Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What do you have planted already?  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just wondering what everyone has planted already? As for myself I have corn in and just added Clover seed to my clover plots. I sprayed all my plots and just waiting to head back to the land and spray again if needed. I'm turning my Brassica plots into clover. So I'm waiting to plant them in a Rye Grain mix and clover. I will be planting my last yrs rye into my brassicas this yr.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Leech lake guide, Walker, Mn.
My plots are really growing I mowed my back plot the clover was high and other plots have yellow flowers growing I think thats the rape seed. Anyone know if it is.
Bob Auel
Leech lake Guide with www.leisureoutdooradventures.com Guide Boat 2007 19' 3" warrior
218-836-2014

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
dont forget the pumkins!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :rocker;
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Planted a mixture of clover. Last years rye grain is about 3 or 4 feet high. Waiting tell it turns yellow then I will mow it and let it reseed. Waiting a while tell I plant some turnips and rape and chickory.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I just disc down 5 to 7 foot rye on the new plot. Will plant that to beets, turnips, and rutabegas early July. I have a 3 acre clover field that was just mowed last week and full of blooms already.

As for the yellow flowers, if you planted rape they do have yellow flowersb but it could also be wild radish/mustard. It seems a little early for rape to flower unless it held over from last year.

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yes I planted this last year late so i think its the rape do I need to cut it down before fall or leave for the deer to forage on?
Bob Auel
Leech lake Guide with www.leisureoutdooradventures.com Guide Boat 2007 19' 3" warrior
218-836-2014

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I would leave it for forage if you have other plots to offer a variety. What else is in with the rape?

Offline nontypicalhunter

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have a plot of Oregon Sweet peas mixed with Snow peas and another with a mixture of lettuce, turnip and rape. Third plot has clover and chickory mix.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Went up and planted some egyptian wheat for a screen from the neighbors yesterday. It's a little late but it still should do the trick. I would've put corn in there but I had the seed so I just put that down instead.
 This is hard for to not be planting already. I'm trying to keep from planting the plots but they weren't weed free last yr so I know the weeds will be popping up in July yet. I would normally have my turnips in but all of those plots are getting a rye and clover mix come August.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Cold wet spring and other issues kept me from any spring planting.  I guess I will have to rely on the clover I planted two years ago.  I may get some others stuff going in mid August. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I would leave it for forage if you have other plots to offer a variety. What else is in with the rape?

clover chickory and turnips looks good real thick lots of growth.
Bob Auel
218-836-2014

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Tilled up some rye grain plots and planted Grain sorgum and some of the tall sorgum for screening.  Rye grain was 4-5 feet tall and tilled up very nicely.  Free nitrogen!!!!

We walked the rye grain first and chased out a fawn that was hiding in there.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
picked up some sainfoin today.. just a pound of it.. always gotta try something new. anyone use that before?
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
picked up some sainfoin today.. just a pound of it.. always gotta try something new. anyone use that before?

I've never tried it but I'm tempted. I've just heard that you need a higher PH and our PH is low. I am very curious to see how this works for you. Are you planting it alone or in a mix? It sounds great and has a lot of benefits from what I've read about it. Please keep us informed on this.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
I got one little stand alone spot right on the edge of my property that borders the state land.. figure I would try it alone just incase it becomes  some invasive non productive weed. plus my turnips did really well last year so I didn't want to mess with a good thing
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
They say it's not invasive but I think you're doing the right thing by playing it safe. I'm excited that you're trying it. It's not that expensive either. What strand did you buy?