Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Metro lakes ice?!  (Read 3146 times)

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone know how the ice condition were before this snow/slush?!  And any thoughts on how this metro ice will be once its all said and done.  Good thing is that tomorrow and Friday the temps will be in the teens, so that will freeze everything back up.
Anyone been out in the metro this year - what were some of the ice depths?!
I am hoping to get out this weekend, but I am worried about the ice with this crazy snow/rain.

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
went out to eagle on sunday majority of the lake was 6 inches but there was some 3.5 thanks to the ducks/geese and fish lake had 6 buddy tried to go out on bald eagle on Saturday but couldent get out to our spot (near the island)

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
BE is one of my favorite lakes to fish - because usually no matter where you go, you should run into something.  I frequent around the island though.
What was the reasoning behind not being able to get to the island?!  Too little ice?  Open water?!  I am thinking of going to BE on Saturday, but I will probably stay in the bay by the access or down the shore a little to the 10 foot hump.

Thanks for the info lentz, ive been so busy with work, its been tough to get out and scout.

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
to little ice he said he was only standing on 2 inches or so when he turned around

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
   Some of the metro ice may have saved.  The small lake by my office has very little snow on it.  It is a very shallow lake and ices up early.  It appears that the wind did a number on the new snow last night and left it relatively clear.  I hope to check out a couple others on my way home.  If they are all like that we well have some pretty good ice formation over the next week.   :happy1:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  After checking a couple of local lake web cams it looks like metro ice should be in good shape this winter.  Mille Lacs didn't look so good.  Quite a bit of snow on the lake.  Here is a screen shot from Medicine lake this morning.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline MTCOMMER

• Master Outdoorsman
Scott, you think the ice formed well to be able to cross BE by Saturday?! I would think there should be easily 4" of ice, if not more, but since its deeper, I wonder how that middle ice holds up.
Also, Medicine lake held up nice, I have a buddy that lives out there, he was out before the storm and said there were up to 6" in spots.  I think it will be making ice really quick now with these frigid temps.  I would think 8-9" by the weekend

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
   It all depends on how much snow stayed on the top.  I would stay away from any reeds and areas that might have a drift on them.  I am sure if you go out there a trail will already have been  blazed if it's do-able.