Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Coyotes  (Read 7976 times)

Offline Bucky

• Outdoorsman
Anybody been out chasing any coyotes?

Whats your favorite call to bring them in?

One crazy badger stuck in a gopher hole.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
is dog food a call?
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Just seen 2 cross the driveway tonight as I turned in. Picked up another call last night, it's a bit diferent tone of a dying rabbit.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bucky

• Outdoorsman
If dog food brings them in then its a call ;D

Griz do you use a electronic recording call or manual?

Offline bambambiggero

• Outdoorsman
Bucky
i've use the mouth calls and brought them in!!
jus gotta be patient!
I've got a great spot if u wanna have it?
My gravestone will not say " I wish I would have worked more..."

Offline Bucky

• Outdoorsman
Bambambiggero

I use the mouth calls too. Sure is fun sitting there seeing them come in looking around.

Just was wondering if anybody tries the high tech gadgets when calling.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I myself just have a couple mouth blown calls. A buddy has the digital electronic that I've used when hunting with him. Would knida be nice to have but it won't be this yr$$$ Well I'd prolly make my own anyhow as ya can buy the stuff at radio shack and make ur own with a remote for about 1/5th the price. Then just download sounds off the internet. Cool eh.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Bucky have you been doing any good yet?
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What do you guys do with the yotes after you get them?
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Myself I skin mine then flesh them and streatch. I have sold them in the round too, I guess it depends on how I'm sitting for space at the time. I no longer have 6 frezers just waiting for the occasion.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline deersalyer4

• Minnow
wheres a good place to hunt coyotes and how to go about it for a newcomer like myself, ???

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I did a little thing on it here a bit ago. here is the link to it.

http://mnoutdoorsman.com/forums/index.php?topic=3073.0

If you have any other ?'s or need something cleared up just ask.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline KATOMAN

• Outdoorsman
What are the resrictions on lights?

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
12 ga nothing larger than #4 shot. No rifles

Thats when useing artificial light

Without the aid of artificial lights you can use buckshot or rifles.

If useing nothing larger than 4 shot by the time they got close enough to make a clean kill they'd also be close enough the pelt would be near worthless.

Oh and if you happen to be on public land make sure that it's #4 STEEL shot. Just for that extra knockdown power. ::) ???

I just double checked the regs and I'll type just what I read.

"Fox and Coyote Night Hunting

A person hunting for coyote from Jan. 1 to March 15 may use an artificial handheld light under the following conditions:

-While on foot and not within a public right of way
 -Using a shotgun
 -Using a calling device
 -Not within 200 ft. of a vehicle"

That was on p.46

I didn't find anything about #4shot only as I'd previously posted except for coon hunting.

Rereading it does give me few more?'s  that I might dig into later.
« Last Edit: January 01/24/07, 04:45:06 PM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Got pretty good light from the moon about now anyone been or plan on going out?
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline deersalyer4

• Minnow
does anyone knw wheres a good place to hunt coyotes in central or southern mn, thanks

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Do you mean an area or a type of habittat? Could you be a bit more specific.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline deersalyer4

• Minnow
sorry i meant an area

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Most of the area around here is loaded with them. Fact I don't know of an area that don't have them. I'm not too familiar with the area round the cities but go west of there and it's a matter of finding the habitat. Even if the yotes havn't taken an area over yet, you would still manage fox out of there.

I guess the area you should pick is one with habitat. If it don't have yotes it'll have fox. If you are stricvtly after yotes then I might try the south and western areas of the minnesota river. I would say my stompin grounds cept for there are so many people after them round here, they are pretty smart by now.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline deersalyer4

• Minnow
thanks  for the info

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Even though this is an old thread i will state my opinions on yotes anyways. If you want to have a blast wait until the first full moon of December or January when there is snow on the ground and hunt them under the moon with no artificial lights. This year we had some good success west of the metro with multpile dogs going down. If i can figure out how to post pics i would put up a few from one of the full moon hunts in February.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Welcome to MNO Roosterslayer!  I am glad you could join us here.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
These are three of the pics from the february full moon hunt.

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
By the way i am in the last two pics.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Prett cool! That is something that I would love to try. Maybe next year......

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I'd like to join in too but have no experience in that type of hunt.  You guys interested in taking a greeny with ya?  Whats a good caliber rifle to start looking for?   ::50cal::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline rchaze60

• Master Outdoorsman
so is there a bounty on them here? i wouldnt mind going too i love to hunt yotes

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Mainly for bird and deer population, but i also sell the pelts in the round for some extra spending cash.

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My choice of caliber is the .223 and I match it with 60 grain hollow points. The 17 rem, 220 swift, 22-250 and the 243 are all popular coyote calibers. I prefer the .223 cause it will do the job just fine out to about 300 yards as long as i do my part, and in most cases thats all the farther i can or will shoot.

Offline DeviousPete

• Outdoorsman
Sorry to dig up an old thread... but does the Rifle boundary apply when you're hunting predators here?
 Haven't hunted them here yet but used to have a blast back home in NY/NJ hunting them...
never really liked huning them with a shotgun and I'd like to flex my .223's muscles a bit more than just at the range.

Thanks!