Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: August 27th to September 1st Fishing Report  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
The Army Corp has now reduced flows and discharge rates for the Oahe Dam enough to allow fishing now from the dam down river now on Lake Sharpe. Two boat ramps are usable as of now that I know of. The one at Oahe Marina below the dam and Farm Island State Park ramp .There is a good bite from the dam all the way down river but if fishing there be real careful as it is a whole new fishery with sand bars ,shallow water and other dangers just about everywhere you go. Take some time to learn the way around. Lots of new spots to fish now and a lot of the old spots probably might not produce like before if either they got to shallow or to deep. I fished Todd Harder fom Omaha and his Dad for one day on the river(Sharpe) and one day on Oahe and we got limits both places catching 50 fish or more a day both places but getting more other fish (Northern, Smallmouth, White bass) on Oahe. Sharpe has a really nice size this fall with 17 inch fish common and quite a lot of nicer one's. The 18 to 19 inch walleye on Oahe getting harder to come by but big numbers of 14 to 15 inch fish easy. These fish are in around 20 to 30 fow on Oahe. Many big fish in the deep trees on Oahe but require hard work to get them out and losing tackle is common. Fish on Sharpe are shallow from 4 ft. to 10fow. I also fished Lonnie Wann and his Dow Chemical Group both on Oahe one day and then on Sharpe one day with similar great results, Just as good a group of guys and repeat customer's as I have and every one of them caught fish. Another example of a company taking good care of the people that help and support them. All of us guides (Tom Bruno, NE John. Scott Van Lyre, Brad Garrett & Larry Porter) and myself along with the Outpost Lodge are real grateful to have them come every year. Caught fish in both places on bttm/bouncer crawler rigs /spinner crawler rigs and pulling plugs so you can catch them different ways on Oahe and Sharpe. Fishing has held up all of August and so has the weather and I see no reason to expect September to be any different. Ran across something none of us had seen before in one area on Oahe. All of the guide boats had a lot of yellow jackets invade our boats and had some stings reported in several boats so watch out for these aggressive wasps and move if necessary. No Salmon report.

Hutch
Good fishing Hutch