Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 645585 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Nice fish.  Is that Shadow or does he have a yellow lab?
not shadow, that's his pooch  :happy1: about 1500.00 worth and has to feed it special Foo d

We are sure happy with Purina like you.
:happy1: :happy1: good to hear......its all i've ever fed my dogs!!!!of course i may have a bit of bias.....when in high school i worked at a feed mill that sold purina feeds!!!!!!! :rolleyes: but it works well for me!!!!! :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
My dogs just love it.  Like candy to them. Of course Jake is still on Purina Puppy Chow.  No more diarrhea neither. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
My dogs just love it.  Like candy to them. Of course Jake is still on Purina Puppy Chow.  No more diarrhea neither.
the no runny stools is the best part!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
kettle.....hows that trip north of the border going?????

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: tomorrow can't come soon enough. :confused: brother texted me a picture of a nice batch of sunfish with a few crappies in the mix.

First project though is to go check to see what kind of shape deerstands are in. That's Oct 28th weekend project.

Years ago when my step kid started hunting I built a stand way further back out of treated wood , I'm tearing that down and going to remodel the one I use now. He doesn't seem to want to work so he ain't hunting with me until he's gainfully employed.

No it won't be boar style deer stand either  :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well it was a great 6 days at the cabin.....dropped a couple big trees that were dead and mother nature could of did some serious damage.  cut split and stacked a bunch of wood.

tried fishing one day but with whitecaps and me being alone a no go. fished the little lake behind us, was  bright sunny day so its usually not good, but i did find some really nice  panfish in deep water....all are back for another day!!!!

deer stands are in pretty good shape.....need some saw work on the trails in though.

grouse....seen a good amount.but damn nabit i think my shells didnt have BB's in them!!! :bonk: :bonk: what was odd was all the so called experts said ya gotta hit swamp edges, thick stuff........i seen 99% of them on well used trails and roads.

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
grouse....seen a good amount.but damn nabit i think my shells didnt have BB's in them!!! :bonk: :bonk: what was odd was all the so called experts said ya gotta hit swamp edges, thick stuff........i seen 99% of them on well used trails and roads.
Maybe cause you spend 99% of y'er time walkin on trails and roads?   :scratch:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe cause you spend 99% of y'er time walkin on trails and roads?   :scratch:
training-087 training-087 :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: i put on a good 8 miles hoofing it through less traveled stuff to bucko!!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
I talked to another guy who saw a bunch of grouse on the Superior Hiking Trail.  Maybe last year was just really bad and they rebounded this year.   :confused:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
From what I'm hearing is with the amount of snow we had and not a crusty top layer the grouse had plenty of shelter over winter combined with the dryer that normal spring the hatch survival was way above average.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 I know there was a pretty big group over at the resort a week or so ago & a good share of 'em were hunting grouse almost every day. The neighbor talked to 1 of them 1 day & he was told that the group had shot 14 the day before.  :scratch: Think they were covering a lot of ground though as there was at least 4 or 5, maybe even 6, SXS's over there for that week or so they were here.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Gunner...........i just was on HSO/FM and Wanderer posted a resort owner reported a zebra mussel on a pontoon on Jessie..................you hear anything about it????????

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, it was in the Fall newsletter, which has been out for just about a month.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: that's crazy,as a member of the board and not even being informed.  :pouty: :thumbs:

Really starting to wonder this was a good idea. :scratch: :doah:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: that's crazy,as a member of the board and not even being informed.  :pouty: :thumbs:

ruh roh...
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

ruh roh...
yep.........

1).......right after the first meeting i went to in AUG the VP  couldnt make it, had to go back to Arkansas, his place is on our lake as well. nice guy when you visit him.  i sent him an email with thoughts on the new Prez agenda...........nary a word back.

2) current dues are $15.00....he wants to raise it to $50.00. his math says we'd have more money, even if we lose a few. i told the board when the secretary sent the meeting minutes i'd prefer this be a marathon not a sprint........meaning more members with a modest increase........Nary a word from anybody. 

3) new prez claims he knows a guy that put an ariator system in our lake free of charge to so call advertise it with the state.....yea right....

4) regarding our lake freezing out.......the JLWA did convince the DNR  to stock fish. it was my understanding they were going to test it this past summer........new prez said he'd get in touch with this Wentzel guy........nary a word!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: :tut: That's NOT how the SLPOA works, never has & never will. According to Weitzel we are 1 of the longest running lake associatuons in the state after just celebrating our 30th year. Most are formed over an issue on the lake & often are dissolved within a couple years after a solution is found.  :scratch: It might've been Next Door where we heard about Jessie too, as I just looked at the Fall paper & didn't see anyting in it on that. There was a report of Starry Stonewart in Dora Lake in the paper though & that's some nasty stuff. It can make a lake close to unusable.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
the Osakis lake association was founded in 1976..  at one time they said the little lake Osakis was a holding pond for the big lake..   we argued about that..   so i never joined it...   

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya Gunner got me wondering about our association also, I remember going to the meetings when I was a kid, free donuts ya know..lol. Anywho I had pops look into it and the association was formed even before Grandpa bought the land in 66.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just looked at the 3 webcams up there, bowstring, sand and the narrows.........ice as far as i can see!!!!!!!! :happybounce: :happybounce: :rocker; :dancinred: :blues brothers:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The 10-day says 36 tomorrow at your girl's place. :sleazy: :evil:   ;) :rolleyes: :smiley: Above freezing on the weekend & again Wednesday/Thursday next week. :confused: It's dark & spitting snow on The Narrow's cam I get, & it has 10 PM yday on the date stamp. :scratch:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
The 10-day says 36 tomorrow at your girl's place. :sleazy: :evil:   ;) :rolleyes: :smiley: Above freezing on the weekend & again Wednesday/Thursday next week. :confused: It's dark & spitting snow on The Narrow's cam I get, & it has 10 PM yday on the date stamp. :scratch:
yea........and how many hours during the day will it be that high?????? not many so most them hours will be making ice.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Real windy too..........................like CS!!!!!!1 ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 11/28/23, 03:45:42 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It's a sunny day so I checked the satellite & it doesn't look to me like Sand & Bowstring are quite locked up yet. :scratch: All the smaller lakes in our area look to be though. If you'd like to look for yourself, here's the link.....https://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=t1&product=true_color&date=2023_11_29_333&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&overlay_coastline=true&sector=USA3& You can change the date & zoom in the upper left corner. :surrender:   ;) :rolleyes: :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 11/29/23, 02:09:13 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
didn't work for me

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
It's a sunny day so I checked the satellite & it doesn't look to me like Sand & Bowstring are quite locked up yet. :scratch: All the smaller lakes in our area look to be though. If you'd like to look for yourself, here's the link.....https://ge.ssec.wisc.edu/modis-today/index.php?satellite=t1&product=true_color&date=2023_11_29_333&overlay_sector=false&overlay_state=true&overlay_coastline=true&sector=USA3& You can change the date & zoom in the upper left corner. :surrender:   ;) :rolleyes: :laugh:
not fishing them 2 so........... :mooning: :mooning: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :pouty: A lot of people don't even think that's really fishing!!!!1  :sleazy:  :nerd: :evil:      :mooning: ;) :rolleyes: :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 11/29/23, 07:55:52 PM by Gunner55 »