Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ice anglers leaving trash behind.  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
                          DNR NEWS - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Officers find too many cases of ice anglers leaving trash behind.

Recent weekly activity reports from conservation officers (COs) with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources are full of evidence of various types of refuse being discarded along frozen waterways.

"Once again, the most common complaint dealt with while on patrol involved anglers leaving their trash behind," said CO Bret Grundmeier of Hinckley.

Grundmeier spends hours each ice fishing season checking anglers and encouraging them to clean up after themselves and remove garbage from lakes. "It is disappointing to find so much trash left on our lakes," Grundmeier said. "Anglers are urged to police themselves and others."

Minnesota's fish house removal deadlines are March 2 in the southern part of the state and March 16 in the north.

Conservation officers make a concerted effort this time of the year to monitor and identify possible problem areas.

"I've already warned a couple of fish house owners about the litter accumulating outside of their house, which they agreed to clean up," said Paul Kuske, a conservation officer based in Pierz. 

"I always tell people the area outside their fish house is not their front yard, it is public waters," he said.

Conservation officers see everything from wooden fish house blocking materials on lakes to empty propane cylinders, plastic bottles, pop cans, and even bags of human waste. All of these materials constitute litter. Littering is a misdemeanor with a fine of up to $1,000.

Used materials should be disposed of with local refuse haulers or at a local landfill. Litter tarnishes nature's beauty, destroys wildlife habitats and ruins many opportunities for recreation.

Conservation officers also use technology to catch litterbugs, including digital pictures and GPS (Global Positioning System) coordinates.

Excuses like, "I was going to go get that later," will not work and anyone who leaves garbage on the ice will receive a citation for littering.

Conservation officers also have solid waste civil citation authority. These civil citations are "by the pound" or "by the cubic foot" penalties, and since they are not criminal charges, they don't require proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The person suspected of littering must pay the penalty and clean up the mess. 

The DNR offers the following tips to keep Minnesota waterways clean:

Set an example for others, especially children, by not littering.
Properly dispose of any materials that could trap or injure wildlife.
Check with a local refuse provider or landfill for disposal of items.
Keep a litter bag or trash container with you when traveling or outdoors.
Secure trash container covers to prevent wind or animals from spreading litter.
Cover and secure any vehicle, truck, or trailer carrying refuse.
When visiting any recreation area, make sure to leave the area clean for the next person to enjoy.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Makes no difference what lake your on there is tons of trash. We always walk a shore line on the home lake.Weswt shore The general knows it no houses just a park.15-20 33 gallon bags of trash each spring!! few years back the shore owners got together and did 3/4 of the lake filled 3 12 yard turcks!! EVERY FRIGGIN YEAR!!! Those ice people just dont care!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Slobs!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 Yep Lee,I aint seen it that bad but a 1600 acre lake and 200-700 shacks a year then more portables and each leaves a little adds up.We have collected ply pieces,tires lots a plastic>>I wonder how much sunk? I hate that chit!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Thats just crazy and maddening.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"