Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Dog Proof  (Read 2519 times)

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman
I don't use dog proof traps that often but with the labs running around and coon tracks under this bridge I figured I better. I put the marshmellow in under the trigger and filled with sardines to the top. Then sprayed some lure on and around the trap. Next used a styrofoam cup for an attractant.
Come to find the next day all the bait was eaten/taken out of it. And it wasn't triggered. No extra coon tracks around it. And everything looked the same as when I left it. What could this be? How could a animal get that marshmallow out without triggering the trap. It is a duke, dp! Has anyone had this happen?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
My guess would be mice. Mice and other rodants such as muskrat will eat meat also. The duke dp has a bit of a harder trigger pull than some of the others but that can be adjusted by raising the dog some, not too much though. Also rather than putting a marshmello under the trigger put it on the trigger.

That is my system for dp's a marshmellow on the trigger and a squirt of my homemade liquid wild cherry bait in the bottom. If it gets a bit colder I will use some kaatz black label for more scent. I have heard of the styrofoam cup thing and it's best advantage I can see is in rainy conditions it will keep out the rain thus prevent freezing of the trap. I just use another marshmello stuck in the top of the trap but if it rains it gets washed down on top of the trigger.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
Your problem is most definitely mice and shrews.   I have caught several in DP's.   Some manage to get the bait out without firing the trap and some don't.   

When you use DP's, make sure you fill the tube full of bait, especailly later in the season.   Yes, they do need sent, but they also need the food mass also.   It helps with the whole trigger thing.   If you fill the tube you don't have to worry if your bait is on or under the trigger.   When the have eaten down to the trigger and stick thier pad in for another mouthful they will fire the trap.   Sometimes, they smell it and approach.   If they don't see much in the tube and don't get a free sample, often after investigating they keep on thier way.

The white styrofoam cup serves two main pruposes.   One, to hide your trap from someone seeing an actual trap.   It makes it look like a piece of trash if someone may happen to see it, instead of seeing a trap.   And two, the biggest reason, it adds mega eye appeal.   When a coon see's that glowing white object they can't help to go investigate.   Eye appeal is HUGE when it comes to getting the best of a critters curiousity.

Happy trappin'!
Shoot straight and give'em the shaft!

Offline 0ly1

• Outdoorsman
Thanks you guys. I was wondering if I did something wrong or if someone stole my coon and reset it. It only makes sense it was mice or shrews. everything looked in place.

Offline bonecollecter82

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You using big marshmellows or small? I use small marshmellow usually putting 8 or so in it with some sort of scent and a few around the outside of of the trap.
What makes a BoneCollector?
They are the hunters that have the passion to go to the ends of the earth, in pursuit of the basic hunter instincy that was instilled in us at birth and is so often taken away in society.