Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Questions on UTV/sidebysides  (Read 2145 times)

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Ok Im getting old and thinking of getting a UTV for hunting, hauling out deer, fencing etc.  Ive always though why not just use a truck but my old one has lost mirrors bumpers and needs to stay street legal as has my snowplow on it. 

Ive looked at Honda's, Polaris, and John Deere  Ok Im just more confused on how big a engine needed and what type to get....First thought was a Polaris but then found out assembled and made in Mexico...?? What happened to Mn??

ANy thoughts and suggestions on what to look for and favorite type ( even if its your friends) appreciated.  Thoughts on new vs used and what total miles or hours on a used one you would stay away from.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
can am, or bombardier. made by the canucks. worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I'm with Glenn on the can am.  Probably the best machine out there with polaris being a close second.  Make sure you get power steering.  However if you want to set aside some comfort in ride and speed a Honda is going to last forever.  I'm not sure if the canam is like the polaris where 3 guys can ride in the front seat but if not I'd get the polaris.  All the guys I know with them have a polaris and a 900 I believe.  Very nice machines.  John Deere is a swear word in my household. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Online dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Brother bought a CFMOTO.  They win all the pulling contests.  More torque than any other brand.  One of his friends had a Polaris and the intake is in a bad place and sucks nothing but dust.  Fried the engine very quickly.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I'd also add that how close/good the dealership,is would play a big part in my decision.  However the dealership 10 miles from me sells canam, polaris, Honda, Yamaha, Kawi, and Suzuki.  Pretty much one stop shopping.

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Tks for replys... hadn't thought of canam but very small box in back from pics..   Air in take was a major prob in Hondas Big red also (taken off the market cause of)  Polaris  looks like their intakes are behind seat as others now also. CFMOTO had never  heard of... but made in china..   Why is JD a swear word General?  I don't need speed..but want the quietest, smoothest drive/ride, with nice size box.  Appreciate thoughts on used vs new also...

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Isn't honda's utv called a pioneer?  Where you will get the hondamatic transmission.  I'm guessing most or all others have a belt drive.  John Deere is a swear word because everything they make is overpriced junk or it could be because my dad is the former owner of a red implement dealership ;)

I think the toughest thing with used is knowing how well the machine has been taken care of or if it was abused. 
« Last Edit: October 10/27/14, 09:45:32 PM by The General »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I'd also add that how close/good the dealership,is would play a big part in my decision.  However the dealership 10 miles from me sells canam, polaris, Honda, Yamaha, Kawi, and Suzuki.  Pretty much one stop shopping.
must be willmar power sports your talking!!!!!!!!!!!! its where I got my ATV!!!!!!!

yamaha's are a great durable machine also. we have on my dad bought many years ago and other then oil changes no issues. actually still has the original battery and fires up when its cold out!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
They are all pretty basic The big dividing factor is 2 stroke or 4.I'm on my 2nd rebuild of 2 250cc polaris machines.The first was said to be in good running condition,I put 300 bucks in parts into it  now it is in good running condition.The second I bought out of a junk yard for a winter project,I cant find anything wrong with it yet!!! Its almost completly dissassembled,The engine is next.I put it together yesterday to check the engine hooked a battery and boom it fired.Today compression check.
 So in sumery like was said buying used is a hit or miss deal. Here's a deal for you>I need another winter project this machine I thought being junked would be a total rebuild.Engine rebuild parts 1/2 here and by Friday all will bee here! I am looking for a winter rebuild wheeler again cause I guess I lucked out!
 Find one you like and I can ballpark a full go over price for parts and labor.I'll assume the worst so your not discouraged by me saying it'll cost more Like the shops do. My charges normally are 60 drop off covers 15 minutes to 2 hours after those 2 hours its 35 per hour.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
must be willmar power sports your talking!!!!!!!!!!!! its where I got my ATV!!!!!!!

yamaha's are a great durable machine also. we have on my dad bought many years ago and other then oil changes no issues. actually still has the original battery and fires up when its cold out!!
Glenn57 you should invest in a minnesota gazetteer map book!! That way you can find the roads and lakes I usually refer you to and you'd know the general is further from Willmar than me at 13 miles maybe Spicer where I am 7-8 miles from.

Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yea I been looking at them for years..............but on my paultry union wage??????? :scratch: :doah: :surrender: :surrender: :banghead: :banghead: