Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 645637 times)

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Clear indication that the oxygen levels are not getting too low then.   :happy1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Just read but don't know how to paste it.  From the DNR, panfish and bass first and then most other fish in the middle with bullheads the most tolerant. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Clear indication that the oxygen levels are not getting too low then.   :happy1:
the sunfish really took a hard hit. that spring when i went up  i had my underwater camera. i drilled 20 holes at least. the dead fish laying on the bottom was heart wrenching.........it was every species in the lake......including bullheads i seen laying on the bottom.    :doah: :confused: :angry2: :cry: :cry:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn, just curious— how big is the lake and how deep is it?

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Not sure on acreage  but 1.2 miles at its narrowest by 1.9 miles long.  It's got 55 ft deep hole, 20-30 in the main part. But alit of 12 ft and less and those are very weedy.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds similar in size to the lake I’m on, but we have two really shallow areas. There’s a 50’+ hole and a fair amount of depth in the 15-20’ range. Don’t think I’ve ever seen any real problems with winter kill. Hope you get by without a problem.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
fishwidow........i went to lake finder, this is what they have,,,,

162.29 acres
3.15 miles of shoreline
94 littorial acres.......which they define as water 15 ft deep or less.

i'd say there's probably 1/3 to 1/4th of the shoreline thats bog!!!!! its been a great lake for us throughout the years we've had the cabin even though its susceptible to winterkill but with all the shallow weedy areas its good fish habitat to be able to recover.

Offline fishwidow

• Master Outdoorsman
Hope it stays healthy for ya.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking at the forecast next week.  Mid 30's for highs, and mid 20's for lows. Friggin awesome.   :happy1:

And no mention of Gunner coming up to ruin it! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Scenic

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn  did you have a die off of panfish this spring?

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking at the forecast next week.  Mid 30's for highs, and mid 20's for lows. Friggin awesome.   :happy1:

And no mention of Gunner coming up to ruin it! :sleazy: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
  :tut: :mooning: Bet it'll be even warmer in Inger!!!!!1  :sleazy: :nerd: :evil:           ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Glenn  did you have a die off of panfish this spring?
i didnt notice.........and i was up there when the ice was starting to come off. i've talked t o some of the landowners also, they never mentioned anything.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We have a couple neighbors, they're both residents, that take samples of the lake water & send into a state certified lab every 2 weeks from mid May-mid October. They also take water clarity, secchi disk, readings every week that are then published in the bi-annual newsletter as well as being put on the lake association's website. I actually look at the water clarity info quite a bit as it can vary a lot. For instance, last season we went from 8.5' on 5/22 to 22' just 2 weeks later on 6/4 & then back to 11.5' by 6/22. We've been told (DNR) that the water level, the weather, & the zebra mussels all can have an affect how clear our water is.
« Last Edit: January 01/20/24, 06:35:23 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
at the last JLWA meeting the guy that usually dies that on Jessie wants to give it up, he's up there in age. this Paul the new prez said he'd do it, but if he follows thru like he did with the simple phone call he'd do to Wieztel, i wonder if it gets done. Weitzel never said one way or another is he did or didnt call.  :doofus:

lafefinder shows a cheechi dish reading for our lake but not sure how often they actually do it??????

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Weitzel told us that the GR DNR office has only about 1/2 the # of people now as it did when he started there. :sad: He blamed it on so many retiring & not being able to hire new people to replace them. Which he kind of hinted was due to a lack of funds because the DNR big wigs in St Paul & the state legislature keep cutting their budget. :mad1:

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Figures.  Management is usually the down fall of most businesses and organizations. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea doesnt surprise me in the least!!!!! :confused: :crazy:

pretty much my opinion when i was told to retire or.........

but man looking at the forecast next week gotz me all giddy!!!!!!!!  :happy1: :rotflmao: be like a heat wave up there!!!!!!!! :happybounce: :party1: :cheerleader: :dancinred:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: You better settle down & take it EZ so you don't :oops1: get hurt :drinking:;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: You better settle down & take it EZ so you don't :oops1: get hurt :drinking:;) :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao:to late........ :confused: already hurt my back......pushin the vacum cleaner around!!!!! :rotflmao:

i'll be better by then though!!!!! :sleazy: :mooning: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
A small wheelhouse with a SUV hooked up to it out front of Geiger's yday & again this morning when I looked.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The wheelhouse & the vehicle are gone this morning but it looks like they're back out there on their spot down by Northern Acres again today.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Made  it to the cabin about 10:30. Spear chuckin om cabin lake is a no go. Think water clarity got worse. Only way thinking a guys gonna get s ot rockets is with boober ups?, :happy1: did get 4 crappies.  But effin friggin wolves got a deer. :angry2: :angry2:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
No harpooning, eh? Sounds like an excuse to go to Inger... :scratch:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
I concur Dotch! The spearing should be easy der!! That stinks Glenn,  like I tell management sometimes old school is tough to beat..

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I concur Dotch! The spearing should be easy der!! That stinks Glenn,  like I tell management sometimes old school is tough to beat..
oh I got me a ideas for  da next trip?? Yep tipups and fun dogs  :happy1: :rotflmao:

I'd need boobers bankroll to bu minners! :sleazy: :rotflmao:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
:scratch: Kind of figured he had already made plans for for at least 1 rendezvous down at the village. :sleazy: :evil:      ;) :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 01/24/24, 06:30:39 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
There's 3 houses parked out front of Geiger's today.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
oh I got me a ideas for  da next trip?? Yep tipups and fun dogs  :happy1: :rotflmao:

I'd need boobers bankroll to bu minners! :sleazy: :rotflmao:
  :tut: Seams to me you just gots a .40 cent raise, minners should come easy  :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Setbup on Mercs side of 6. :sleazy: seen one let it go. Got 1.

At least I can see my drke down 6 ft. :happy1: