Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 631714 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yea Gunner it was crazy. This was the 43rd year this crew has been coming up and it was probably our best year for numbers and size. We went off a point coming out in 12 feet and the fish were stacked up. We had a double on three times and I can't even count how many we missed. Hopefully they stick around for a few more days.
Yea I'll be waiting for a pm on location, location and location!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao:
:scratch: :bonk: :banghead: :doah: IT"S LAKE XXXXX, GLENN!!!!!  :doofus:                :sleazy: :nerd: :nerd: :evil:                                 :super smiley: :super smiley: :laughroll: :laughroll:
:angry2: :confused: :pouty: :pouty:
:oops1: :sorry:                             ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
well......i just sent the DNR fisheries guy in grand rapids an email asking if they did anything to the lake!!!!!!!  :evil: :rolleyes: wait and see what he says!!!!!

i spent about 4 hours on the lake when i was up there. i seen NO spawning beds beds anywhere on the lake. bunch of minnows......  tried for crappies shallow and deeper, figured they could be staging.........nope. did catch a bunch of pike...like 20-25. all except 3 where 10-12 inches long. 2 where about 20 inches and one right at 26.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen on Nextdoor where they're giving CV-19 shots up at the Spring Lake Store for 2 hours on Saturday. No appt needed.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Seen on Nextdoor where they're giving CV-19 shots up at the Spring Lake Store for 2 hours on Saturday. No appt needed.
WOW........no kidding. a few trips back i stopped in there, Dee was working she said the vacines where pretty readily available all over. cool to hear!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so the other day i did in fact get a response from that Wentzel in grand rapids fisheries. in a nutshell here is what he said........

winter kill can be good for a lake.  based on the survey last year. crappies are small so other then some adults most wont spawn this year. the pike look good as well as maybe some bigger perch. then.......... they discussed collecting sunfish and bass but no action was taken.

then he goes on to say the last decade staff diminished by half via retirements and vacancies.........

lost several positions that wont be filled........... unexpected staff shortages this spring.......... and not enough staffing resources to collect fish for Peterson.... :confused: :doah: :angry2:

i thought of replying .......but you had enough resources to collect walleye eggs............ but i didnt!! :doofus:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Now Glenn be nice, don't go messing with my walleye fishing.    :smiley:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Now Glenn be nice, don't go messing with my walleye fishing.    :smiley:
  :sleazy: :nerd: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I've met a lady that works for the DNR who usually helps work the egg collection @ Little Cutfoot. She must live near Squaw Lake cause that's where I've always seen her but she said her regular job is on URL. So they must combine more than 1 area's people for some projects. :scratch: :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I've met a lady that works for the DNR who usually helps work the egg collection @ Little Cutfoot. She must live near Squaw Lake cause that's where I've always seen her but she said her regular job is on URL. So they must combine more than 1 area's people for some projects. :scratch: :confused:
:pouty: :pouty: soooo they can come from all over the state to collect walleye eggs......... but everything else is dog meat!!!!!!!!!! :confused: :sleazy: training-087 :banghead: :taz: :pouty:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: Hardly all over the state, Squaw Lake to the egg collection site is ~ 10 miles! :pouty: I was under the impression that they don't ask her to, she volunteers.  :scratch: Think she told me that she usually works out of Kelliher office.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:tut: Hardly all over the state, Squaw Lake to the egg collection site is ~ 10 miles! :pouty: I was under the impression that they don't ask her to, she volunteers.  :scratch: Think she told me that she usually works out of Kelliher office.
:tut: :tut: yea and squaw lake to Kelliher is close to an hour drive!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao:

besides..ya missed my point!!!!!!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao: dont  :tut: bedefending those roughfish??????? :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: June 06/04/21, 08:24:45 AM by glenn57 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: NO IT"S NOT!! It's 63.6 miles from here to Waskish so :mooning:............................. & I did NOT miss your point, just gettin tired of all the :cry: :cry: :cry: :violin: :violin: :violin:                     ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :confused: :banghead: :banghead: training-087 call it what you may. Our family had a very vested interest. :doah:

The DNR wants you to report stuff like this yet not go jack sh!t about it. :confused: you call it whining,I call it speaking up for what I believe is right.

I used to not have issues with buying licenses and fee increases, but kinda do now! I'll still buy license but if they start talking fee increases I'm going to bitch.... Just not here, sure don't want to be accused of whining. :pouty:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
There's two problems with the lake by you when it comes to the DNR. First is the majority of money goes to the lakes with the biggest tourism. People that come from out of state and people who stay at resorts. A lot of these come for the walleye fishing so stocking needs to be done to keep a decent population. And second is the lake by you has a history of having partial freeze outs so they hesitate to put any big amount of time and money into these lakes. With the cuts due to the virus just compounds those issues. I personally love the lake and have been fishing it since the late 60s and would hope they do something but that lake is at the bottom of the priority list for them. It can't hurt to keep bugging them and if they have some fish available they will have the lake on their radar. Good luck!!!      :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
There's two problems with the lake by you when it comes to the DNR. First is the majority of money goes to the lakes with the biggest tourism. People that come from out of state and people who stay at resorts. A lot of these come for the walleye fishing so stocking needs to be done to keep a decent population. And second is the lake by you has a history of having partial freeze outs so they hesitate to put any big amount of time and money into these lakes. With the cuts due to the virus just compounds those issues. I personally love the lake and have been fishing it since the late 60s and would hope they do something but that lake is at the bottom of the priority list for them. It can't hurt to keep bugging them and if they have some fish available they will have the lake on their radar. Good luck!!!      :happy1:
yea i kinda know that in the back of my mind....... just irritates me to no end. it worked before so i thought i'd give it a whirl.

when i talked to Mr fairbanks a year ago he said he seen my emails to those fisheries guys...........so i thought i best play nice or we could have visitors.......not that  we do illegal stuff..............

headed back up tuesday....gonna cross hwy 6 this time.......gonna fish little turtle!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1: :fish2: :fish2: thinking maybe that maple lake too!!!!!!! one of these trips i'm also gonna take a run at that long lake up 6 from talmoon!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Had the start of a Mayfly hatch here on Friday morning. :pouty: My graph was black with clouds of 'em not yet to the surface as well. Never even checked much of the deep mud where they're usually covering the surface early mornings.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Had the start of a Mayfly hatch here on Friday morning. :pouty: My graph was black with clouds of 'em not yet to the surface as well. Never even checked much of the deep mud where they're usually covering the surface early mornings.
:pouty: well that might suck for fishing..........how long does this last?????????

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It seems to vary a bit here :scratch:, anywhere from ~ a week to ~ 3 weeks last year. :doah: Usually it's closer to 2 weeks for us, not really certain why it varies so much but I'm bettin the hot weather has something to do with it. The smaller lakes you hit might be different too or they might not be. :confused:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Headed out the door at the Bstore today I asked Tim if he's heard anything about Mayflies. He said yup, they're hatchin. :rolleyes: :bonk: There was a guy from Bowstring that had just walked in & he said they were all over, over there too. Sounded like Tim had heard a lot of reports of them in the last few days.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm in deer river, gunner should be shaken in his bloomers. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :sleazy: when I drove into the cabin, this family of geese was lounging on our shoreline.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
This loon came within 10 ft of us. :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
okay dokey..........

so got there on tuesday..after getting unloaded and a few things done i took the boat over to the little lake behind us. did the catch and release of about 50 sunfish and 2 little bass. had fire nd drank beer!!!!!!!

wed by buddy shows up about 2 pm. he unloads a few beers later we where off to to little turtle lake by talmoon. we caught and kept 6 nords, no walleyes  :pouty: then not only did we ger rained off the lake but it friggin hailed on us and of course we where on the opposite end of the lake of the access.  :crazy: :confused: :rotflmao: we got beaned by ping pong sized hail, friggin hurt when it hit yea, especially in the noggin!!

thursday in the AM we hit lake XXX. worked liike hell to get 24 sunfish.not a ripple on the lake and hotter than hell........seriously!!!!
in the afternoon we hit up gunderson up hwy 6 from talmoon.........kept 7 pike. oh yea this was the day the deer flies, horseflies and then friggin ankle biting little flies where horrible.  :angry2: otherwise they werent to bad at all.

friday......i've always wanted to fish big to much lake, my buddy was game.....lets just say the structure in that lake was crazy insane, pretty lake but it now is on the do not bother to go back to list!!!! that afternoon we went back to lake XXX......that picture of the sunfish in the panfish thread.......we got them in like 35 minutes, it was none stop and not many little ones.

saturday we went back to little turtle and got 6 more nords and decided we fished enough......had a fire and drank beer and kinda got stuff ready to head home today!!!!!

we also seen agood amount of deer, even a little feller in all kinds of spots!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I was up this weekend with no boat, cut and trimmed grass and cleaned inside for my next trip on Thursday. Third trip with three different crews, First two trips the walleye were crazy but with the water warming I'm afraid they will be pushed deep and scattered. Two of the guys are diehard walleye guys but the other  two in my boat don't really care what we fish so if the walleye don't bite it will be panfish time. The detour in Crosby started today. Back streets, it's a pain in the butt. Little Turtle huh? Your pushing into my turf, that could be a problem. I'll have to get the boys together and start patrolling the area for those West side sixers.   :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :sleazy: :rotflmao: :nerd: :laughroll: find me if ya can. :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
By the way Merc, we stopped at hayslips, I needed more beer. Not sure if the gal working was an owner, but she was pretty nice. Friendly. She filled up a water jug for me. :happy1:

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I stopped Sunday, a blonde lady was working.   I didn't have a chance to visit with her as it  was busy but she was very nice. I will check it out this week as we leave Thursday.   :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
dont think the lady we dealt with was blonde????? but she was kinda cute!!!!! :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline roony

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, she was smiling at you not for you.