Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 642441 times)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: It looks much better this morning & there should be a lot less traffic today. Mid-upper 50's today & tomorrow then the wind is 'sposed to go back to the north with more normal temps of upper 30's to ~ 40*  for ~ a week or so.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
just looked too.....looks like a glazed doughnut!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Check this out http://www.jeffsundin.com/Minnesota_Fishing_Reports_and_Outdoor_Links.htm
Check the new update from yday, check the map, many have restricted accesses today. Nodaks is closed unless your a guest of theirs.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Check this out http://www.jeffsundin.com/Minnesota_Fishing_Reports_and_Outdoor_Links.htm
Check the new update from yday, check the map, many have restricted accesses today. Nodaks is closed unless your a guest of theirs.
well that sucks........ dakids plan was nodaks.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
hey Gunner..........any idea if the crappies on bowstring is an all day type of bite or early morning/evening thing??????

think on my way up and before i get to the cabin i'm gonna swing through Geigers and check things out. i have no intention of driving truck out, will be ATV!!!!!!! that might be a thursday adventure!!!!!!! :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
You check the weather? I seen 1 that says 3-5" Wednesday night :scratch:, so you might not be able to get out. :rolleyes: :laugh: Only did well over there once & it was mid-day almost straight out in front of the CR 35 access. A bunch of people there that day. Might be pretty sloppy & if they're bitin you'll have some company.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like 3-4 houses & a couple trucks sittin out in front of Geiger's already this morning so the :fish2: must be bitin.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You check the weather? I seen 1 that says 3-5" Wednesday night :scratch:, so you might not be able to get out. :rolleyes: :laugh: Only did well over there once & it was mid-day almost straight out in front of the CR 35 access. A bunch of people there that day. Might be pretty sloppy & if they're bitin you'll have some company.
i did well out in from of that access to.....but only once. went out in front of a blue-green boat shed....but then with your version of colors  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

yea i've been looking at the weather..........not to worried.....most say not much. hell last night the 34 said bemidji was going to get 11 inches but the weather guy saifd that aint right.

as far as compnay.........then i'll know where to go!!!!!!! :nerd: :nerd: :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
They found Zeeb's over there now, knew they would eventually make it down the river. Bet the water clarity has changed, maybe even a lot so it wouldn't surprise me if the :fish2: are deeper. Is this what you call blue/green?  :scratch: :doah: https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0geKed2oEdgU8kAoyZXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj?p=the+color+black&fr=mcafee  :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd:                                        ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 03/09/21, 01:28:05 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Was on Bow yesterday, drove the truck out and everywhere I checked ice was 18" to 20". Won't drive out anymore. Ice is very tricky to walk around on, rough and slick. Caught some fish but small, people I talked to said the same. I don't know if I just didn't find them or if it was just a bad day, or wrong time of day. Geigers had pictures of a bucket full this weekend but by the sun it looked later in the day. Did get fish on a smaller lake not far from me so it turned out fine. Good luck on the perch hunt on Winnie.     :happy1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Awe f@#_+_ just got an alert on my phone. 4-6 inches of snow maybe up there wed into Thursday. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That's the reason I'm back. The Duluth stations were saying rain, freezing rain and snow mixed starting tomorrow morning into Thursday morning. I was planning on coming back tomorrow but as I get older I tend to play it on the safe side. 

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
If they're right we may wait a day.  :pouty:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
That's the reason I'm back. The Duluth stations were saying rain, freezing rain and snow mixed starting tomorrow morning into Thursday morning. I was planning on coming back tomorrow but as I get older I tend to play it on the safe side.
i'm hoping to beat it before it gets there.

Merc, i asked several different locals years back about the weather forecasts........who they watched or listened too. they always told me they usually get what bemidji gets.so thats where i get my weather from up there. :happy1: :happy1:

duluth and the so called iron range gets different weather then we do there.......
« Last Edit: March 03/09/21, 04:37:29 PM by glenn57 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Channel 4 has 2.2 inches forecast. Hope there right

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I'm here and nuttin yet. Bowstring 35 access is good.
 Heading there tomorrow.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Hope it stays south for ya. They’re talking 4-8” around Grand Rapids. Of course, we know they are occasionally wrong.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks like it could nasty between Garrison & Deer River when we'll be traveling, so we're waiting another day. So I won't make it Friday, hope to see everybody Saturday. Big Winnie Store ~ 7:00 then is my plan.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Hope it stays south for ya. They’re talking 4-8” around Grand Rapids. Of course, we know they are occasionally wrong.
Glenn said he had 3 1/2" & I'd say he was spot on with what we had. We're < 10 miles SW of him. Needed to take the blade off the wheeler for :fishing: Saturday so I made 4-5 passes down the drive 1st. By the end of the day the cabin end of it was back to bare ground. Most of the rest disappeared yday.
« Last Edit: March 03/14/21, 11:59:30 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn said he had 3 1/2" & I'd say he was spot on with what we had. We're < 10 miles SW of him. Needed to take the blade off the wheeler for :fishing: Saturday so I made 4-5 passes down the drive 1st. By the end of the day the cabin end of it was back to bare ground. Most of the rest disappeared yday.
Yep. Now it’s time to start raking and hauling pine needles out to the woods.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I actually have an old metal box spring off a full size bed that I use as a drag which helps a lot with those. Still need to do a little raking but not too much. :happy1:
« Last Edit: March 03/15/21, 08:38:36 AM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
whatever is left in the cabin yard will be dealt with by the lawnmower!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: already picked up brush!!!!!!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Lawnmower doesn’t work on the pine needles. Also most of them are in flowers and shrubs close to the house, so they get raked out to the horn and into the front end loader on the tractor.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Got some big pines on the north side here & it was like mowing a big pile of dirt all the time. I started hauling some buckets of free compost from GR 3-4 years ago & finally got some grass goin there now. I try to keep those pine needles cleaned up at least every Spring & Fall so it doesn't kill what I do have started while letting the 10-10-10 I put down about then do some good. I will haul some needles to the burn barrel every year too & they don't even burn very good either.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the pine needles here burn darn good!!!  had one heck of a good blaze last spring with them!!!   :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I have so many I just stuff the barrel too full :doofus: so they smolder for too long :tut: but when they go it's snap, crackle, pop & stand back or you might regret it.  :crazy:

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
We burn as much as we can, but we have so many big red pines that we can’t do all of them. They pack down in the burn pile, and you have to keep stirring them to let air get at the ones underneath.  I’ve been making piles of them out in the woods. They don’t really compost well, but pack down over time. I have had piles that were probably over 10 feet in diameter and 5 feet high.

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: Same here, 3-4 piles around different areas of our lot, not as big as yours though. Your right about them not composting well, some of mine are still a little damp when I throw them in the barrel too.
« Last Edit: March 03/15/21, 12:27:37 PM by Gunner55 »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
We burn as much as we can, but we have so many big red pines that we can’t do all of them. They pack down in the burn pile, and you have to keep stirring them to let air get at the ones underneath.  I’ve been making piles of them out in the woods. They don’t really compost well, but pack down over time. I have had piles that were probably over 10 feet in diameter and 5 feet high.
thats why i prefer short needle pines!!!!!!! i deal with pine cones up the wazoo here at home.

last fall the garbage man had quit collecting the yard waste and i still had some maple leaves to get rid of so i hauled them to the cabin. over the winter the deer worked over that pile pretty good!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: