Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: cookies upper red lake report from the shores of upper red lake  (Read 226211 times)

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Talk about dropping the ball.
 Wow what a crazy 6 months it has been. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
 Will start  with opener. She was a bit chilly but that did not keep the fishermen away. The public access was the busiest I have ever seen. Since opener the public access   has been full or near full every day, with the weekends packed.
 All of our guest since opener have had good fishing, the covid did change some plans for some of our guests this year. Our big crew on opener and the week after was quite a bit  smaller this year.
 I have also not spent much time visiting.
 I'll break down the first month as best I can.
 It started off with no problem getting your one over 17. under 17 were a little tougher. It then switched with getting your one over was tougher but under 17 were abundant. Then it went to quite a few smaller fish to weed through.
We have caught walleyes any where form 4 feet to 14 feet of water, We have got fish jigging, trolling spinners, trolling cranks. Bobber fishing, and drifting.
 Memorial weekend we had family up. Our grandson Mathew fished every trip I took the boat out. He has become quite the fishermen.
  Our good friend Jake made it up to look  for the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. He did find one? I did here of  over 20 caught memorial weekend so there still a few swimming around out there.
 Our good friend Ole came up Saturday so I took him out sunday for a bit. He got a fat 16 and a healthy 19 for a meal,  Today he has  a friend coming up to do a little more fishing.
We have Brady and his buddy coming up Thursday with no one in our other cabin.
 I'm back at the golf course, the back his getting a little worn out but I have been able to swing the clubs a bit. I'm still sensitive to bright  lights form the lingering concussion.
 Brady and his buddy are coming up Thursday for one cabin. I'm trying to get our good friends Wayne and Paull to come up also as the other cabin is wide open.
 The high water has made our lake shore a mushy mess. I still have not mowed down there. We did get some needed rain for the land but did not need it for the lake.

Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :happy1: :happy1: yeppers…….. good hearing from ya...…...and glad your still moving in the right direction!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Sounds like life is good Cookie.  Good to hear from you.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm never ready for summer to end as I have such a passion for golfing. Going to work everyday knowing I may get to play 9 holes makes it easy to go to work.
 We have a long list of  replacement and repairs this fall as last winter was one of the toughest on our equipment.
 I'm pretty much healed from my car accident last year other then a lingering concussion that has effected my vision just a bit as well as some memory problems, all though hitting 60 may have something to do with that also.
 We have a few reservation down in the books. Doo to the virus we will have to remove the pillows in the houses. I'm also stocking up on lysol to kill has many germs as possible. I really do not know what to expect this year so we will be winging it  like most of the country.
  The summer fishing was astounding this year. It could have a little to do with the high water? I did get to visit Tony the big water dnr speacilist while they were seigning this summer. Again I was amazed at all the little fish they catch when they drag the nets to shore. Even little crappies so we know there still a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie On such a grand lake.
 They also did very well with there test netting so there's still plenty of fish to be caught.
 I have to make this short has something came up  Stay tuned

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good to hear your report Cookie!!!!  and glad to hear yer doing better too!!

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
his early ice seems to get crazier and crazier every year. If you have followed me for the past 20 years  you should know I do not even go on the ice un tell I can take a vehicle of some type.  When we do get out we again plan on useing Hillmans access and help work on his road/highway. We do not run our own access.
 Buddy Hillman is now allowing 4 wheeler  out to the first crack  or to about 10 feet of water. 4 wheelers does not mean side by sides. I'm herring 7 to 10 inches of ice. We have always like 18 before the houses go out. That has been pushed to 16 and I have learned by mistake that they can be on 12? A week ago there were areas on the lake with open water the size of 10 football fields. I would expect any of that water that skimmed over may have 2 to 4 inches of ice tops?  Plus for all I know there is still pockets of open water as the ice sheet floats around.
 Last weekend I saw a few 6 elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies were caught. Some one even got 2. That should be expected considering there were 5,000 fishermen out there with 10,000 lines in the water.
 The walleye fishing has been real good for the good fishermen and so so for the rookies from what I here.
 The hammer and I did have fresh walleye for dinner Tuesday night. Considering I never wet a line or cleaned the fish. I would say that makes me a excellent fishermen.
 All the houses have been cleaned 3 times. we did remove pillows and blankets this year. I did leave the pots pans dishes etc. Jake picked up some extra strength cleaners to deal with the covid.
 After sitting in the wings last year do to my car accident it may take me a extra day or two to get back into the groove. Jonny Boy did a excellent job finding fish last year so lets hope that streak continues.
 Blue thunder got 800.00 worth of plow work done. She still needs a new radiator even though the one in there is only 4 years old?
 The red baron got 1000 worth of tranny repair and now had developed and engine problem. Fires right up 454 tbi  chevy. As soon as you put it in gear it boggs, stumbles and dies. It restarts as fast as you turn the key then does the same thing when you put it in gear.  Any mechanics want to throw in there 2 cents or come take a look we could work out a trade ? Jeff is going to look at it today so hope we can pinpoint the issue. I did damage the black half tons tranny when the red baron broke down coming home from the tranny shop . We had to tow it.
 I have a new gas tank coming for the 3/4 ton red chevy so that can become my new driver. I have not given her a nickname yet as I have not driven her since it arrived last winter.
 Looking at the books were pretty booked every weekend through the 20th of jan. Also the whole week after Christmas.
 We have mid week houses plus some weekends in feb..
 Jake plans on helping a couple days a week this winter. Possible our grand daughter Asley may also help if we can keep her from not fishing and visiting all our customers.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
good report and good to hear from ya cookie!!! 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Most of our guest caught some fish yesterday. max and his buddys in california did well, Ryan and his crew staying in cabin found some fish, they also did well, they have been coming early ice for 6 years.
 Never talked to John and Al in old  minnesota. Paul  and his crew in north dakota fished in front of the river . They also did not do very well. Keagan and his buddy have been staying in florida. They have just had limited success. Brian and his crew in montana were a last minute arrival do to a cancelation. They pounded them. Four young kids, super nice from  Minnetonka area . Logan and his 2 buddies did well friday but not as well yesterday/.
 So all in all the guys had decent fishing. I did have 6 wheel houses camping down at the shore plus a half a dozen trucks that were here for the day. That worked out nicely so I can offer that again this coming week un tell the ice roads are open. We again will be helping Buddy Hillman on his highway. So all are customers need to meet us there  again this winter. They did some remodeling this summer. They have bait, tackle, snacks, bait , beverages etc.
 I do have a private camping site , no water, electric  this winter on shore if anyone is interested.
  Yesterday at the crack of dawn Waskish woke up to  a few hundred fishermen in town. After last years winter fiasco it was nice to see everyone busy. I did go up to the gas station a couple times. Sandys gift/antique shop was not busy. She has a lot of great antiques. All you fishermen that are married and your wife lest you go fishing? It would be a great place to swing in and get her a gift. I be leave they still sell wild rice from the area as well.
 It was quite busy on the lake yesterday. I have  lived here 20 years, been visiting my grandma Olga for 55.  I have never seen so many portables on the lake. Not even in the crappie days. I kinda hope there is some fish  left for the skid houses. I'm sure we will be ok,  as not everyone catches .
 Someone said there were traffic jams in waskish,kellier and blackduck. I saw a couple lines but not what I would consider a traffic jam. They also said resorts were not open or full?  I'm not  the one that uses the word fake news. but that sure seemed like fake news. Don't get me wrong it was busy but by 10 am everyone was fishing with minimal traffic.
 Do to this  covid we have gotten rid of all the pillows in the houses which was probably a good idea any way. So bring your blnkets, sleeping bags , pillows this year if your renting from us.
. Were still plugging away on the red baron. It is defiantly having fuel delivery issues. Why they have to put the fuel pump in the tank is still beyond me but oh well. It has a new tank from a couple years ago so we will getting the tank dropped once I get my fuel pressure gauge to check the fuel pump. Back when I worked on our cars you undid the fuel line cranked it over if fuel came out it was not the fuel pump. We had Barny the welder fabricator in kellier rebuild blue thunders  plow so she could hit the ice anytime.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
What a difference a day makes. Compared to saturday she was a ghost town out there today. With the limited lodging 98 % of the fisherpeople must of headed home? That would of been a tough drive, driving on 46 after dark if you were heading home. We did have Vince and his crew  staying in the cabin. They were walkers and spent a good part of the day on the lake getting skunked? yes skunked one perch, one fish lost at the hole. Super nice polite kids though. I felt bad for them but I see they headed out this morning to give it another shot.
 Kegan and his buddy head home today. They fished hard everyday. Again walkers, they ate a couple fish. I think they may have  there 6 fish to take home? I will find out this morning when we say goodbye.
 We also have 3 wheel houses staying down at the lake so I will get to see how they did.
 Its getting down to crunch time with prepping for getting the  fleet out of the woods. The plan will be after next weekend . I have a fuel pressure gauge on order as we have narrowed down the shuddering, stumbling to the injectors not operating properly.
 I also have a another new radiator on order for blue thunder. The phone has quieted  down  a bit which is fine at this time. As the ice condition get better less call' s about conditions. I spose this week they will be calling about  wheel houses going on the lake.
 Time to go do some cleaning down on the shores of upper red lake.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Been a very busy week for me here on the shores of upper red lake. Cleaning all the shacks with new procedure takes quite a bit more time.  Once I get her dialed in we should be good to go.
 As I get older the back seems to get sorer, faster, which sucks . Last year did not help that's for sure.
 The lake itself has been pretty quite after last saturday that's for sure. I expect another crazy saturday morning as I know fishermen that are staying in bemidji as that's the only place they can find to stay.
 We have room for parking/camping down on our shore. I thought about putting some signs up, but just putting it out here should be enough.
 Jonny boy has been on the lake every day for over a week, be it on sled or wheeler, so he has a good idea where they were biting  yesterday . I expect Thursday and Friday to be way busier then last Saturday. After last weekend more fisherpeople are trying to beat the crowds if my phone call is any indication.
 I had a chance to rent a skid house that was being built but totally dropped the ball, Sorry Kevin  I visioned a chicken coup not a mansion. Oh well you snooze you lose. I have always said things happen for a reason, some times Ii have know idea why though.
 Got the new gas tank for the other red 454 truck. Of course the fuel pump is wrong so heading to bemidji in a bit. Since its a 65 mile drive one way my list has gotten longer. Eating  away at day lite time. I'm starting to get the itch to fish. The hammer and I spend are nights in old minnesota. So the plan is to sleep out there the first night on the lake. From 20 years of experience I'm thinking that could be the 16th of december.
 Its defiantly time to hit it in high gear, Its so funny, every year its the same scenario. When we should of been installing a truck part, I'm to busy working.  Then golfing after work. Hind site? You would think a guy would learn. I'm going to ask the hammer to slap me over the head next summer.
  Again all our weekends are full tell Jan 20th. We  do have plenty of Monday, Tuesday,  Wednesday.
 Blue thunder has a little miss so I will also be picking up some tune up parts today .The parts guy is going to make a bundle off of me today. My great friend Wayne, nick named wacker, from are autobody days at heritage restoration will be coming up on the 18th. I have a few truck doors and windows that need major adjustments  I plan on twisting his arm a bit. We will be playing some cards so the plan is to play him for labor? All in.
 Its getting light out, time to hit the road. I will get a fishing report written friday morning as Jonny boy has a few groups out there now.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
This year will be tougher to get to spend much time with our customers.. Due to the covid   we Will have to spend  less amount of time when checking in on our clients, then coming back to check in @ visit, as we have a way of bringing a little luck when visit for a bit.
 Feel free to bring what ever makes you feel safer from the covid. We did get rid of all comforter's on beds and all pillows. I also got rid of cards and cribbage boars.  I now have a new system to prep our houses. I tried to eliminate
things that may be handled quite a bit. I have left the dishes ,pots, pans etc. the houses have sinks  with dish soap .
 When I check in customer's I always request they leave the houses like they were when you checked in. Meaning not a sink full of dirty dishes. I always get a kick out of vacuuming the houses after the guest depart. I always think to my self. I'm vacuuming a fish house. "funnny story marty was prepping a house one year while I was working out side. I thought what the heck could be taking him so long? I go over there, step in the house. The  hose for edges had came of and filled the vacuum with water. What a mess"
 Jonny boy has been busting his butt getting customers on fishy areas. He sure has a good knack for finding the right spots. To bad they burn out. Never hurts to go back to them spots later in the year though.
 We had a full house plus 1/2 dozen wheel houses camping down on our lake shore this weekend.
 Jason and his son camped in Montana they had never caught a walleye through the ice so they struggled the first days. Yesterday Johnny boy set them up and they did better with a bonus fish Yes a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie.
Jeff and his crew in North Dakota did well both days.
Rick and his buddies were in Florida, they have fished here before and had her dialed in.
Solly and his crew? I have no idea how they did. They are staying in Kentucky house. Just did not too visit with them.
Old minnesota was a cancelation so our grand daughter Ashley and her guy Kevin came up to help me out.  I know Ashley wanted to fish. Not sure if they were able to get out or not. Ashley did say she was going to go fish with Kirk out of one of bear paws houses.
 California was a no show, we did get 2 younger guys last night that were from southern Wisconsin. They had fished all day with not a bite. Red lake was not being kind to them. Sage's auger broke so he had to purchase a new auger. Then his wheeler hit the back of his truck window when loading and smashed it in too a million pieces. I ask Johnny boy to take them under his wings today and help them out.
 Chris frolic came up. He also landed a fat  elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie, on a grand lake that owes us nothing!
The rest of the campers I have no clue how they have done. I also had 3 trucks that used our access. I know one of them got 1 fish.
  This weekend was nothing like last weekend as far as fishpeople so that was a good thing in my book. I would guestment there 1/2 of what we had last weekend.
 The big yellow food truck was here again set up a Hillmans so I had to have another one of those burritos, Going to try the tacos next time.. At this rate maybe I should by some stock in it.
 Blue thunders radiator needs to come out today . I'm hoping they can fix it.
 The torpedo needs to be fired up so we can cover the truck with the parachute .It's amazing how warm it get under there when its set up right.
 I'm still waiting on the fuel pressure gage I ordered.  In hindsight I should of waited tell I was in Bemidji as I have been there 3 times since I ordered it. More hindsight. I sure use that word a lot. Still have not figured out the problem but I refuse to buy anymore parts un tell we figure out what's the problem. We do know the injector on the right starts to spit and sputter at higher rpms.
 The new red truck is fighting me a bit. 1 gas tank  wrong,  were now up to our 4th fuel pump. Yesterday we got another new tank with pump and straps. The other tank kit now has to be shipped back to a1?
 The red baron needs a wiper motor which I have no clue how you get that out .Looks like they designed the truck around it? Also one of the trucks needs another blower motor  they sure go out a lot on Chevys'.
 Black beauty 's tranny got damaged towing the red baron home. The plan is to drive it tell she quits. Its I decent truck so it will get repaired.
White lighting has a transfer case problem so Johnny boy is looking for a used one.
Wow the fleet seems to be growing.
 very busy day here as we have a whole new set of guest coming with 3 houses being used tonight.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Hang in there Cookie.  Thanks for the report.

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Hang in there cookie, if you hang with BOAR I'm sure he's got worse cooties then that. :sleazy: :happy1:
Hope to see ya next Saturday. :happy1:

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
By: Brad Dokken, Grand Forks Herald  This was wriiten a few years ago

WASKISH, Minn. — The cloud of white whooshing like a snow-and-ice tornado across the horizon of Upper Red Lake brought to mind the image of the Tasmanian Devil cartoon character.

Or maybe Pig-Pen, the unkempt kid of “Peanuts” comic strip fame who’s perennially surrounded by a cloud of dust.

They’re common sights in winter on Upper Red, these white clouds. But here on the northern shore of Minnesota’s largest inland lake, the whirling walls of snow and ice usually mean one thing:

There’s a Hillman or a Petrowske nearby.

Driving a plow truck.

It could be Buddy Hillman, 43, whose family has owned the Hillman’s bait shop and general store in Waskish since the early 1940s. Or Kelly Petrowske, 54, whose grandfather homesteaded on the north shore of Upper Red in 1921 and who has made his living on or along the big lake most of his life. Or Petrowske’s son, Jonny, 35, who left a sales job in the Twin Cities a few years back to come home to Upper Red.

They’re not the only ones plowing roads on the lake, this trio, but few have been at the game longer.

And no one, Kelly Petrowske says, takes their plowing more seriously than Buddy Hillman, the unofficial captain of this team who approaches making an ice road the way an artist might approach a canvas.

“This is his passion,” Petrowske said. “He just loves it. Michelangelo painted a ceiling — Buddy makes ice fishing roads.”

Hillman highway

The Sistine Chapel, in this case, is an ice road that begins just across state Highway 72 from the Hillman Store in Waskish and continues west about nine miles to the boundary of the Red Lake Indian Reservation.

The ice road’s in the same place every winter, and it’s every bit as wide as a two-lane highway. If it’s not snowing or blowing too hard, Hillman says, you can see the light from the store seven miles out on the lake.

Besides plowing ice roads and charging a $10 daily fee for access, Hillman rents 13 “sleeper” ice houses to anglers who come mostly for walleyes; the Petrowskes rent eight of the overnight houses. In that sense, they’re competitors. But when it comes to plowing, they’re partners who work together to maintain some 25 miles of ice roads that allow anglers to reach some of the most remote spots on Upper Red’s north shore.

Another operator who rents houses along the north shore also helps out with the plowing.

“We’ve got a lot of roads, so without them guys, it would be tough,” Hillman said.

Ice time

As he is every day throughout the winter, Hillman’s on the ice clearing snow from the edges of the road on this January afternoon. His mode of transport is a rusty 1988 Ford F-350 diesel with an imposing-looking V-plow mounted to the front.

What it lacks in looks, the old

1-ton truck makes up for in power. Besides, Hillman says, an old truck is easier to fix. That’s a plus, because plowing an ice road is hard on equipment. Trucks break down. Sometimes, they even break through the ice. Hillman has a fleet of four V-plows and a straight blade and “a bunch of others” he keeps around for parts, and most are 1984 or older.

“Everybody gives me (grief) about these old trucks, but they’re the only ones that hold up,” he said.

Kelly Petrowske, who drives a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel that’s considerably newer than any of Hillman’s trucks, can’t help but chuckle when he talks about the aging fleet.

“Buddy does more with nothing than anyone I’ve ever seen,” Petrowske said. “He plowed two years in a truck that didn’t have a floor.”

Hillman’s old F-350 has a floor but an electric fan mounted in the cab appears to be the closest thing it has to a defroster. Rumbling across the lake on some sixth sense that allows him to see through a windshield that’s mostly covered with snow and slush, Hillman gives a visitor a crash course (maybe “quick course” would be a better phrase) on the finer points of building an ice road.

There’s more to it, he says, than plowing a long road out on the lake and gradually making it wider. Instead, Hillman says, he starts by plowing a road its full width — at least 150 feet — and gradually making it longer.

All of the snow goes to one side because the weight causes snow banks to pressure the ice and sink, which in turn makes the road more prone to flooding. Keeping the snow bank on one side also makes it easier for anglers to get off the road and access fishing spots away from the plowing.

It’s slow going, Hillman said, and it often takes him a full day to make a single mile of road.

“Last year, I kept track, and it took me 132 miles to make one mile of road,” Hillman said.

Lots of changes

There’ve been a lot of changes on Upper Red since the Hillmans and Petrowskes started plowing roads on the lake more than 30 years ago. Walleye populations crashed in the mid-1990s, and the fishermen quit coming.

Waskish turned into a ghost town, and for several years, there were no ice roads. Hillman made ends meet by laying flooring in the Twin Cities.

Then, about 10 years ago, a small group of local anglers hit the ice fishing equivalent of the mother lode — a huge population of slab crappies that had filled the void after the walleye collapse. Almost overnight, Waskish went from bust to boom and anglers — and ice fishing roads — were everywhere.

The crappie boom has run its course, but the walleyes are back. There’s a lot less traffic today than there was during the height of the boom, but anglers visiting Upper Red don’t lack for access options.

Not even Lake of the Woods, which has about a half-dozen plowed roads, offers as many access choices as Upper Red.

“I bet there are over 15 roads on the lake now,” Hillman said, “12 for sure.”

Job hazards

Hillman says he’s had trucks break through the ice nine times, but only once did he get wet — in January 2006, when he got a quick ride all the way to the bottom of the lake in 14 feet of water.

“It was just like a bunch of ice cubes,” Hillman said. “Sometimes, it’s just bad ice. It gets your attention.”

Petrowske’s wife, Patsy, happened to be driving on the lake not far from Hillman at the time.

“She came running up, and Buddy popped right up out of the hole,” Kelly Petrowske recalls with a laugh. “She asked him, ‘Where’s your truck?’”

With the help of Petrowske and some others, Hillman got the sunken truck out of the lake and even got it running again.

Later that winter, Hillman came out one morning to find a snorkel mounted to his truck along with two magnetic signs reading, “Buddy’s Underwater Crappie Tours.”

Petrowske admits he might have had something to do with that.

Despite the occasional misadventure and practical joke, Hillman admits there’s nothing he likes more than making a good ice road. Even if it means long days and late-night forays onto the ice to rescue a fisherman who’s gotten lost on the lake or broken down.

The job, he says, certainly beats laying flooring and living in the Twin Cities.

“I love it,” he said. “It isn’t always a money maker, I can tell you that for sure.”

Hillman pauses several seconds when asked about the attraction.

“I don’t know,” he says. “It’s not a bad office.”

For more information:

Hillman’s Store: (218) 647-8504.

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Still a good read!  :happy1: That must have been 15 -18 years ago if I am remembering correctly.  :scratch:

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
The season is underway as tonight will have our first guest staying on the lake.
 A few hiccups for sure. That's nothing new though. its  expected. I call it putting out fires. We still do not have the red baron up and running. if my fuel pressure gage does not come today I will purchase one tomorrow,
 I got the radiator repaired on blue thunder . there was no guarantee , she still has a leak but nothing like it was. I will have to baby her un tell i can find a new one. The new one ii did pick up was wrong.  I saw that coming, so I will have to find a new one on the internet. 
I'm not sure what Buddy Hillman will be letting on the lake this weekend but I can bet it will not be 3/4 ton trucks. That cold snap we had helped. Tonight they are saying single digits so that's good.
 The big problem is the fisherpeople  think they can go any ware they want?
I have heard of some fish caught so we will have to see how the weekend pans out. I know that Pat and his buddy in the cabin did real well fishing south of here. Neil and his son  staying down on shore hooked up with them so they also caught some fish as the first day they struggled.
Today  is going to be real busy for us . Wish us luck.  a little prayer sure does not hurt.

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Same here Cookie. Good luck and stay safe.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Our first weekend on the ice was a little slow for us. Chris in  North dakota with his boys had some good action the first 16 hours then she just fizzled out.
 Dan and Mel had florida for the weekend . They only managed to get 4 keepers. They did have a grand time on a grand lake and will be back tomorrow for a Christmas vacation.
 Montana had another customer that has been coming for years . Leroy his son Scott and Scotts daughter Nataly. They only managed a couple fish at best.
 California had Joe and his family Kathy,Lucy and Izec? They all ready made plans for next year same dates. Even though the fishing was slow they did enjoy there stay.
 Wayne came for old minnesota. We played some cards, watched some movies. Wayne is a dear friend of mine that we worked together in the auto body trade. He came in saturday and sunday to help with some  truck windows plus a door on the red baron.. It will make it a little easier to go on the lake with window that are closed.. he lost 3 fish and only landed two.
 We moved Larry and Dan yesterday . They have been fishing in kentucky our ice castle. They have gotten a few fish but nothing to brag about.
 It sure would of been nice to say limits were caught?
 Jonny boy and I got all the houses moved into a new area. There spread out so we will see what happens.
Brian and Stacy checked into montana yesterday. They have also been coming up for years. We also checked in Dan and his buddy Jerry into florida. Later today we will see if they had any  action.
 Were back to square one with the red baron as we have good fuel pressure. Sure would be nice to figure out the problem.
 I 'm going to pick up a timing light today, I'm not even sure when was the last time I used a timing light. I would guess over 20 years.
 Our ice castle Kentucky opened up for this coming weekend 24th 25th 26th?