Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 635495 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
At least 1 portable out NW of The Narrows, might even be 2 or 3, can't tell for sure.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
been keeping a real close eye on the weather forecast up there, after today no above freezing temps, and since i wont hit the ice till monday morning i got  alot of confidence in being able to hit the lake with a wheeler.  :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It looks a lot worse at the Narrows again this morning, lots of dark ice. Kinda looks like there's a portable out to the north of Geiger's landing early today though.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i just looked too. seen that out of geigers.

yea the narrows ice looks tough, but that is moving water there. there looks to be someone out when you go to the still pictures out from the bar cam, and something, or a few are out from the boat ramp and docks cam??????

looking at the extended weather forecast its gonna make ice. according to that lows at 2 and 4 for sunday and monday nite. i will definetely be careful but not to concerned at his point!! just hitting smaller lakes ive been on early ice in the past!!!!

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was on Lt. Turtle Tuesday, six inches of ice. One house on the lake and a couple of old spear holes in front of the landing, no fish. Went to a small lake Wednesday, eight inches of ice and the hot bite was last week I was told. I'm always late out there. Still a few biting but slow. Talked to a guy that was on Bow, he said  they took four wheelers out and had about eight inches. A few lakes looked scary when I went by so I would keep on the smaller lakes. Looks like it will make ice starting today. Might have to make another trip and take the wheeler this time.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I was on Lt. Turtle Tuesday, six inches of ice. One house on the lake and a couple of old spear holes in front of the landing, no fish. Went to a small lake Wednesday, eight inches of ice and the hot bite was last week I was told. I'm always late out there. Still a few biting but slow. Talked to a guy that was on Bow, he said  they took four wheelers out and had about eight inches. A few lakes looked scary when I went by so I would keep on the smaller lakes. Looks like it will make ice starting today. Might have to make another trip and take the wheeler this time.
:happy1: :happy1: thanks for the update Merc!!!!! :happy1: i wasnt planning on hitting any big lakes. going to set up the spearhouse on cabin lake, the little lake just north of us that froze out, and on gunderson for a couple days.

gunderson i'm going to set up on the hwy 6 side between the access and the old spot where you used to be able to go on.    along that shoreline is a big strecth of cabbage weeds. my favorite weed to target pike. and usually the best area in the summer i've found!

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Good luck Glenn. It's been a lot of years since I hit Gunderson. They have a nice access now. Some day I'll have to try it again. May just head up next week. Not sure yet.   

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks, I've only chased nords out there. Heard there is ok crappies, some bass, and little sunfish. Not sure about walleyes. I was on the lake 4 different times this past summer and had the access to myself. There were other boats but property owners. Never seen more than 2 other boats at one time.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Those 3 portables that were out on the east side of the Narrows are back out there this mornin. There's 1 way off in the distance at Gieger's as well as somebodies gear in a Otter sled right next to their ramp today early too,

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yesterday i sent a text to one of the guys i know at ASV asking what he has heard. he said the big lakes had 4-5 inches of ice. he didnt know about the small lakes. kettle over on HSO said he seen some wheeler out on some of the smaller lakes on hwy 38 last week going towards Marcell.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I'm sure the little lakes you'll be on will be good to go. No springs or feeder creeks on 'em is there?  :scratch: :confused: Just don't fall in!! :tut: :crazy: ;) :laugh: :laugh: Good Luck & be safe!! :happy1: :cool:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, I'm sure the little lakes you'll be on will be good to go. No springs or feeder creeks on 'em is there?  :scratch: :confused: Just don't fall in!! :tut: :crazy: ;) :laugh: :laugh: Good Luck & be safe!! :happy1: :cool:
i wont be anywhere near the creeks on peterson. and the other 2, not that i'm aware of. gunderson i believe has a creek but on the opposite side the lake i'll be on!!!!!!! :happy1:

by noon tomorrow i'll have a pretty good idea of ice thickness when i get lake water for the cabin. wont hit the lake fishing until monday morning after its light out!!!!! :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just checked the weather/temps..........its making ice!! 26 for a high today!

sun....24/2
mon....8/1
tues......18/13

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well.......pretty set to go.......i figure 45 minutes most from the time i get outta bed till i hit da road!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :dancinred:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
well.......pretty set to go.......i figure 45 minutes most from the time i get outta bed till i hit da road!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :dancinred:
I'm sure management wished you had that get up and go all them years..  :bonk:  ;)   Good luck chum!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm sure management wished you had that get up and go all them years..  :bonk:  ;)   Good luck chum!!
:rotflmao: what management you talkin about?? Pretty sure it wasn't the employer group. :rotflmao:

Thanks can't wait. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a quick update tonight. There's about 2-3 inches of snow on the ground. And not much on the lakes. The 3 lakes, I was on had 8-9 inches of ice. Keep in mind I didn't go in any deep water not did I venture out far.

Red lake I'd say 12 inches but heard it was not consistent. That ice on red was rough.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so a little recap of my week. got up there sunday nd did the usual chores. fed da birds etc. we needed to replace a dock section on the little lake behind us. i built it this summer. figured it be kinda tough to do, but it only took 1 beer to get in in place and old one out.

monday.....hit a lake with the spear shack thats also froze out , or should i say had a severe winter kill, 2 years in a row. but i did catch a bunch of little nords this past summer. someone already beat me to the lake. there was a spearhole and about 30 holes drilled in the deep water. seen 2 little ones. water was really bog stained and tough to see.

tuesday went to a lake north of talmoon. man i hit the jackpot. went back wed, seen about 15 fish but all lived to see another day. wed was slow thirsay and friday was even worse. 

sat was the G-T-G RED trip.............over all the weather was good. below 0 on mon and tues and of course the day we went to red.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Looks like they got some snow overnight up there too, not near what JB had this am though, IMO.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job Glenn.  Nice batch.  Have the wife clean them and go get another batch.  I keep trying that but the wife just isn't on board with it.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Good job Glenn.  Nice batch.  Have the wife clean them and go get another batch.  I keep trying that but the wife just isn't on board with it.
headed back after Christmas. Yea I'll clean fish, especially nords. She had helped though.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
headed back christmas morning i think. hpope the roads are good after this supposed snowmaggedden the weather terriorist are yappin about.

looked at the up nort cams........looking like more activity on da ice!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
tomorrow could be interesting for sure... 
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like ~ an inch on the birdhouse at the Narrows already, it's movin around pretty good too so it's hard to see much.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
looked at the cams up there. looks to me like the snow has started.

looking at the 10 day forecast, i think i might change my plans and wait a few days to head up. because now i can!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd: there a few nights there saying 7-10 below. based on experience that usually means 10-15 below. :confused: being retired i dont need to deal with that no more.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Didn't have time to look yday but on the weekend there was 4 or 5, maybe even 6 portables off to the WNW @ the Narrows then. Yeah, the 10 day for SLT shows tomorrow, Sunday, Monday, & maybe even Tuesday with highs in the single digits. Pretty chilly overnight(~ -10) too.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
gunner, when you looked at geigers, did it look like they have a road plowed out???????

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just checked the cams up there, dam it looks cold pretty quiet to!!!!!!!! :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
gunner, when you looked at geigers, did it look like they have a road plowed out???????
Yeah, you can still see part of it today yet. It's going pretty much straight east off their ramp, they must be getting ready to park the wheelhouses out front on the ice too as they've been plowing that for the last week or so. Actually seen 'em last week 1 day, using a wheeler doin it.
« Last Edit: December 12/24/20, 10:45:55 AM by Gunner55 »