Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: vehicles no longer allowed  (Read 1680 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
DNR NEWS - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                          Dec. 11, 2014

Certain vehicles no longer allowed on snowmobile trails

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources reminds snowmobilers that only snowmobiles can operate on the state's grant-in-aid trail system. Due to a change this year in the way a snowmobile is legally defined, certain vehicles are no longer allowed on the trail.

The new definition of a snowmobile no longer includes all-terrain vehicles (ATV) modified with aftermarket ski and track kits, said 1st Lt. Pat Znajda, DNR enforcement district supervisor in Baudette.

"The legal definition of a snowmobile is a self-propelled vehicle originally manufactured and designed for travel on snow or ice steered by skis or runners," he said.

Snowmobiles do not include vehicles equipped with aftermarket ski and track configurations such as an ATV, an off-highway motorcycle, an off-road vehicle, a mini truck, a utility task vehicle, vans with tracks and skis and some bombardiers.

The grant-in-aid trail program is a cooperative effort between the DNR, local governments, local snowmobile organizations, and private landowners who provide the majority of Minnesota's 22,000 miles of snowmobile trails.

Funded through snowmobile registration and snowmobile state trail sticker fees and gas taxes, the grant-in-aid program helps local groups and clubs develop and maintain trails. A snowmobile state trail sticker or a registration/trail sticker combination decal is required when operating on grant-in-aid trails.

Minnesota's state and grant-in-aid snowmobile trails are open now through the end of March.

For more information, see the snowmobile laws, rules and regulations handbook at www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/snowmobile/index.html.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I can see the complaint, but just have those other vehicles purchase the sticker.  I do have a sled but not any of those other vehicles.  I'm guessing the snowmobile riders are acting like the "holier than thou" archery hunters in regards to crossbows. 
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I disagree general. What's wrong with the people who use these grant in aid trails to also purchase trail stickers to help fund the system? Right now all the burden is on snowmobile users which in NY opinion isn't right.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I disagree general. What's wrong with the people who use these grant in aid trails to also purchase trail stickers to help fund the system? Right now all the burden is on snowmobile users which in NY opinion isn't right.

I believe that is what I said.  Make them pay instead of banning.  But my guess is the snowmobile people don't want them on "Their" trails. 

I guess you can't say you've been drinking all day if you don't start early in the morning. ;)
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!

I believe that is what I said.  Make them pay instead of banning.  But my guess is the snowmobile people don't want them on "Their" trails. 

I guess you can't say you've been drinking all day if you don't start early in the morning. ;)
:banghead: :banghead: :bonk: :bonk: yep you did say it. not drinking. on the job yet. guess I read to much into the snowmobiler whining part!!! :doah: :scratch: :scratch: you should know union thugs don't whine we take action!!! :bow: :bow:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!