Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Pierre area fishing report for Lakes Oahe/Sharpe May 6th 7th and 8th 2013  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Hutch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Fishing & Hunting South Dakota's Lake Oahe and Lake Sharpe
I guided a real nice couple from Sundance WY. Audrey and Marvin Finn to day one limits of nice walleye on Lake Sharpe catching these fish pulling plugs (flicker shads) in around 10 fow. Just about everything is working now and you can catch the fish pitching jigs, using btm bouncer/minnows and even night crawlers are starting to work. Be prepared to fish in a lot of boat traffic around the bluffs in Pierre. We caught a lot of fish so on day two we decided to try the big lake for some northern, bigger walleye and catfish. Marvin did catch a real nice 24 to 25 inch walleye and we got around 7 other walleye a few catfish but no northern. The wind was a factor as fronts moved thru but it is harder right now to put numbers together on the main lake as water temps are lower. I then took out repeat customer Troy Swift, his Dad and friend Gary up on the Cheyenne river arm of Oahe (seeing only around 6 or 8 boats all day) and we really caught a lot of fish. Got 3 or 4 small northern and caught and released over 75 walleye and keeping a 17 inch avg size limit along with 9 bonus walleye under 15 inch's. We had only 1 fish over 20 inch's but had several 18 to 19 incher's keeping 25 fish for some real nice eating. We caught these fish pitching Berkley gulp on jigs or btm bouncers/minnow rigs anywhere from 2 fow to 15 fow on a beautiful spring day in the 70's with no wind. The spawn is on the tail end and I think most of the females have moved off with the males hanging around the spawning areas so I look forward to the bite moving away from some of theses areas maybe next week. The bigger females should start to come back on bite making for larger avg. size stringers coming in.Right now water temps are in the 50's in the back of bays/river but the main lake temps are still in the lower 40's.There is a very good bite all over so I look for a lot of anglers over the next week end and many places will be busy.

Hutch's Guide Service

Hutch
Good fishing Hutch