Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Leader Luck  (Read 2560 times)

Offline AlbinoCroc87

• Minnow
Why is it when I go to buy leaders for Muskie, they always reccomend titanium? But when it comes down to product usage, I have much better luck with hi-test fluorocarbon leaders.
TEAM SHIMANO / MEGABASS.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   This is my own personal opinion.  I have no research other than my own beliefs to back it up.  KNOTS-- I think often when line breaks the blame goes to the material (line) being bit off.  Look at a titanium leader.  It looks like a piece of wire.  Flourocarbon is tough and nearly invisible in the water.  Take a look at some of the super lines like spider-wire.  To me they look better than a piece of wire.  You need a wire cutters to get off of a snag.  I think when they fail it is more a problem with the knot cutting through the line than a bite off.  I prefer less visible than wire  with the right knot to match the line.  Again this is my own opinion with nothing other than my own mistakes to back it up.   :doah:
« Last Edit: January 01/22/13, 07:45:44 PM by DDSBYDAY »
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
My good buddy that was one of the first Professional Muskie guys taught me years ago...only use 100lb fluro leaders tied with perfection loops on snap and swivel ends.  Wire leaders or fluro leaders with crips  give out and you cant tell when!  Simple and cheap after catching a ski to put on a fresh fluro leader!  All I use is fluro leaders on pike and muskies knot tied, even on jerk baits.   Not a failure yet...t

Offline JMarc

I was recommended a tieable stainless steel leader from the fly fishing section.  Suppose to not crink (is that the right word) as much.  Might have to experiment with knots though.  Any ideas if this is effective or not?

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  The wire leaders kink. Titanium would be less I think.  I'm with Corny13.  I don't fish muskies but my friends that do are big into heavy flouro leaders.  The stuff is expensive but so are wire leaders.  Especially if you leader gets kinked from catching a couple of small pike. 
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.