Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: cookies upper red lake report from the shores of upper red lake  (Read 224533 times)

Offline birdswacker

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I wish I didn’t have plans this weekend I’d take a rental from ya
Cookie!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
26 days tell another big game fish season comes to a end. Its hard to be leave how fast it has gone buy. We have had house on the lake for 46 days. With 26 days to go its time for that second wind.
 Old minnesota has opened up for the up and coming weekend. If it stays open I will be camping on the ice. The hammer and I had a chef salad out there last night, plus a bonus crappie we ate on the side.
Danny jr had released 2 this weekend out of north dakota. The third one was not so lucky as the hammer was craving a fresh crappie. Danny ,Janel   and the rest of the family had a good time. Danny did catch a 35 inch pike saturday night. I think it may of been the same fish Jim caught thursday as the house was  a couple hundred feet from where I had set Jim up in his wheel house. Him and his wife did ok thursday eve. They had a nice run the last night and got 3 quality fish.  After that 2 little scuffits over night.
 We set up Pat and his buddy in there wheel house thursday eve. I think they got 4 or 6 keeping 2. I told them I would have a good report in the morning and we could make them a new driveway if they wanted to move? They liked my report so they wanted to move. Upon lifting the house a cable broke. Err bad timing for me as we were kinda busy being a friday. I was able to make a round trip to shore and gather enough things for  him to improvise a fix. The new spot paid off . they landed over 20 fish the next 48 hours. 20 fish sound great but when you do the math  that 10 a day or 5 per guy? or 1 every 5 hours? The spot they left they got 5 in less then 16hours.
 Montana had jonny boy and heather. She had a tough time landing a fish. If I told her once I have told her a dozen times you have to set the hook LOL.
 California was a bust for Jarred. They had quite a few bites but only managed to land 2. In hindsight we should of moved them saturday. Jarred said they still had a good time and will be back next year. Its such a small world as Jarred's dad Donny use to play pool with the greek. 20 years ago.
 Old minnesota was only rented saturday due to the cancelations last week. Dick Shawn and there gals did pretty good for 1 night taking home 9. From the looks of it they may of been fishing minnow heads as there were a few minnow body's under the house. Meanwhile 400 feet away, on a fresh spot Andy and his family can not buy a bite?
 I plan on fishing old minnesota every night this week, besides the chubby darter I will be trying minnow heads on  a Swedish pimple?
 As long as mother nature cooperates. "Knock on wood" we will be staying on the lake chasing the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake  crappies yes crappies. The last 2 years mother nature has thrown a wrench in things so time will tell. The plans are for the gang to go on the hunt the 11th 12th 13th of march. More details will follow. For now we will keep trying to land on the walleye mother load on a grand lake that owes us nothing

Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Trying to blog has been a little more then tough. It has been a world wind here on the shores of upper red lake.
Mother nature has showed her ugly side. Starting with 1/2 inch of snow then big nw winds came rolling in last wednesday. Once the winds calmed just a tad, the temps have dropped like a rock hitting 31 below saturday morning. Then followed by  29 below, then throw in some more wind.  Zoiks does it take a lot out of you and the help. Keeping the fleet going has been a big chore. Jonny boy thinks white lightning blew a head gasket? The hammers trail blazer coil packs decided they had enough. I have been waring 4 layers of clothing.
 Hillmans highway has again came threw with flying colors, They dragged the road for 2 straight days letting the winds take the snow into the air. I spent some time cleaning up the landing as it was also blowing shut.  Our secondary roads  blew in to the point of having to cut new trails to take care of the guests.
 Last sunday zack and his brothers checked in to north dakota where the first night they landed 7 walleyes. It went down hill from there. Mike and his family were at the end of the road. They also did not do that well. The fishing picked up a bit with bob and rick taking home 6 before the big winds.
 Jackie and her family arrived thursday just as we buttoned up north dakota and montana. Thursday night after dinner they crushed the fish? Just crazy? They landed  7 elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies plus a bucket full of walleyes. Friday they went to westwind for a big fish fry. The fishing continued to be good for them. The biggest walleye I be leave was 22. They also released another 7 crappies only keeping 3 of the 14 caught.
 Mean while 50 yards to the north california could not buy a bite with Brandon and Blain. Old minnesota had Harly with his son and grand son. They did manage too get 7 walleyes all under 15 inches.
 Kentucky had Andy and Andy plus one. they managed to take home9 and released some fish with friday into saturday having the better fishing.
 Florida had Kevin and Rollie where they also took home  there 6 even though it was slow they had a grand time as there tradition of staying in florida continues.
 Jake was also up to help a couple days last week.. they stayed in north dakota the last night where his youngest son Laken got his first elusive yet still catchable  upper red lake crappie. A fat 14 1/2 incher that jake filmed as he released it to fight another day.
 We did check in some more guests the last couple days. Due to the extream weather conditions the houses had to stay where they were. I guess they drew the short straw. One of my golden rules when its below - 20. Are number one goal is to try and keep the fleet running with as little ware and tare as possible. It has started to warm a bit with minus 16 as I type.
 The hammer has some doctoring to do  so Jonny boy will be holding down the fort the next couple days. Sayimg good bye and checking in some more guest.

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
good report Cookie. Good luck to the Hammer with the doctoring!
Hey look your bobber is up!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
The cold snap continues. -32 right now. Yesterday coming back from fargo we stopped to pick up another radiator, yes another radiator for blue thunder. At one point we were down to a car and that was in fargo.  Talk about going from plan A to plan Z. The big red 454 is getting a plow mount made . No sooner then we dropped it off white lightning took a shi... Head gasket. Blue thunder new radiator split along the seam, the red baron blew a power steering hose. Black beauty cooked the tranny this fall towing  the red baron. I'm not sure why none of  these problems pop up in the fall but  I think it may have something to do with 31 below.
 The fishing report  is a mixed bag. Danny boy and Andrea arrived Monday. she was so pumped to land a walleye on her new rod. The first time I stopped in Dan was battling a big pike on 4 pound test. We landed a beautiful 33 incher. They also landed a 30 inch pike. Elvis was set up right next to them. He landed 2 walleyes and a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. Dan and Andrea  did finally have a run of fish, I know they landed a 20 and 18 inch walleye.
 After they pulled out Johnny boy plowed Elvis a new spot. He had landed a couple fish last night plus as a bonus he caught the fish that took his pole earlier in the day.
 While I was gone Brian checked into Montana. Not sure how they did but seeing that some one was spitting chew in the hole was disgusting.
 Andrew and matt were in Kentucky  they had 2 on the ice when I saw them last,
Dave and Robin were in Montana before Brian . Dave did land a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie Tuesday morning plus they had a couple walleyes in there bucket. They had checked in Sunday. The house was in the same spot Jackie crew fished as mother nature kept us from moving her.
  Tanner called yesterday and cancel Florida so she is open tonight and tomorrow. Keith also canceled  California.
 What was a full house turned into not so full this weekend.
 On a side note a gave away a free night in a contest. The winner would like to donate to a kid that would like to spend the night in a deluxe fish house. One that does not get the opportunity to do a trip like this/ so if anyone  has someone in mind reach out to me so we can get her done

Offline snow1

• Master Outdoorsman
Damn cookie,godbless you ,stay healthy you live a tough life up there,hard never ending work24/7,takes a rare breed. Folks that farm as well,hats off.
« Last Edit: February 02/12/21, 12:58:23 PM by snow1 »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
ouch!!
i hear yea Mike. there's a reason i stay home when it gets this cold nowadays!!!!!!!!

good luck cookie.  :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :nerd: :nerd:
ouch!!
i hear yea Mike. there's a reason i stay home when it gets this cold nowadays!!!!!!!!

& here I thought it had something to do with seein how long it took before you got that question AGAIN!!! :sleazy:  :nerd: :nerd:                ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:              Yeah, neither man nor machine function very well in this weather. :pouty:
« Last Edit: February 02/12/21, 09:24:35 AM by Gunner55 »
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
:nerd: :nerd:
ouch!!

& here I thought it had something to do with seein how long it took before you got that question AGAIN!!! :sleazy:  :nerd: :nerd:                ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:              Yeah, neither man nor machine function very well in this weather. :pouty:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: yea she isnt taking it well!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: since this rona crap hit, this will be the longest stretch i've stayed at home. and it'll be another month. i think!!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
all's good here.  we had a taker on the fishing trip. young lady and here grandpa are coming for old minnesota

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
all's good here.  we had a taker on the fishing trip. young lady and here grandpa are coming for old minnesota
:happy1: awesome. But LPS is gonna wanna know if she's hot. :confused: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 :scratch: Miley? :rolleyes:                                                    ;) :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
now guys its a 14 year old girl her grandpa  reads the forums

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That is great.  I hope they have a good time. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man i thoight i was twisted
there isnt any thinking about it........you are!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
well where to begin? I guess it would have too be the weather. Its been a battle too say the least. We got the red baron up and running after replacing the power steering line after getting the wrong one 3 times. Also got the new radiator installed in blue thunder. Of course the place I bought the last radiator will not respond to my email. Imagine that.
 We also got a call from Barny the fabricator in Kellier he said big reds new plow mount is done, We now have the capability to put the v plow on either truck if one breaks down. Plus I have a straight blade that we can install.
 The stupid little ford had to be jumped two morning in a row. 2011 ford will not start but 1988 454 chevy does?
 North dakota had Tanner and his crew, the first time I swung in friday they had a pike, a perch, a crappie, and a walleye. Talk about a fishy area. They headed home sunday with a mess of fish.
 Kentucky gave us fits with propane problems 38 below.   The 30 lb tanks do not work so well. Then johnny boy was changing one out a 6am and the line going through the wall broke. After coming back to town I was able to find a replacement line. Glad I'm a hoarder. Its so hard to throw things away when  a parts run is over 60 miles away. Fred, Mel, Jeromy and Denice were very nice about the problems we were having. They did get some fish with some smaller ones thrown in.
 Poor caliifornia set empty all weekend .
 Old minnesota had Tim and Joy. He is a big part of the take a vet fishing, hunting etc. They had to take a trip to baudett saturday morning as she got a lure in her thumb. The fishing was poor for them only landing 1 walleye.
 Shell chick stayed in there sunday, monday .They got a fat 18 a fatter 19 and a couple other fish. They are heading home with there 6.
 Florida had our daughter Melissa and her hubby Eric. They also had some action. Boy did I have a laugh. At some time sunday night one of them must of kicked a sock down a hole. When  I was visiting yesterday I jigged  a line. It felt like a small fish. I told miss so she reeled it in, a nice size 13 sock. Man did I laugh.
 We all hung out for valitines dinner. . Last night Heather or feather as Eric calls her landed a 30 inch pike. She must of set the hook. They also had some walleye action landing a few walleyes to take home.
 Montana had Mitch and John they managed to take home 5 with a few misses.
 Another busy day is ahead as we have more guest coming today, tomorrow, thursday with a full house friday.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
With just 7 days of  game fish season coming to a close, most outfitters are ready to pull the plug. I think?
 It as always has been a grind but what makes it easier is when you love your job.
 We did have a guest swing by yesterday Jonny P red lake remote swung by and gave us a ride in his tricked out suburban with tracks. Wow what a machine he has there.
 The fishing the past week has been on the great side? Yes lots of limits were caught with some big pike thrown in and a few elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies.
 Kentucky  had Harley and his crew. They figured they caught 40 fish with 90 percent caught at the bewitching hour or after dark.
 North dakota had Sean, Michële, Payton and Geoff. They had a grand time on a grand lake with Geoff landing his biggest fish ever a 36 inch pike on a rattle wheel .Thats 3 feet of fish.
 Montana has Justin and his family  They took home 7 I be leave but released quite a few as the over 17s were tougher to get.
 Florida had Cambie Aron there 2 kids. They also went home with there 12  but did dontae a fishing rod to the bottom of  upper red  lake.
 California  had Ron, Ron and James? They also did well but had to leave due too the snow coming to southern minnesota.
 Jim and his son had our little  house north carolina. they also did well.
Old minnesota had Wayne and Paul two very close friends, We all had a hoot catching and missing fish plus playing a little cards with the hammer up to her usual game. I think with a little practice she could possible win  a texas hold um tournament . She just needs to bluff one time every once in a while.
 We also started a new program setting up wheel houses to fish in areas we caught fish and or close to our fleet.  every one I checked in on did well. Plus picked up a couple supplys for them.  More minnows,  case of beer etc.
Zack broke a break line when his tire chain came off. Welcome to our world. I came out and we pinched it off with a small vice grip. I'm not sure if he limped it all the way home but he did message and say he made it home.
 I had a free night I had given away. The gentalman that won was not a fishermen so he suggested to find a kid  that could come and fish John  messaged and him and his grand daughter Angela spent the night in old minnesota where they also caught more then there limits.
 brian and Stacy were here for 3 nights, They also did well. She sent a pic of there dinner one night. The fish looked amazing. They stated it was better the lobster. They have been coming for years also.
 We have also started to look for more then one elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. Harley got one. Marlo got 3 with 2 small ones. Jarrod got 2 small ones. Greg got one . Butch got two ,
 I think jake got a couple last week before e he went home. 90 percent of them were released to fight another day or be eaten buy a big pike.
 Our big crappie hunt is shaping up to be another grand one on a grand lake. March 11 12 13th.  The last 2 years m mother b nature has put a kabosh on it so crossing our fingers it works out this year.  I plan on spending quite a bit of time in old minnesiota starting tonight as we zero in on the mother load

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Great that the little girl and her Grandpa caught fish. 

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Going out with a hot bite for sure. The Wisconsin boys Paul and Evan teamed up with Jake and the boys Gabriel and Lakken figures they caught over 100 fish  . Jake ate fish cooked by westwind every evening. The second day with all of our fish Jake took 6 lbs of fish to get them cooked.
 The hammer and I spent two evenings having dinner in old minnesota  missing more fish then we caught.
 Sean, Chad,  Dave and Wyatt  ate fish in montana the first night. They packed up yesterday with a few more fresh fish to take home.
 As the season winds down we start looking for the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. We have me looking one way , johnny boy another.  Then jake going where no man has gone before. Were thinking the spot we have been looking is to infested with walleyes to find the mother load. Fun catching all these fish for sure. Then out of no ware a big old famous fish fools you at the hole. Its been a treat watching the hammer in action. I'm still having a hoot with the chubby darters. Now jake has challenged me to catch a elusive upper red lake crappie with one. I think if I have the right color it could be lites out.
 I have a idea where I want old minnesota sunday evning as the season ends. I'm  really hoping that spot pans out. Only time will tell but I may know by next monday morning? I might even have to break out the fish call .
 I set up Tim with his wheel housemonday .Yesterday if said he caught a fish all day about every half hour.
 We also set Ken and his buddy's up yesterday .They have 7 keepers so far. No crappies though. Pesky  bottom feeding walleyes.
 Time to get busy for the day as I again plan to wet a line at the bewitching hour with my fishing partner the hammer.
 We have california open this last weekend as well as another cancelation This time florida is wide open. She will be on a fresh spot also

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
The hot bite continued right into the last weekend of game fish season. All our guest did pretty well with quite a few fish caught through out the week into the weekend. The elusive yet still catchable crappie were not in the area with just one here and there. Dan and Mel had good fishing for over a month in the same place.
 The  last weekend we had Nick, Butch and Jim in north dakota, they did really well thursday evening.
Friday saturday were a little slower but they still caught some fish  plus ate a few.
 Florida had Rick and Aron friday saturday. They also had good fishing.
 Jonhny boy and Jimmy fished california where jimmy figured they landed over 35 fish.
 Montana had two couples. they had a blast with there best fishing the first night. They said they would love to come back next year.
 kentucky had Joe and  Zach and Seg? They use too work with johnny boy and have been coming up for  a few years now. Joe just loves it as he also comes up with his dad. He caught a 24 inch walleye the first night , saturday they all had a fish fry.
 Old minnesota  was only saturday night.  with Randy and his daughter Zoey. They also got there 6 fish to take home.
  We also plowed a few spots for wheel houses with all of them doing pretty well.
 Sunday we moved old minnesota and north dakota for the last night to a area I figured we might be able to land a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. The hammer and I fished  in minnesota while I  had Ryan and his wife Mollie and north dakota Ryan did land a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie but it was again just a loner. They did go home with the 6 walleyes.
 This week we moved all the houses to a new area hoping to find a few of those trophy  crappies, Jake was here fishing like a mad man as he just wants to land them,  get some picks then  release them to fight another day. I would say he drilled over a 100 holes give or take. He finally found a few the last morning he was here. Next weekend we have a few of the guys coming to find the mother load, Jake is pumped as he  has found 3 or 4 spots he would like to get everyone fishing.
 Last night the hammer got to catch  a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie she then released it to also fight another day. It was the only one we caught last night but I got a great picture of her holding it .
 This weekend we have our daughter her hubby, grand kids, great grand kids coming up. Johnny boy and I have all the houses set up close together as we all get to spend some quality time together. Once again its time to get busy as we prep for the weekend.

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Our small crappie get  together proved just how elusive the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie can be. 2 and 1/2 days of hard fishing yielded only 5 . Jake and I fished the area I first met Jake. One small crappie was caught. We did have some action but they were the wrong specious . Coming in we did talk to a few other die hard fishermen . They also struggled to find them. The walleye population seems to be fine with numerous sizes caught the last few days.
 Johnny boy and I were able to get all the houses on land and put into the woods for another year. Its hard to describe how good it feel to have them safe at home. I have had nightmare's waking up after dreaming that the houses are still on the lake and its all open water as far as you can see.
 All in all it was another successful season. We did have some bad fishing but also some good fishing . Catching 20 fish a night in my books would be fantastic. Johnny boy did another outstanding job looking for fish. Plus the many nights spent out there gives a good report of the best times they seem to be biting. Every year is different. This year catching walleyes during the day was all most impossible? There were  a few  early afternoons where they put on the feed bags but 90 percent of the fish were caught after sunset or early in the morning.
 Our good friend Jake also was a huge help ,prepping, and moving houses to fishy areas. He also brought his boys up quite a bit, Laken and Gabriel. Gabriel did a nice job helping out as well.
 We owe a huge thank you to all our new and repeat customers again this year. I was not able to visit as much as I have in the past. Lets all hope and pray that things get back to normal as the year goes buy.
 Our fleet of vehicle's had some issues again this year, that is to be expected as the lake can be hard on them at times. Blue thunder had to be limped the last  week with a wheel bearing issue, The red baron broke a front axle/u joint. I had decided to get the same v plow  mount installed on our other 454 chevy. She does not have the weight of the red baron but did her job.
 Our good friend Bill aka the greek  launched his new invention. When he showed me the proto type   a couple years ago I was like that's a million dollar idea. It called the Boat load mate. It illuminates using your bow mount catch. Here's the web site  www.boatloadmate.com.
 Another year is in the books. Again a huge thank you goes out to all the customers and help we had again this year

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Time for a fishing report? As the days of the internet ,cell phones etc. the hot bite can be reported in seconds?
 I / m not sure why the opener was so slow? My best guess is the fish are eating good with the abundance of bait fish in the lake.  My brother Warren from Chicago was here with his friend Roy. We struggled to find a bite. We did manage to get 3 keepers with 2 of the 3 being overs. 2 were caught in less the 4  feet of water? Frank and his crew have been coming for years and they also has a rough opener. Frank said this was the first year they did not have there fish fry Saturday afternoon.  Sunday was much better for them and they were able to have there fish boil which is always a treat.
 We did send warren and Roy home with there fish but we had to work for those  fish.
Josh and his gal came monday and struggled to find biters. Jim showed up tuesday and also struggled.
 I did here  the bite has picked up with again the shallower the better. With our 20 foot boat, fishing 3 feet of water can be tough some times. We have a full house again this weekend so we will see how the fishing is.  Yesterday morning would of been perfect to hit our  pre spawn crappie spot but my mowing job got in the way. I may get out  the next few days if we get some calm water to target the elusive yet still  catchable upper red lake crappie.
 My back did flare up big time last friday so it was a tough weekend to be in the boat. I fretted all weekend that my golfing days may be over? Its is much better then it was so I think I will still be able to swing a club.
 Time to head to work Ii see what I can report monday morning

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Another weekend is in the books. Buddy Hillmans Dad Shorty Hillman told me 20 years ago. "You have to be honest  about how the fishing is it you want  repeat customers" Last weekend was hard to report how bad it was especially how bad saturday opener was.  The bite sure did pick up starting sunday then carrying to this weekend. Both our groups went fishing for fun as they ate fish   then kept some for the trip home.
  In hind site when my brother was here maybe we should of tried trolling spinners? Oh well next time.
 I never got to our crappie spot ? The window to catch them on there beds is short so I need to get out there this next week for sure. just like every year my golf course job gets in the way, as I just have to golf after work as its part of the pay.
 All the kids will be coming up this next weekend. Its always confusing when I try to take them fishing as you can not take everyone  on one trip. This year the boat will be leaving the dock 8am sharp then again after dinner so they will all have to decide who is going to go. Its so funny every year Oh I though so and so was going  then no one goes?
 Been showing the greeks boat loading invention to our customers with boats. Still need to work on my salesman ship.
 Our very good friend Ole which is 81 got his turkey yesterday. Big old tom he just sent me a pic.