Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bear at the salt lick.  (Read 6870 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I originally started this salt lick in the hopes of finding a few new bucks but all that is now coming into the salt lick are bears.  It seems that I am getting about 6 differant ones.  Here is a pic of my daughter andmyself for size comperison.  My daughter is a little bit taller than 5 feet.  3 weeks until I can start baiting with good baits every day and get the bear on a schedule.  The duct tape was for taping the cam to the tree.  this is an old cam that I have had for 4-5 years and is almost shot.  Several bear and ant attacks.

little bear

big bear

cool pics

Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
you gonna have a great bear season

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I'd be a little scared to go in there with bait.  Must be a bear behind every tree.   :whistling:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
bait it at 11 and they should come in a few hours after if you get them into a pattern

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
Thats pretty cool with diff. bears on a salt lick!! What salt are you using block, mineral, or pour on ground?? I may add it to a couple bear baits this fall

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
2 parts ice cream salt
1 part trace minerals
1 part di-cal
bought at mills all in granular form

last year I put out a small block of salt/acorn and a bear came and took it the first night.
At the time I didn't think anything of it then but now I will be adding salt to the fish guts that we put out.

Anything that is free is worth saving up for.