Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: first ice reports  (Read 3732 times)

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
first reports are coming in on winnie now with atv's seen out approximately four miles near the area known as the big island and there abouts. haven't heard about catch results but it is always good out there this time of year. two days ago, Rick from hignbanks was out and found good ice out a bout a quarter mile. is did see a crack and went no further, not needing to. the ice is likely good to go for the cautious ice angler but be careful these cracks do open up out there. any strong wind in the forecast and I'd stick to a smaller lake.
third river has been going with spear houses since spearing opener. I'm thinking that was a bit sketchy, at first but in great shape now.
last season third river was putting out crappies and they are nice so if you need to scratch your big crappie itch, give it a go!
travel with a partner and tell someone where your going and when you'll be back.
be safe and have fun!
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
thanks jigglestick. good to hear the ice report on winnie. need to make a bunch more, sure would be nice to drive out new years weekend!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
the landing at the resort is cleared and as soon as we get back from christmas we will start marking roads and moving houses onto the ice. as of five days ago, there was 9 1/2 inches - 12 inches of ice, but it has been in the low teens to single digits at night, with no snow cover.
I believe I will be able to pull houses out before the following weekend.
we will start with the lighter houses, the day house and the white house then maybe the griz house (new addition to the fleet) then the Dave Cave <--- that's my house, followed by the big house once we get 16 inches and then the Stanley Manor, (also a new addition).
 people are calling and a lot of them want to get out right now, but it won't be with me. I've worked on the ice long enough to now you don't mess with mother nature. respect the ice. it can swallow you whole.

for now I will pass the dull moments with events like going back to the dentist and getting a dry socket packed, cleaning the house, cleaning the garage, driving to the cities and back. when Monday hits, it will be nuts. a lot of stuff to work on kinda all at once. I do some of my best work when I'm running behind.

there have been portables with atvs out for well over a week now and mixed reports coming in. some great some slower than normal, I won't be able to get out until after Monday.

Have a Great Christmas. Enjoy time with friends and family. I will be leaving reports as the season progresses.
Merry Christmas every body! :snow4:

THWACK KILLS!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks for the update jigglestick. gary was on the south end last weekend and said there was a good 11 inches of ice. but also had to deal with a BIG crack!

you also have a good christmas and hopefully see ya new years weekend!!!
till then, get that honey do list done!!!! :bonk: :whistling: :whistling: :coffee: :coffee: :toast:

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
took a ride out there this afternoon after this mornings welcomed snowfall, to check ice thickness and check for cracks.
I checked every 1/4 mile for two miles out. I drilled in different kinds of ice.there were areas of piled 1 inch ice and some areas where the ice was thicker when it was broken up, like 3-4 inches thick, kinda rising up and out of the lake just high to stick up 3-4 inches. I measured no less than 12 inches and somewhere out one mile I measured 17 inches but I believe that was some sort of fluke, maybe where the ice had broken and piled up on top of itself. the next measurement was 12, then a 13 and then a couple more 12's.
I think it's safe to say its fairly consistant with 12 inches but I would have to bet we could find a little less if we looked around enough.
it's not thick enough for me and my diesel with a wheel house yet. I will pull a couple houses out next week after christmas for day house use. I will be using the atv with chains.
there is a little snow out there now so we shouldn't have to work to hard to find snow to bank with.
I'm hoping by next week we will find a way to make another inch. the forecast is calling for slightly above average temps. maybe even reaching 40 on Monday.
I know better than to push it just to make a couple extra dollars.
the resort will be officially open for buisness on the 30th, for new years weekend.
I will be on the ice every day come Monday, so if you have any questions, feel free to call. I will give you my opinion as to the conditions that day.
personaly I like to see 14 - 16 inches. I know the 12 will hold me, but I also believe that there will be some thinner areas and I'm not going to risk my neck or yours.
didn't get a chance to talk to any fishermen so lets just pretend that they're hammering the eyes on the humps just like they always do through early ice out on the humps :-)
Be safe and have a Merry Christmas!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Leech lake guide, Walker, Mn.
Thanks Dave
Merry Christmas to you also
Bob Auel
Leech lake Guide with www.leisureoutdooradventures.com Guide Boat 2007 19' 3" warrior
218-836-2014

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks for the update and really looking forward to more as the new years weekend approaches. and i may take ya up on that phone call!!!!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
just wanna let everyone who checks in here to know that jigglestick along with highbanks do a first rate top notch job taking care of the guests.

and if anyone ever plans a trip to winnie these are the people to see!!!!!!!!!!!!