Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: August 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Fishing Report  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
The walleye fishing along with smallmouth bass is still going strong. Salmon fishing mediocre to poor and Northern fishing is spotty also. I fished the Vince Cauley group, a bunch of nice guys from the Dallas TX and Illinois areas to possession limits of walleye and some smallmouth bass with the biggest walleye a 25 incher along with some 23 and 24 inchers. Also had a couple of nights of walleye appetizers in the evening at the lodge so they had a really nice trip with the weather being great ( one hot day but we were off the water by 2 o'clock ) and catching and releasing probably another 50 walleye. I have been fishing in around 20 fow to 30 fow and have been using crawler/ bouncer rigs but most methods (trolling, lindy rigs, leeches, chubs/minnows) are all working. I have been fishing both North of the Spring Creek area to the Cheyenne River and also South to the Dam. I have noticed with the high current releases this summer the areas that are closer to the were the main river channel hits close to the banks have more current and the fishing is better there. Remember to get some horse stable spray and keep it handy as there are days that seem to get these pests in the boat. Having a pair of long pants and white socks around isn't a bad idea if you are going out in shorts. I thought all along with the high water that July would be our best month both for fishing and for weather and it was. I think August will be great also and I hope the weather stay's reasonably cool as sometimes it can be hotter in August. Pack along plenty of water.

Hutch
Good fishing Hutch