Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Labor Day Weekend Oahe/Sharpe Report  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
Well Labor Day weekend arrived along with as many boats and people as I can remember seeing in the Pierre area and boy did everybody get a nice weekend both weather-wise and fishing-wise .Both Oahe and Sharpe are producing limits of walleye for just about everybody that has any knowledge of the river/lake systems around Pierre. If fishing on Sharpe around Pierre get ready to see a lot of other boats as traffic on the river is busy to say the least but fishing is very good. Oahe is also great and since the bite is excellent you can escape the crowds easier on the big lake if that is important to you. I guided the Dave Kroger group from around Omaha to Limits of walleye on Sharpe. I then fished Spring Creek Marina owners Doctor Doug Long his wife Ann, Todd Pelpz and his wife Amy also from the Omaha area, and pilot Steve along with guide Larry Porter to an 18 inch average size possession limit of walleyes catching probably at least 50 walleye per boat a day and keeping only fish over 17 inches releasing the rest. Caught most of these fish on either plugs or spinners in shallow water fishing current breaks on Sharpe Crawlers/spinners seemed to produce more numbers but both are very good. We fished 10 miles or so south down river from Pierre avoiding most of the bigger crowds and seeing maybe only 3 or 4 other boats all day. Larry Porter and I both just love to guide these two couples and a real bonus for us was watching Doctor Long and wife Ann's twin sons Jake and Spencer suit up and play ball for Nebraska Saturday (beating Tenn-Chattanooga) with Spencer starting as a sophomore on the O line. Larry and I are both big Nebraska Football fans so watching the game after just guiding the parents of these two boys just capped off a great fishing guide trip for both of us. Salmon bite still way below average on Oahe. Most numbers of walleye being caught in around 17 to 30 fow on Oahe with a lot of the bigger fish either suspending in open water or hanging around the trees on the big flats( Peoria-Sully etc.) making catching them harder but catching big numbers of 14 to 16 inch fish easy from Dam up to 212 bridge with plenty of over 20 inchers being reported.

Hutch
Good fishing Hutch

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Thanks for the report Hutch!   :fishing2:
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN