Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: deer river/talmoon area  (Read 645569 times)

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :tut: There was still ice between the Mosomo Pt PA & William's Narrows. Looks like there's still plenty on the west side of the Narrows too & with the cold weather coming this weekend it won't be this week, but it could be next. Besides, I didn't see 1 pelican & if the fish were moving through there'd be some around. Just looked about an hour ago & the channel down by us with the Portage bridge is still only ~75% open.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline merc

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Geigers posted this morning a couple guys went through the ice in front of their place. They had floatable suits and ice picks and got out on there own. They said only three to four inches of water soaked ice. Crazy to even be out there.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: There must be some decent ice somewhere though, merc. As the group that has been over to the resort, 6 pickups pulling 5 trailers in 3 cabins, is still over there. They were loading up yday morning ~ 8:30 when I went down to the mailbox, so I thought they might've been going home. But they must've been going somewhere to fish as they were gone during the day & they were back again by ~ 5 yday. When we got back from GR Wednesday around 1:30 it looked like they'd just got up & by 4:30-5 they were out on the west side of our bay. :confused:
« Last Edit: March 03/15/24, 02:31:23 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Geigers posted this morning a couple guys went through the ice in front of their place. They had floatable suits and ice picks and got out on there own. They said only three to four inches of water soaked ice. Crazy to even be out there.
scary........i know i wouldnt be going on ice anymore.....anywhere in the state.

tomorrow supposed to be a Gunner type day, WINDY!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :sleazy: :mooning: be interesting to see what that does to the ice!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
scary........i know i wouldnt be going on ice anymore.....anywhere in the state.

tomorrow supposed to be a Gunner type day, WINDY!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :sleazy: :mooning: be interesting to see what that does to the ice!!!!!!!
:scratch: You get started  :drinking: :tequila; :drinking: already, glenn?  :nerd:  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: nope but count on it tomorrow!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Took a ride over to Cutfoot yday am, no sign of the DNR. Never spotted any big white birds, so the :fish2: haven't started moving upriver yet either.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I helped the DNR for a few years long ago and 50 degrees seemed to be the target temp that attracted the fish. Walleyes that is.  Had lots of suckers too. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Took a ride over to Cutfoot yday am, no sign of the DNR. Never spotted any big white birds, so the :fish2: haven't started moving upriver yet either.
mayhaps when they do...the DNR can give ya a few so you have some!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :moon: :evil:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
I helped the DNR for a few years long ago and 50 degrees seemed to be the target temp that attracted the fish. Walleyes that is.  Had lots of suckers too. 
It seems like they're usually starting to set up over there within about a week of when the ice goes out. They don't always start stripping eggs right away though as I think they check temps & # of fish moving before they really set the nets & pens up. I think they usually get 700-800 quarts in about 4 days, if it doesn't turn cold on them. Ice out was so late here last year (5/7) that didn't even take any spawn over there last year.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Quite a difference in ice out from last year to this year.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
The lake association has been keeping track of it here since 1988 & the earliest ever recorded (2012) was 11 days from today or 3/27. It has been the 1st week of April 3 other times, in 2000, 2010, & 2021. It has been as late as the 1st (3) or 2nd week of May 8 times. :crazy:

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
mayhaps when they do...the DNR can give ya a few so you have some!!!!! :mooning: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :moon: :evil:
  :tut: Don't worry about me :rolleyes:, glenn, I got a few walleyes in the freezer. Quite a few crappies too & maybe even 1 of those slimers you like, so I'll be OK. :mooning:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
 :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

i just read  the last 2 reports Jeff Sundin wrote!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: he makes it sound like the DNR when it comes to mille lacs and red lakes has there head up there  :moon: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Kettle said alot of smaller to mid sized lakes has open water as of yesterday.

the ice out of geigers looks like it could go to. 3X as much open water on cutfoot from the last time i checked yesterday!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It needs to open up in front of the last place on our side of the road to all the way across the bay 1st here. Then the ice in the bay can start moving more & it usually doesn't take long. A good pc of the north end of Portage is open & there's just a little spot in the north corner of the channel down there with a little ice left this AM.
« Last Edit: March 03/17/24, 09:41:22 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
It was open all the way across the bay this morning early, so we took a drive over to Cutfoot. Had a little skim ice between the bridge & the PA over there, but that was it. No pelicans or DNR. Went up to our PA to see what the narrows looked like & found no open water there. There's more open on the north end of Portage though & still a little hanging in the corner of that channel.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Geigers has open water in front of there place.

narrrows cams show not a whole lot of ice left.

lakewoods by Gunner......hard to see but looks like ice there yet. but everything is a little behind with him!!! :sleazy: :evil: :rolleyes: :rotflmao:

big bog.........looks like ice but how long???????

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
  :pouty: :tut: Well, here's some more behind :mooning: :mooning: :mooning: for you!!! :nerd:  :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 03/18/24, 07:17:28 PM by Gunner55 »

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We were told yday that the ice was out on Bowstring on Sunday morning by somebody that lives right next to the CR 35 PA. :mooning: There you happy? :doah:      :rolleyes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:     
« Last Edit: March 03/19/24, 05:19:48 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Olie67

A guy fell through the ice on Thursday near the PA on 35, he climbed out ok, it might have been shallow enough to touch bottom. Others were fishing again on Friday, by Sunday noon we couldn't see any ice on the lake.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
A guy fell through the ice on Thursday near the PA on 35, he climbed out ok, it might have been shallow enough to touch bottom. Others were fishing again on Friday, by Sunday noon we couldn't see any ice on the lake.
::welcome:: ::welcome:: Olie67, we're not far from the stop sign when you head west of Bowstring on CR 35. Don't be shy! :cool:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
::welcome:: ::welcome:: Olie67, we're not far from the stop sign when you head west of Bowstring on CR 35. Don't be shy! :cool:
:happy1: :happy1: yea what Gunner said........ ::welcome:: ::welcome:: ::welcome::

cool another feller from up that neck of the woods!!!!!! :happy1: dont be shy bud!!!!!!! mayhaps you can tell fishing lies as good as Gunner!!!!! :rolleyes: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Olie67

Thank you!! We've had our cabin there for about 7 years, I think we are about 6 cabins NW of the access.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thank you!! We've had our cabin there for about 7 years, I think we are about 6 cabins NW of the access.
off cty is 35?

Offline Olie67

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
there is a guy on IDO that might be your neighbor!!!!!! :rotflmao: pretty sure he said he's just down the road that the public access is on.

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
or the same guy!!   :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

who knows??!!
« Last Edit: March 03/19/24, 07:26:43 PM by mike89 »
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!