Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: DNR to monitor wolf hunt.  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :police: Minnesota DNR to closely monitor, restrict first wolf hunt.

Minnesotans will be able to hunt and trap wolves legally for the first time in 38 years this fall.

:coffee: So what's the plan :scratch:.........
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/230668/group/Outdoors/
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Good to see that they are getting a season but don't agree with it being run concurrent with the deer season with our party hunting laws we have. I can already see lots of cheating going on. If one member of a party of ten has a permit you can bet your savings there will be ten wolf hunters out there.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
That's not a hunting season, if any wolves are taken it will be someone with a gun at the right place at the right time. If you are the wolf it means they will be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
If one member of a party of ten has a permit you can bet your savings there will be ten wolf hunters out there.

And this is a bad thing?

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
They should pay the hunter a bounty instead of charging a license fee
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
The whole reason they are running it with the deer season is $$$. Realistic how many would get a lic if they weren't deer hunting anyway? They will sell more lic to deer hunters who hope to have one stumble by than anything.

This will not go well with many people but wolves have thier niche. Some say there are too many too many which I tend to agree. My gripe is they are setting the season the way it is for the $$ and to appease(sp) most outdoors people instead of on managment basis.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
You got that right Griz. Trappers will take almost all the wolves harvested this year. The guys that that buy a wolf license during the deer season are for the most part just donating funds to whatever they decide to allocate it to. My guess is the money will go to some sort of save the wolf program.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Ken after reading your response it made it more clear. I can't say I agree with the thought of trappers taking most of them because come deer hunting a wolf seen will be a wolf shot at if not killed. It will make no difference if the shooter has a lic,permit or not they will try find someone who does have one.

It is my thoughts that it should be treated as a furbearer for trapping much like the fisher,marten and so on but that would not go well with many deer hunter. The reason I think this is based on management and not on peoples emotions or thier want to claim a wolf.

I know a guy that caught and released 9 wolves last yr trapping fox and yotem, now he could only claim one the way things are set up this yr an rest would be released. I guess my ? is are most in favor of wolf harvest  wanting to get one or management?
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
You got that right Griz. Trappers will take almost all the wolves harvested this year. The guys that that buy a wolf license during the deer season are for the most part just donating funds to whatever they decide to allocate it to. My guess is the money will go to some sort of save the wolf program.

I don't know that trappers will take most of them. What will happen is for every deer hunter that has a wolf tag there will be ten deer hunters shooting wolves. If thery can't tag them all they will lay there an rot. The way this wolf hunt is set up is purely on $$$ an public wants, just my opinion. I think it's a bigger boo boo than the all season deer lic they let out an a few yrs later realized that it didn't work an actually back fired with herd devistation in some areas like mine.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
If one member of a party of ten has a permit you can bet your savings there will be ten wolf hunters out there.

And this is a bad thing?

The population in some areas needs to be reduced. There have been many hunters with the same thought who practice shoot, shovel and shut up. Many who do not but it's just my opinion that this season could be a big mistake the way it is set up. If it works out they may adjust things as they learn. If not and too many are killed we won't have a season in a few yrs which is how long it will take them to figure out there mistake.
~Thomas Jefferson