Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: They win...  (Read 4374 times)

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
Made only 8 new coon sets to run during the week.   Today was my first check on them only to find 2 more sets stolen.   I've already called TIP and talked to the CO a couple times now.   I can't put up any cams because those would be gone also.   Whoever is taking my sets is really spending some time lookin'.   If they find my little hidden trap under a road they most certainly would find a cam in a near by tree.   I CAN'T lose any of those!   

I look up to my uncle who, in his younger years, has done a ton of trapping.   Now he just plays with it on our family farm.   I wanted to experiece perhaps just a taste of what he did in his up bringing.   I want to explore my roots and to have been able to share some history.   I don't run a huge line, so money isn't my motive.   I do it because I enjoy it and to keep my heritage alive.   It hurts like hell when that is taken from you by a fellow outdoorsman, or so this person thinks they are.   Make me wonder what is in store for us.

Minnesota has lost another customer.
Shoot straight and give'em the shaft!

Offline bonecollecter82

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Do you know any other area trappers around you should see if they are having any issues like you are
What makes a BoneCollector?
They are the hunters that have the passion to go to the ends of the earth, in pursuit of the basic hunter instincy that was instilled in us at birth and is so often taken away in society.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Is there possibly any one in the area that might have seen something?  This is terrible.  I feel for you man.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
Yep, it sure sucks.   I've talked to two different trappers I've ran across.   One said he didn't have an issue and one said he has had some stolen as well.   The one guy was pretty new to it and only put out a few and the other guy was as hardcore as it gets.   He pretty much did it full time and ran over a 100 on his line.   He said he's had serveral stolen, but he traps the entire state and jumps from one area to another.   Anyhow, who the hell's word could you trust?   No ones in my opinion.   I've got a hunch it's another trapper based on the tools he carries and his knowledge of where to look.   Seriously guys, I love our outdoor sports more than the english language allows me to explain.   It breaks my heart to have people disrespect our rights man.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Dont let em win....you need to get back on the idea of trapping a smarter predator... the trap thief.  Yes the loss of a trail cam would hurt even more, but I would figure how to set a trap with the camera at a set to see who comes and takes it.  Figure out how to hide the camera so they cant find it, make sure its one with infared flash so they cant see it.  Then call the Sheriff and have them arrested!

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
Hang it high in a tree so he would need a ladder to get it. It's the one place he's not looking for a trap

Make the trap odvious put a ribbon right above it or a reflective thing who knows you may have come across him and leed the co to him
« Last Edit: November 11/14/11, 11:13:16 PM by lentz »

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman
 training-087 I feel for you. I'm just getting started again and only have 6 of them (dp's). I know how expensive they are. I am just north of you, Castle Rock and Farmington I haven't even seen another set made. Hope you find a way to catch him.

Offline NephronRacing

• Outdoorsman
I have to agree with Corny.  Full camo and a video camera while these nights/mornings are on the warm side.  Don't come out once you catch him on tape unless you have to.  Get a plate number and take it to the CO.

He might not notice a camera if he's coming early morning or at night.  It would be expensive but maybe look at one of the cameras that uses a mobile network to send pictures immediately.  If he does still it, you'll have some pics.

I want to correct one thing in your first post "fellow outdoorsman".  This POS is not a fellow outdoorsman.

Offline Swany

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
How about a Plot Watcher camera that you can set back further from your set, that they would never notice? Maybe this could get a vehicle make and model at the very least.
~Swany

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Have had many stole this yr as well. Have had more critters than traps stole though. This yr seems worse for theft than most other yrs. Don't really know why but it is. Most of the trap theft at least on my line isn't done by other trappers but the fur theft and leaveing the trap is.

If it makes you feel any better a friend once had 84 traps in a row stole that was over 75 miles.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
Sorry to hear about your theft situation Griz.   It sucks man.   My guy is patroling my area so I have to pull out of it.   Can't afford this to happen all season.   Sucks, this area is close to me and it produces.   If I'm going to continue to run a line it's going to have to be strickly private from here on out.   Over 80 traps is just plain, well, I'd rather not say.   That's a lot of time and a ton of cash.   Unreal.   I feel for your friend.   Thanks for the share Griz.

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
Have had many stole this yr as well. Have had more critters than traps stole though. This yr seems worse for theft than most other yrs. Don't really know why but it is. Most of the trap theft at least on my line isn't done by other trappers but the fur theft and leaveing the trap is.

If it makes you feel any better a friend once had 84 traps in a row stole that was over 75 miles.

i bet someone followed him

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
doubt they followed him just where he'd been. Wouldn't be hard. It was someone who knew what he was doing and just followed his trail.

It was in an area where I had some theft this yr also. It usually is a higher than usual theft rate in that area.
« Last Edit: November 11/28/11, 02:30:28 AM by GRIZ »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson