resort by where you put in on Little Sand posted that there was a portable out up there Tuesday.
I can believe that. Bet it wasn't in that channel near the bridge though

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Or the channel comin in from Sand either. :tut: :crazy: I'd think :scratch: the other side(east) would be the 1st to have good ice.  :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea there or between the 2 channels on the west side in that little kinda bay.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Frequent gusts of 35 mph & occasionally up to 40 at the lake today. :crazy: That won't help the ice much. :doah:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
ice is getting less here too... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
looked at the cams, doesnt appear the wind has affected the ice on bowstring........yet!

looks like it affected it some at the narrows. hardly any snow on the ground......which is a good thing.....for da ice or lack of right now!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
NW wind won't hit Geiger's at all, I'd bet :scratch: the PA down off Oteneagen Rd looks a lot like it does over at The Narrows.
« Last Edit: November 11/29/20, 10:18:47 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Geigers posted there is 3 to 4 inches everywhere they checked. There is a heave starting to form also. Might have to go up in a week as a few of the smaller walk on lakes will be fine to fish.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Geigers posted there is 3 to 4 inches everywhere they checked. There is a heave starting to form also. Might have to go up in a week as a few of the smaller walk on lakes will be fine to fish.
make sure you post what you kind of conditions you come across, and GPS cords. :nerd: :nerd:

Oh and I know hayslips cords, so  :tut: :rotflmao:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I'm not smart enough to figure out the GPS cords, you should know that by now.      :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm not smart enough to figure out the GPS cords, you should know that by now.      :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: oh so your one of them guys that says..........you line up the birch tree thats leaning with the red maple in one direction, then the green dock with the lone pine tree.  :rotflmao: gotcha......me too!!!!!!!! :pouty: :pouty: :pouty: :rotflmao:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I grew up telling people where I got fish that way and always will. I'm really old school and proud of it. And I will never change. Too dang old to change.      :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
looked at the cams last night before dark. didnt look like the wind messed with the ice in front of giegers..........yea ok gunner you were right!!!!!!!! :bow: :happy1: oh that hurt bad!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

looked as though the ice took a hit over at the narrows, but man this morning the narrows sure made ice overnight. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hey Merc, did take a tour of the area?? check out a bunch of smaller lakes??? any open???

have you ever fished big too much?????? that is on the west side of 6......... :smoking: :evil:
thats on my hit list to set up a spear shack but with it being really deep i'm gonna hold off for a while yet!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I was surprised at how The Narrows cam looked this mornin too. Looked to be all locked back up to me. :crazy: Ever try Jessie, glenn. :scratch: I know it's deep & think I heard that there's a spring in there but Chris(Bstore) told me last year(?) that 1 of her boys got a real nice nord out of there spearing.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was surprised at how The Narrows cam looked this mornin too. Looked to be all locked back up to me. :crazy: Ever try Jessie, glenn. :scratch: I know it's deep & think I heard that there's a spring in there but Chris(Bstore) told me last year(?) that 1 of her boys got a real nice nord out of there spearing.
yea i have but its been years. we got on behind rileys at the access. one time when i was way younger and probably dumber i set up a spear house 50-70 yards from open water. :confused: :confused: :crazy: no more of that.

we had another group of about 6-7 guys hit the lake and set up all over that south end, we got a few but i dont remember anything earth shattering. only vivid memory is i bent a snowmobile ski because some yackoff didnt bust up or pt his spear chunk back in the hole!!!! :angry2:

and that lake kicks my  :moon: open water!!!!!!! :pouty:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Have heard it's pretty tough for open water, so clear.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to take the kids to that access to swim in there younger days. You can walk out pretty far and not get above there chest. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
the cams this morning showed more ice then yesterday in the current areas!!!!! :happy1:

things are looking up!!!!! :happy1:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Glenn, only fished Big Too Much once and that was for sunnies. Everywhere we went it was non stop but never got one  even close to keeping. I was told there aren't a lot of northerns in there but there are some big ones. Last DNR test netting they only had six in the nets but two over 35". So I guess they were correct on that. I left after deer hunting and the small lakes were all frozen that I checked. We did pretty good on Jessie last summer for walleye but the size was down from other years. Lot of northern in there but not much for size from what I have seen. I have talked to people that said the size is getting better though. Always a bunch of spear houses in front of the access every year. Hopefully I'll get up there next week as those small lakes have to be safe by now I would think. I walked out on one two weeks ago so I'm not worried about that one.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well just talked to my buddy that usually comes up with me. he's coming the 17th.

think i'll leave that monday the 14th as i want to do a little exploring on a few lakes that froze out. nuttin like a spearhole and decoy to see whats really down there!!!! :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen a couple guys out on the ice on the west side of the Narrows a few minutes ago(10-15), went back to see what they up to, they'd moved but were still there. Then the cam updated the shot & all of a sudden they were gone. They couldn't have drilled more than 2 holes.
« Last Edit: December 12/02/20, 11:55:40 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
There's a couple guys out on the west side of The Narrows right now.
:happy1: :happy1: thats a great sign for smaller lakes i'll be hitting!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey merc when you actually heading up and coming back??? :scratch: nobody seems to want to give updates from up that way. :pouty: :confused: