Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Guide vs. DIY for Black Bear  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Goosepond Monster

• Outdoorsman
  • Easy Livin'
    • Hoosier Hunters
I'm hoping to get up to Minnesota next year for a bear hunt with my bow.  I know of a guide in area 26, but I have been thinking about looking into a DIY hunt.  I thought I'd ask the locals what you guys thought. 

Offline Bear Creek Bucks

• Outdoorsman
I'm assuming you're planning on baiting...
The only problem with being out of the area is you'll have a more difficult time monitoring your baits. We usually start a half dozen and check them after a week. If they've been hit we rebait every few days and then hunt, we use cameras too to target the larger bear and see what time they're coming in. It's not a real hard hunt so if you can make it up a few times before you plan on hunting I'd definitely DIY, or if you have somebody that can bait for you that'd work.
...I am not the man I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not the man I was. John Newton

Offline Goosepond Monster

• Outdoorsman
  • Easy Livin'
    • Hoosier Hunters
Sounds like a guide is the way to go.  I wouldn't be able to make it up there before I plan on hunting.  Thanks for the response.

Offline Bear Creek Bucks

• Outdoorsman
None of the work and all of the fun, Bear guides are usually very reasonable too, sounds like a win-win. Good luck!
...I am not the man I hope to be, but by the grace of God, I am not the man I was. John Newton