Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: cookies upper red lake report from the shores of upper red lake  (Read 224469 times)

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Well there is a pattern every year. Every year my reports  and blogging go by the way side. There are a few reason . One I have 2 summer jobs one at the golf course in Baudette" Oak Harbor golf course" I also do the mowing around here for the township.  Throw in a few guiding trips, cleaning our two cabins after guests, plus I'm addicted to golfing makes for a busy summer. The other reason is when it come to fishing reports it drives me crazy when I'm mowing homestaed park and the ball fields seeing all the day trippers launching there boats knowing our cabins are empty. They come from every where. So there you go that's why my reports are seldom in the summer.
 Fathers day weekend the fishing was outstanding in 4 feet of water. Crazy 85 degrees  and sunny, I would assume the fish are gorging the young of the year classes. Every thing from baby shiners to baby walleyes  plus every thing in-between.
 I did get out with our boat named 'Imagine That' my best friend Billy boy named the boat after a saying my Granma Olga.  She would say  in that Swedish accent  oow imagine that. I had some leaches that customers left. Headed out to my summer morning spot . Trolling a spinner, 12 feet of water I got a nice 19. A fat 16 1/2 I also missed a couple fish before I called it a day. The hammer and I had a delicious  meal.
 Jonny boy and I went out yesterday . I missed quite a few fish, I did keep a 16 as we want to have a fish fry again. We also tried shallow,  Again I missed a few fish. We did manage to get a  couple small ones so I'm assuming the fish we missed were small. 
  I also reached out to find some friends from  my childhood on facebook. Darn if I got a response from my best friend in forth fifth and 6th grade. Paul one of the nicer things about social media. He moved away from colorado. He now lives in las vegas . Soo enjoyed talking to him on the phone yesterday.

We are also became grand parents again. Luka halvarson we cant wait to go see him in mpls. I hope to take him fishing here some day.
 Update on The boat mate, my good friend Billy boy invented. I have not sold one but it sounds like there falling off the shelfs. I new when he showed us the proto type 3 years he had a million dollar idea.
 Well its sunday gotta go  finish the yard work before back to the grind tomorrow
Cookie's on Upper Red Lake
e-mail: cookie16@paulbunyan.net

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
cookie...still great hearing whats going on up there when you do post!!!!!!!! keep up the good work!!!! :happy1: :happy1:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
And he still cant catch a fish!
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: and yet you posted pictures of my fish last year on red  :mooning: :mooning:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
You begge me to hold my fish for a picture...
Man! Somepeople!
78.50"

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
You begge me to hold my fish for a picture...
Man! Somepeople!
:doofus: :doofus: man, your eyes gotta be brown. As full of 💩 you are if they ain't they should be  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
 Another    ice fishing season is right around the corner. Jonny boy will be swinging by later today as we button up a few lose ends on old minnesota, I've cleaned the houses, fired up the heaters plus did some inventory of the houses. Again this year there are no pillows in the houses.
 This year the phones have been a little quieter, the weekends are starting to fill up with more openings in feb then jan.. North dakota  has again been the most requested house. It does sound like we may have 2 ice castles to rent this year also. I will not be taking any reservation on these un tell they are here on property.
 The truck fleet as some issue again this year, The red baron started and ran fine this summer but now has developed a electrical problem. Barny in Kellior is taking a look at it for us. Blue thunder seems ready as well as the other 454 . I did fix the window so it stays up this season. Gets a   little chilly when the window falls off its tracks and comes down. The black chevy was going to get the tranny rebuilt? That plan back fired as the price doubled to 2800 hundred dollars from last year so I will have to come up with a plan b.
 This end of the lake looks like it locked up a few nights ago with lots of chunky ice. No clue how far it goes out that way. Every year   I hope it will freeze nice and smooth like it did one out of the last 19 years. Guess maybe next year.
 I personally do not like   pushing the early ice. With last few nights temps I expect we may be pushing 3 inches of ice. Since we go out of hillmans resort I let Buddy Hillman decide on what and when is allowed out.  I did see he has built another new house. I have no details on size at this time.
 The new limit starts dec 1rst 4 fish with 3 under 17 and 1 any size.
 It's pretty much a guess when the houses will go out this year. Maybe by mid dec just depends on mother nature.
 Jake will again be helping us out this year. I think he had a decent year with his guiding business On The pond outdoors. He also makes some musky baits that are works of art in my opinion.
 The hammer and I are looking forward to spending some time ice fishing inn old minnesota again this year.
 Everyone have a safe and happy thanksgiving

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Thanks cookie HTG! now glenn can quit bothering me....
78.50"

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
good to hear from ya cookie!!!   :happy1: :happy1:
:happy1: :cool: Just told glenn yday that you'd be back soon. :crazy:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks cookie HTG! now glenn can quit bothering me....
:confused: :doah: oh and you dont BOTHER ME!!!!! :bs: :surrender: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

nice report cookie!!!!!!!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
He bugged yu too about cookie??
:scratch: Oh, he's ALWAYS buggin me :rolleyes: :doah: & it's not just about Cookie either!! ;) :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Things are starting to pick up here on upper red lake. All the resort are checking ice thickness and conditions as we approach the coming weekend. Most have facebook or web pages they are updating. We team up every year with Buddy Hillman out of Hillmans resort and bar Tall Tale tavern. Sound like they will be allowing just wheelers just wheelers out the the 3 X stakes. Buddy did find unsafe ice, unsafe ice further out. With the mild temps I'm sure it not making much more
 Just like every year I'm staying on shore tell I can explore by vechicle.
 We have had a few customers staying down on shore in our fish houses that had done all rite, I do not think anyone has been skunked. They save that for me.
 We did have a cancelation this coming weekend. I would assume most operators are full.  It's a hassle hauling down hot water for cleaning the houses on shore, but it's a good trial run every year.
 We did acquire a ice castle again this year that has arrived so that one will be going on our web site, I nick named it alaska. cookiesonupperredlake.com;
 Yesterday I had 30 phone calls with most of them wanting ice conditions? or fishing reports. Err hard to get things done sometimes. I hate not answering my phone and need to learn to let it go to voice mail.
 The fishing report changes every day. One day they are biting well in 6 feet the next day 8 the next day great morning bite. Then a nice window at dusk in 5 feet for a hour.  Its fishing you cannot catch any if you're not out there trying.
 Well that all for now have plenty of things to get done today. Everyone coming up just remember common sense is free

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
Well here goes. Good morning
 Nick and Jacks crew were here Tuesday Wednesday.. they figured they caught 20 per day. They also caught one elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. This year I'm calling them a bonus fish They did land on the keepers. I should of walked out to where they were. Oh well hindsight is 20 20. I could see where they were so that's good enough for me at this time.
 Dan and his crew also arrived for our cabin. I will see how they did today as they were out there all day yesterday. Jason and his crew arrived around 4 30 last night. They unpacked and headed out as the sun was setting so we will see how they also did. I can all most bet they forgot something as they hustled out there.
 Yesterday I spent the day cleaning all the shacks for this weekend. It's kind of nice getting them all dialed in before they come out of the woods.
 I did talk too Buddy Hillman briefly yesterday. He does have openings next weekend. We are all full at this time. We are waiting for another ice castle but I will not book it un tell it's here.
 Jonny Boy will be up today to help get more propane's on the houses. The hundred pounders shot up in price? This year I will have to shut the heat off if they are going to be empty for even one night. I have always kept the heat on old Minnesota once it hits the lake. I also use it for my office on the lake so more than likely it will be status Quo.
 I also have a couple other things that need to be taken care of before the cold snap hits.
 I'm sure Johnny boy will be getting a little fishing in this weekend. I see a fish fry in the very near future say Saturday night.
  The first band of snow missed us last night. just a trace so far. If you're on the lake this weekend watch the weather, walking in a white out could be quite the challenge. All the resort have been updating what they are allowing to go out there access this weekend. I expect tomorrow to be super crazy just like last year. Please everyone use common sense a listen to what the resort say. Quite often they are soo pumped to arrive they do not listen. I can not count how many times I have told someone ok come out on the lake drive 2 miles you will see a orange cone. wait for me there. Then they call were a  the end of the road by the orange barrel's?. Kinda funny but with the early ice conditions pay attention. Have fun and save a few fish for me on a grand lake that owes us nothing

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
is cookie parking you wayyy out back like he did last yeat when i met up with you so you dont scare his other customers???????? :sleazy: :evil: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline cookie

• Master Outdoorsman
So it really begins. Sitting here this morning having my cup of coffee at the crack of dawn the vehicles are rolling buy. I was expecting it to be quite busy this morning if it is anything like last year. Although Rachele at HILLMANS POINTED OUT THERE ARE MORE PEOPLE WORKING THEN LAST YEAR SO MAYBE NOT.
 Some of the resorts are allowing wheeler traffic out to a certain point. Make sure you talk to the resort you're going out of as most have been on the ice looking it over.   I personally have been out about 100 yards if that. Buddy hillman has some stakes shaped like a x and has requested to not go beyond that point.
 No idea what the other resorts are asking so thats why it's so important to stop and check in to get the scoop.
 The winds did pick up yesterday afternoon. Red lake remote posted some pics of open water on their side of the lake.
 We may have some lodging tonight as few of the guys are worried about the possibly of snow coming. If it gets sketchy out there Saturday eve. It would be a great idea to get off the lake as white outs can be really spooky out there.
 We're going to try a button up a few more things today before the bitter cold hits us here on the shores of upper red lake. I've did my no snow snow dance so will see if it works. Sometimes it does but sometimes it does not.
 One year they predicted 6 inches of snow. I got up the next morning. I went outside and was like sweet it missed us. I dilly dallied around that morning before heading out to get the houses prepped for the weekend. Holes augured etc. To my surprise the snow had come across the lake after all. With that plus the winds, all the houses were drifted in with no roads or trails even going to the houses. That turned into a grueling day. That was a good lesson.
 The fishing report from all the guy's last night was ok. I do not think anyone got skunked. Jonny boy even landed a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. I nice 15 1/4.  The hammer/wife had vision of eating it, but Jonny boy released it to fight another day.
 We all full again next weekend on shore, Buddy Hillman did say he still had some on shore lodging. I peeked into his new double decker, very impressive. Thinking it sleeps 4?
 The guys in the ice castle nick named alaska were going to play some cards. I was still waiting for some late arrivals so I could not play a few hands. Maybe tonight if they shuffle up and deal.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw that double decker a few weeks ago when we went by.  Nice looking house.  So Cookie, I have always wondered what the deal is with that house that is right next to the Post Office?  They have the Tyvek on it for years so when are they gonna side it?  LOL 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I saw that double decker a few weeks ago when we went by.  Nice looking house.  So Cookie, I have always wondered what the deal is with that house that is right next to the Post Office?  They have the Tyvek on it for years so when are they gonna side it?  LOL
a douber decker fishhouse?????? how much ice ya need for that????????

LPS there are places around us that have looked like that for 5-8 years!!!!!!! not unusual around us!!!!!!!! :doah: definitely a different style up that way!!!!!!!

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
if I remember right Mil Lacs lake double deckers a few years ago already