Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Famous bear shot and killed by hunter  (Read 9678 times)

Offline NDGUY

• Outdoorsman
Thanks man!! Wondering if their is any way us as hunters in MN could rally a petition together and tell the DNR that we don't like our bears being tamed or given names, or to stop the so called research altogether,,,, Have we not learned its not working very well the way it is. Don't get me wrong the research is a great thing and we have learned alot, but needs to have some rules set in place and thier is no win or lose for either parties, just make thing clearer the law might have to be changed on collared bears, or none at all....

Offline T.R. Michels

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Trinity Mountain Outdoors
JUst because the younger generation has stron feelisng about somehtingf- it doe not mean the are right, or that they will not cahnge their minds as they gro up. Many youngsters think it is okay to drink and drugs, or drive whieldrinking. I'm certainly not going to side with them because they think it is okay.

A few questions.

How does protecting 8-20 bears in one area of the state negatively affect you?

Do you think it is fair or right to protect an animal strictly because of the color of its hair (which has no economic, research or educational value), and not protect bears used for research purposes? 

Do you think that hunters should have a good image among the non-hunting public?

Do you think that hunters have a good image among the majority of the non-hunting and anti-hunting public (whose votes count just as much as hunters votes)? From the responses I get on Facebook, and on my StarTribune Blog, it appears that most non-huntes have a very negative view of hunters.

Do you think that the non-hunting pulic wants to take away some hunting rights?

Do you think that hunter's killing research bears will help the public's view of hunters and hunting as whole?

If not, do you think we need to dosomehtingto change tht view.

If you think it is okay (to kill these specific reseach bears), do you think it will help in maitaining hunter's rights in the future?

Why is naming a bear, that some people hope would not get killed, considered wrong, when naming a buck, that a hunter wants to kill, is not considred not wrong? 

Do you think that wildlife education, that leads some people to acceptance of wildlife conservation and habitat conservation, in which wildlfe management uses hunting to keep game animals within the carrying capactiy and social acceptance capacity of the habitat - is a bad thing?

T.R. Michels
TRMichels@yahoo.com

Trinity Mountain Outdoors Hunting E-Magazine
Guide Service, & Hunting University / Guide School

Natural History E-Magazine & Tours

Outdoor Photography

www.TRMichels.com

Commit a ranodm act of kindness everyday, and give the credit to Yahweh-God

Offline T.R. Michels

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Trinity Mountain Outdoors
I don't believe our focus as outdoorsmen is to create and make peace with people who don't hunt, fish, or trap.   If people just don't do it or are against it, that is their right.   We have many other more important issues than trying to change their minds, it's not going to happen any how.   Their will always be people for and against everything.

Her is where I think snme of you are not thinking objectively. At some point in the near future, non-hunters are going to try to (or will) take away our hunting rights on something (we can't hunt wolves, we had a hard time getting the right to hunt doves). And then they wil chip away at all of our rights - why? becaue they believe hunting is wrong and they sorely outnumber us. 

They have the numbers to make it illegal to hunt in Minnesota. I do not want that to happen.
So before it does happen, I would like to try to get more non-hunters on our side.

The death of Hope did not help the cause to keep hunting as a legitimate sport... I want my grandson to have the right to hunt and fish. I'd like to get ahead ot those who mght want to take away his rights - by educating them - and HJOpw gave me agreatopportunity to do taht - I've has people tellme they changed theri minds about hujnting - because of whtI  havewritten.

But, the death of Hope measn I'm back to square one, or back farther than that.

And do I see you guys trying to help me protect "your" hunting rights-heck no.... 
T.R. Michels
TRMichels@yahoo.com

Trinity Mountain Outdoors Hunting E-Magazine
Guide Service, & Hunting University / Guide School

Natural History E-Magazine & Tours

Outdoor Photography

www.TRMichels.com

Commit a ranodm act of kindness everyday, and give the credit to Yahweh-God

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
recent quote from Dr rogers website.

"We want to resolve confusion about petitions and letters to the commissioner, legislators, and the governor.  This is not the time.  We know emotions are running high and many feel a campaign to protect radio-collared bears in Hope’s name would have a host of participants.  But a campaign now would be no more successful than the huge effort we all made before.  The DNR completely blew us off.  The governor never responded to your letters and 28,000 signatures.  When we turned to the legislature at the advice of the commissioner, the legislators listened to the commissioner rather than us."

FYI.. 28,000 is not even 1% of minnesotas population.

we're not sorely outnumbered. why the scare tactic? or do you just not understand? (a simple search would have provided you this data). hunting illegal? not likely

8% of the population hunts
12% are against hunting
80% do not support or oppose hunting.

so forward on your comments and whatever signatures you can muster. sounds like dr rogers asked people to back off. I can't imagine why you wouldn't listen to him since it is his research?

your comments do not seem to inspire productive communication on the topic, they come across as presumptuous, insulting and very judgmental while contributing nothing new on the topic but appears to just stir the pot.

also I don't know what type of "youngsters" you hang around but I don't see them condoning drugs or drunk driving.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I think it is time to put this topic to bed for a while.  

We have let this go for more than a week and it is time to move on.  I feel everyone has had plenty of opportunity to voice their opinion on this topic.  I thank everyone for sharing their thoughts and opinions and for the most part keeping things civil.  

It is time to agree that we disagree and move on.  

I am locking this thread.  Feel free to pm me with any questions.
« Last Edit: October 10/14/11, 03:15:37 PM by Outdoors Junkie »
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN