Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Updated fur prices  (Read 4685 times)

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
These are quotes from a local buyer I talked to today for streached and dried #1 goods.

Coon -  $22
Beaver - $30
Mink - $24
Rats - $7
Fox - $25
Coyote - $28
Otter - $50
Cat - Ur average MN cat will go under $100 but a wide well spotted belly could fetch $150

I don't expect too much  movement until the january sales are over.

Again if the import ban in china is lifted the otter prices would prolly double in a matter of hrs.

Rats have went down a buck but I think that is mostly due to a large harvest of them and buyers are leary the market will go down.

So most everything is worth going after and the fur is good an prime right now.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
holy smokes Griz why so cheap on the otters ?
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
The chinese gov has a ban on importing them into the country. It doesn't matter if they are raw, tanned or anything else. No importing them into china period. Considering for the last ten yrs. they have been buying 100% of the otter put up for auction in north america, it's understandable. I actually think they are as high as they are, cause the buyers are hoping the import ban will be lifted. If it is the price would double b4 the day is over.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
What the heck do they do with rat hides?

Offline mopho

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
muskrats.. not  rat rats

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
wow the yote and fox are pretty low arent they ?

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Coon -  $22          5 - 15
Beaver - $30         5 - 22
Mink - $24             8- 12
Rats - $7               1.50 - 2.25
Fox - $25              12
Coyote - $28          22
Otter - $50             5- 40

Those are the update prices you could expetct to get.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Coon -  $22          5 - 15
Beaver - $30         5 - 22
Mink - $24             8- 12
Rats - $7               1.50 - 2.25
Fox - $25              12
Coyote - $28          22
Otter - $50             5- 40

Those are the update prices you could expetct to get.

Yea SS I didn't know anyone was going to pull up an old post of prices. Check the date on my post, it was Dec of 06. Prices have went down on most things cept for coon. Thats what I'm wondering about. Did something happen within the last week to cause the coon to fall so much, that I'm unaware of. Reason I ask is last week I got 15 bucks for a cut up road kill on the carcass.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz there is talk that china will not be buying much American fur in times to come.. If this happens we will se a big time drop in are prices.
The US use to contribute 30% of the fur sold in the world now that is down to around 10% and falling. China in the mid 90s had no mink or not much of any fur. Now they are the lead produces. When i was a kid and went to the fur sales with my dad there was tons of Chinese buyers there. I talked with one of the fur reps from Seattle and he was saying that there are hardly any Chinese buyers at the sales anymore. Granted that is for ranch fur but wild fur will follow. it will be interesting to see what happens in the next 5 years. There are fur farmers pelting out by the hand fulls every year.

just my findings...   :moon: :moon:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't know much about the chinese producing furs. They were the major buyers of otter and with all the political bs the auction houses have decided to develop new markets for this item. It is expected to be about a 2 yr project.

I hear that other countrys have been raising more fur. I am not certain how that will affect the markets. There are many things to consider.
1. Other countries may have higher or lower costs of feed, equipment.
2. Countries involved in raising of fur would have to be in more northern climates or (at least)of higher altitudes.
3. Not all animals are efficiently raised

There are alot more things that play into it also and I could have made a list from A through G below each of these getting into more detail.

The fur market is based on trends. Anyone remember when Guess jeans was the trend? I haven't heard of them in 20 yrs. These trends usually go from one fur to the next but then every so often the world just goes fur crazy. The people affected the most by this is the fur rancher. They have a litter of mink in the spring and come fall they have grown mink. They might wished they had fox instead if the price is higher. Trappers have the option as to what they are going to harvest.

Coon is one fur that is not on any other continant other than ours. With prices the way they are and the way they can eat it wouldn't make sense to raise them for fur. Not to mention they don't get to be of the most valuable size(like beaver) until about the second yr. They also have been know to go through some major low spells that would knock out any of the ranchers. Just useing them as an example.

Sounds like I'll have to do another one of my price predictions in the future. I'll wait and see what the next couple auctions do before doing that. Off the top of my head I'll say Beaver,Coon,Rats and Fisher will be good, with rats being a potential sleeper.
« Last Edit: February 02/08/08, 09:29:47 AM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz, it dose not matter where the animal is razed now. They have a Implant that you inject in there neck right by there shoulders. It releases something called melatonin witch make the animal prime up. you can make a mink prime up in July it will look like its been in Alaska in the -50 below.. China also has coon farms there to now. There is a Fur rancher in WIS that has been sell all these animals to china breed... so intern he is cutting everyone’s neck.

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
Griz, it dose not matter where the animal is razed now. They have a Implant that you inject in there neck right by there shoulders. It releases something called melatonin witch make the animal prime up. you can make a mink prime up in July it will look like its been in Alaska in the -50 below.. China also has coon farms there to now. There is a Fur rancher in WIS that has been sell all these animals to china breed... so intern he is cutting everyone’s neck.

always someone to cut ya out , i thought it was illegal to raise wild game ?

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Repoman you can raise anything with the right permit.. When i was growing up we always had fox and coon. along with 40,000 mink lol peace  :moon:

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
Repoman you can raise anything with the right permit.. When i was growing up we always had fox and coon. along with 40,000 mink lol peace  :moon:

ahhh you call it permit i call him kermit  :kermit: sucka

Forum maintenance

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Well I still figure it like this. In american $$ it costs about 30 bucks a piece to raise a fox pup to pelting age at a litter ave of 3.4 pups per litter.

Now coon tend to eat more than fox do so may cost a bit more each. At the latest auction the top lot of coon for round here was 36 bucks. Knowing that not all furs (a minute few)get into the top lot. I'd say that at best it's a break even deal. Labor hasn't even been added into the cost of a pelt yet.

Yes a guy can save bucks here or their and an overseas country may be able to feed them real cheap. When the market goes way down again say to $7 bucks a pelt I don't know of any place that could do it an make a profit. So yes they can raise them but I don't see anyone in it for the long haul or even long enough to affect the markets. As far as raising in hot climates with a fully furred pelt I can see alot of mortality going on. I might be wrong I just don't see it happening.

The bottom line is I'll worry about them raising prime coon in Mexico about as long as it takes the water to replace my finger as I pull it out of the glass.
~Thomas Jefferson