Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: dangers of small traps  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
« Last Edit: October 10/27/12, 03:40:12 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline houdini123

• Outdoorsman
This was actually a really interesting article especially since i started trapping and said at work that i use conibears and the only thing they could say is that they are dog killers.

Offline mnhunter1

• Minnow
I agree that more people need to be aware of whats going on, but just like in hunting there are irespnsible people out there that need  to use better judgment with trap placement. i personally have trapped for 15 plus years and have only caught one dog and that was in a fox set.and was released un harmed. we used to run dozens of 220 conibear traps set in trails and never caught a dog. if a spot looked questionably we didnt set it. theres going to be bad apples in anything you do that are going to ruin it for the people that do it legally and responsibly

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I remember when I was a kid Peta would run adds badmouthing the trapping industry for using leg hold traps and how they were inhumane because the animals suffered.  Now the mainstream media is looking for the first dead dog story and publicize the heck out of it.  Peta spends nothing.  Yes dogs are getting killed but we need to work together as an outdoorsman group.  If we don't Peta will help eliminate trappers and all the good that they do. if the trappers are eliminated we will have to worry about our pets getting rabies or killed from excessive coyotes,coons, and possums.

After the trappers are gone what will the next target be, the archery hunter that gut shot a doe that dies in sumbodies back yard, or the fisherman that released a fish that died and washed up on a millionairs beach.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
If the dog was off it's leash the owners are at fault and bear all responsibility. Even if it was leashed they are still solely responsible. I see these incidents as trap tampering.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects