Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Canning Corn!!  (Read 1081 times)

Offline pickelfarmer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I grow a pretty big garden and all that stuff has to go somewhere. I feel bad if I let any of it go so I try hard to can or freeze most of it. If I have any left over I bring it to the local food shelf or give it to those that I work with.
I figured I would post how I can my corn as it is kind of a pain but the reward is worth it.

First I cut the corn off the cobb.

Once I get enough to fill up enough jars for the canner I clean it.

Then I pack it into hot jars. Pints or quarts depending on how much you use per meal.In this case I'm using pints.

Then I fill the jars with boiling water leaving 1 inch head space. Head space is measured from the top of the jar down. I bought this niffty little set of tools to help in the canning proccess. You can pick a set like this up at any outlet store.

I put a plastic handle down in the mix to get out any air bubbles. For pints I add 1/4 tsp salt and for quarts 1/2 tsp salt per jar then cap them.

Put the lid on the hot water canner after its filled. I am only able to put 6 pints in my canner so it takes a while to see the jars stack up in the storage shelf. I put the lid on the canner and let steam spirt out the top for about 5 minutes before adding the weight. I proccess them at 10 pounds pressure for 50 minutes.

Once the jars have been proccessed I leave them sit over night then take off the rings on the jars. I test each jar to make sure it has a good seal. I leave the rings off the jars, clean the outside and store them for use.

After all the work it seems like a pian but come February its all good when you have corn off the cobb and on the dinner table!!

Where did I catch all these fish you ask??? right in the lip....

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
The wife and I just finished freezing our corn last weekend.  Thanks for the pictures  :happy1:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
granted its good but a ton of work for what its worth to me! nice pics pickelfarmer! we tried it but just froze it in ziplock bags!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!