Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Can you say uncle?  (Read 11030 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
          :reporter;   Can you say uncle? :popcorn:

:sick:  Winter storm warning issued for much of the Northland :doah:
 Today at 7:48 a.m.

A winter storm warning has been issued for much of the Northland, including Duluth and Superior, from late tonight through Wednesday evening for the potential of up to a foot of snow.

The National Weather Service in Duluth reports that a strong winter storm will move into the Upper Midwest and bring a band of heavy snow to the Northland. The warning extends from St. Cloud, Brainerd and Hinckley northeast to Cloquet, the Twin Ports and the Iron Range, along with the North and South shores of Lake Superior.

A winter storm watch is in effect on either side of the warning area, and includes Grand Rapids, Ely and Hayward.

After some light snow this morning, snow is forecast to redevelop tonight and become heavy on Tuesday before ending from west to east on Wednesday. There will be northeast winds off Lake Superior during the storm - so with some open water, lake-enhanced snow is possible along the higher terrain of the North and South shores.

Snowfall of 6 to 12 inches is expected in the warning area, with locally higher amounts near Lake Superior. Slightly lesser snowfall totals are expected in the watch area - though if the storm track shifts a bit, that could change.

:snow4: :snow5:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
yea no kidding. based on the weather reports we could get anywhere from 3 to 12 inches of snow. :banghead: :banghead:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Retired on Osakis

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya, checked the report for here. Says 1-3 inches of snow tonight, 5-8 inches tomorrow, and 1-2 inches tomorrow night. The low range of those comes to 7 inches, top range comes to 13 inches.  :censored: I don't like either of those numbers so I'm hoping the weather geeks are way off the mark.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
                                  snow-way! :snow5:

Duluth tops 100 inches of snow for the season

DULUTH - A half-foot of snow fell at Duluth International Airport on Thursday, raising the seasonal snowfall total past 104 inches for Duluth, and there’s more on the way.

Thursday’s at-times-blinding snowfall vaulted the winter of 2013-14 into 14th place, so far, on the list of snowiest winters on record in Duluth.

It’s the second straight winter over the century mark for snowfall. Last year saw 129.4 inches, the third-highest seasonal snowfall on record in Duluth, not far behind the 135.4 inches in 1995-96 that holds first place.

“We were getting reports of 3-inch-per-hour snowfall rates’’ at times Thursday afternoon, said Kevin Huyck, forecaster for the National Weather Service in Duluth.

More accumulating snow is likely Monday. :banghead:

Monday Night...Colder...Rain...Possibly mixed with snow in the evening...Then snow after midnight. Snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Storm total snow accumulation of 2 to 3 inches. Lows in the lower 20s. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

I think we’ll probably climb a few more places up the (snowfall) list yet this year,

click each picture for animation
« Last Edit: March 03/30/14, 03:52:47 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
As of Saturday evening, it appeared that areas north and west of Duluth — including the Iron Range — had the best chance of seeing the heaviest snow from the storm, with accumulations perhaps exceeding a foot in some areas by Tuesday morning.

Duluth’s seasonal snowfall total stands at 104.7 inches, 26.5 inches above average and good for 14th place on the list of snowiest winters on record in the city. A snowfall of 2.5 inches would move Duluth into 13th place, and a snowfall of 4.5 inches would move the city into the top 10.

SNOWIEST WINTERS IN DULUTH

1. 1995-96, 135.4 inches
2. 1949-50, 131.8 inches
3. 2012-13, 129.4 inches
4. 1996-97, 128.2 inches
5. 1968-69, 121 inches
6. 1988-89, 119.1 inches
7. 1970-71, 116.9 inches
8. 1964-65, 110.8 inches
9. 2003-04, 109.9 inches
10. 1950-51, 109.1 inches
11. 1993-94, 108.3 inches
12. 1983-84, 107.3 inches
13. 1971-72, 107.1 inches
14. 2013-14, 104.7 inches (and counting)
15. 1955-56, 103.5 inches
« Last Edit: March 03/30/14, 08:25:47 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
There should be an * on these snow totals as the weather is recorded at the airport which is seven miles from the big lake and over the hill which drops 700 feet. A dusting of snow at the airport can be six inches at the lake. But that works both ways as you can have rain at the bottom of the hill, slush halfway up the hill and snow at the top. Here in Duluth the weather is something that changes every hour.  :coffee: When you have a city that hangs on a hill and is over thirty miles wide nobody gets the same weather.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
our family has a cabin in Itasca county. there in a winter storm warning with 6 to 16 inches possible.  :help: :help: it just wont give up in that area. have some concerns about winter kill in some of the small lakes in the area. :banghead: :banghead:

here in cold spring we have no warnings according to accuweather and msn.
« Last Edit: March 03/30/14, 05:59:03 PM by glenn57 »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Elk Grove IL
Monday, 31
Mostly Cloudy
65 | 39 °F
Mostly Cloudy

No complaints from me today :happy1:

Many BWCA Reports

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Elk Grove IL
Monday, 31
Mostly Cloudy
65 | 39 °F
Mostly Cloudy

that's good!!!! the minn twinkies are in chi-town to put a hurtin on the white soxs the next 3 days!!!! :whistling: ;D ;D

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Elk Grove IL
Monday, 31
Mostly Cloudy
65 | 39 °F
Mostly Cloudy

that's good!!!! the minn twinkies are in chi-town to put a hurtin on the white sox's the next 3 days!!!! :whistling: ;D ;D

I listen to all the evening Twins games on WELY radio when in Ely. I hate the White Sox. Unfortunately I'm a fan of the lousy Cubs :cry:

Many BWCA Reports

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
must be getting hammered out in the Bismarck area. my boss says he's headed for home before he gets blizzarded in town!!! same with a friend I know in fargo.

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Getting real ugly up here rigbt now. UNCLE!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
UNCLE 8.5" with 50 mph wind today still blowing, but has quit snowing...

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
                  Blizzard shuts schools, roads in upper midwest

Posted: March 31, 2014 - 3:42pmForecasters expect the same system to dump freezing rain and heavy snow in southern Minnesota and Nebraska.
By Brendan O'Brien
March 31 (Reuters) - A spring blizzard swept through the northern U.S. Plains and upper Midwest on Monday causing treacherous driving conditions under heavy snow and strong winds that forced schools and some state offices to close.

The storm was expected to dump a foot (30 cm) of snow as winds reach 60 mph (97 kph) in parts of North Dakota, South Dakota and northwest Minnesota by the time it ends Tuesday morning, according to the National Weather Service.

"It's not a typical storm. Snow amounts are on the high end of a big storm," said Jim Kaiser, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Grand Forks, North Dakota.

Near-zero visibility and hazardous driving conditions closed Interstate 29 from Grand Forks to the Canadian border as roadway conditions deteriorated in Minnesota and South Dakota on Monday afternoon, transportation officials said.

"Blizzard conditions will make travel extremely difficult, if not impossible, throughout much of South Dakota," state Transportation Secretary Darin Bergquist said in a statement.

The storm closed public schools in Bismarck, North Dakota, and delayed or cut short the school day for several districts throughout the region, according to district websites.

Kaiser said the storm is not expected to cause flooding because much of the area has been relatively dry the last month.

"Even through much of the winter, the snow we had was dry in nature because we were so cold," Kaiser said.

Forecasters expect the same system to dump freezing rain and heavy snow in southern Minnesota and Nebraska and cause wind gusts up to 35 mph (56 kph) in the southern Plains, the weather service said.
« Last Edit: March 03/31/14, 08:02:25 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
once again a dud here in stearns county. hardly even a dusting. the roads where a little slick but not bad.

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
I would so much take just a couple of inches of snow and some frozen doors this time of the year. I have had enough of winter and am now doubting if the snow will melt so I can get the boat out in tome for opener.  :doah:
Bobby Bass

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
                              :sorry: :oops1:          

:scratch: :censored: :doah: :surrender: :banghead:

:snow5:   ARE YOU PREPARED  :popcorn:

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A snowstorm of record-breaking proportions :cry: is predicted to mess up the Friday morning commute in the Twin Cities.

Forecasters say a mix of precipitation is expected to turn over to heavy snow after midnight Thursday and leave as much as a foot of snow in the Twin Cities by midmorning.

Wind gusts of 40 mph late Thursday night could make travel difficult in open areas.

The St. Paul Pioneer Press (http://bit.ly/1hjW563 ) says if Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport gets 10 inches of snow or more, it would be the Twin Cities largest April snowstorm since 1983 when 13.6 inches fell.

A winter storm warning is in effect for the Twin Cities from Thursday afternoon to Friday night.

view today's video forcast:

:help:

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_25478566/twin-cities-weather-storm-could-bring-record-breaking
« Last Edit: April 04/03/14, 10:46:00 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea they sure are whooping this one up.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
The one a couple days ago had me worried it was 10-12 inches then 35-45 MPH winds right after the snowfall.We wound up with a dusting of snow maybe 1/2 inch at most with 20-25 MPH winds.Extremism sells I guess?
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
The one a couple days ago had me worried it was 10-12 inches then 35-45 MPH winds right after the snowfall.We wound up with a dusting of snow maybe 1/2 inch at most with 20-25 MPH winds.Extremism sells I guess?

I wish I could only be right half the time and still have a high paying job.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Callin for ten inches of snow here, winds are already here as it is a pretty steady blow of about 20-25 mph Across the big lake they are looking at 20 inches so I have my fingers crossed it stays on that side of the lake. Real easy for the big lake to feed moisture to the storm and we can get dumped on, again. Am so sick of winter, and shoveling, and melting snow melt running down the hill to freeze everything till the sun comes back up. Deer index is over 180 in these parts and another deep snow fall is really going to put some deer on the edge over. Not to mention extending ice out and making a long cold spring.  :doah:
Bobby Bass

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I am in grand rapids right now and they got nuttin. Ran into snow around millacs though.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
What a bunch a putzes!! the scare of 12 inches was down graded to 2-4 this morn,Just now I looked cause it started snowing 1/2 hour ago.Nice steady light snowfall.Now we have a 1-3 inch guess.By tonight I'll bet that drops.I just dont understand?? Is hype that much of a factor?If so for what?
 general 50-50 with the weather predictors is close>I'll call it 35% close to right for the winter,the other 65% must be for attracting viewers?? Why do they do such dire and extreme come ons??I don't understand.Are the trying to draw replies for being so far off? how much do these meteorologists make and why follow the political way of scare tactics? Good god aint no weather that ain't extreme anymore

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Dew I expect to drive by your house tomorrow and see a snowman. :rotflmao:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Please God, no more snow for us this year. Just dump it in Al Gores estate.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  I made up my mind.  I am going fishing in the Gulf next winter.  I will be on a Sun Country high alert for a cheap flight. Fawkinnea,  I am official done with this  :censored:  !!
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
4 inches on the railings here at 10pm, winds howling and drifts are forming  :snow5:  radar shows us right in the way of the snow for the rest of the night. Going to have to get the Solar Shovel out tomorrow..  :coffee:
Bobby Bass

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
12 hours later we have ten inches of snow on the railings, back door is drifted in but just lite stuff falling now. Other side of the lake five miles from here got 17 inches of snow, we got lucky. Closing in on 117 inches for this year to follow the 129 of last year. Winter is not suppose to be 7 months long ....
Bobby Bass

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
Dew I expect to drive by your house tomorrow and see a snowman. :rotflmao:
I looked at the snowblower,then the case of beer.I chose the latter! I will make snowangles!! :toast:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Only a dusting here in grand rapids an melted already. Busy doing union stuff. :happy1: