Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Finally got to work on the plots  (Read 4072 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I know I'm really late (seems to be be norm for me and food plots) but we finally go out yesterday.   I sprayed Round-up on 6 plots.  These were mostly clover but none had been planted in the past 3-4 years.  Three plots are in the woods and the others are along field edges.  I plan to go back and spray again in a couple weeks and then plant soon after that.  I have some clover seed and a mixtured of peas and sorgam.  I should get some brasicas too.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I,m going to try groundhog radishes to help amend the soil as well as feed the deer.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Cody Gruchow

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2016 Mno rockbass challenge champion
im dragging  :censored: worse then that deadeye, i havent even started on mine, ive been way to busy. im planning on expanding mine and removing some deadfall and dead standing timber. maybe this friday i can finally get started. then i got to till and spray, then plant. then change the batterys in the camera. ive kind of neglected this stuff so far this summer :banghead: :banghead:

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I know how that goes.   :rotflmao:

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Heading north after work tommorrow.  Plan on spraying the big food plots, mowing the trails, spray around the trees we planted the last 2 years, weed whipping, switch out batteries and sd cards, replenish mineral sites and try and catch a few big fish to kick wildlifes A!@ in the fishing contest.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
That's a pretty full schedule.  How do you plan to fit fishing in there.  Maybe because there's 16 hours of daylight? :Clap:

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sprayed the plots, Sprayed around all but 300 trees.  I ranout of roundup.  Mowed the trails, weed whipped. took care of the trail cams,  Put out 2 more cams, and fished.  Kid#1 had on a very large pike but it spit the hook.  Very busy weekend.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
it's a constant battle this time of year with the land.. specially with the amount of rain we're getting.. everything we mowed last time was knee high again. always something to work on. .think we're going to sell one of the walk behind mowers and get a tow behind the wheeler type now. all the main trails are cut and food plots opened up so it should be something a towed mower can handle.   we planted some fruit trees that we picked up on sale they were about 6 feet tall.. caged em off right away to keep em from getting eatin. spraying is on the list for this weekend.. got 2 big jugs of the purple topped roundup we'll be spreading around. hoping to seed earlier this year and resead again late august. something different. 

on a different note someone left the crapper door open and some birds built a nest ontop of the "secret" key we hide in there.. guess we'll have to depend on the other "secret" key we have.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I hear you beeker.  It can be really hard to accomplish much this time of year.  Mowing seems to be a lost cause due to rapid growth.  We usually mow the trails around the end of August.  That way nothing grows back and they are clear for the rest of the year.  We use a rough cut pull behind Swisher to mow the trails.  It doesn't matter how much brush or vegitation has grown in, it just goes through it.  The biggest deterents at this time of year are usually heat and bugs.   

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
rough cut swisher is on my wish list.

the dang bugs were thick this time of year. however we met our new neighbor at the old farm across the road from us.. he's opening a dairy farm so it may be nice to have some "pressure" of source in those fields to help move the deer around.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
so, do your wives give ya crap about all this plantin and mowing for the deer and other wildlife, while she's mowing the yard and pullin weeds from the flower bed and garden?????????? :coffee: :whistling: :whistling: :scratch: :scratch: just wonderin!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I guess if you make yourself a nucience around the house their glad to see you leave.  :rotflmao:

Here is a shot of the mower behind an ATV

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
the wife likes it when I go since the kids want to come with me.. she gets the house to herself.