Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Snowmobile?  (Read 7081 times)

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
  I was at the lake of no fish last weekend when the big thaw made fishing pretty much impossible without a wet suit.  I decided I would try to get the polaris indy started.  It has been about 4 winters since it was started last.  I called my dad to ask if he had a pump or anything that I could use to get the old gas out.  He said because it was premium with fuel stabilizer it should be fine.  I didn't agree so I added 1/4 tank of fresh premium to the already 1/2 tank of old gas.  I pulled a few times and nothing.  I removed the 2 plugs and added some gas directly.  It popped right off running for a few seconds on the gas in the carb.  Then nothing.  I did it a couple of times with the same result.  It was warm enough in the pole barn that I didn't mind screwing around with it.  End result no gas getting to the carbs.   Yes I did turn the fuel line on.  What's the next step?
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Wicked Jester

• Outdoorsman
I don't think 4 year old gas would be any good either. Even the non-oxy premium with stabilizer.

No gas getting to the carb would be either the fuel line or the inlet needle and seat. Fuel line should be easy enough to check. Pull it off the carb and see if it flows. If gas is getting to the carb but not in, the carb needs to come off and taken apart to be cleaned and quite possibly new needle, seat and maybe gaskets. Be sure to run a small wire through the ports. (a twist tie wire works good)

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
 The old gas rumer is kinda true,The thing that happened is the old fuel in the carb developed varnish and gelled.First pull on the rope sucked that gell into your carb.
 If you ever need to drain the tank remove the fuel inlet line off the carb,put it in a container and open the fuel flow pitcock.That will drian old fuel but to remove it from the carb, now it needs removed soaked blown out and reinstalled.You proved what was wrong when you put fuel in the cylinder and it fired.
 Sometimes or most often just remove the carbs bowl before pulling the rope, If it sat for 8-10 months or more without starting.Take some spray cleaner and clean the inlet,bowl check valve,Removing that gel and varnish before it gets sucked in to the carb'
 I'm sure you can pull the carb abd with some spray GumOut have it running within a hour.If it has needle jets count the turns in till they bottom out,Then when reinstalling set them the same as they were.That set should be so close no carb adjustment need be done.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Thanks guys.  Thats pretty much what I thought.  This project should have been started earlier in the fall.   :bonk:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline tomcat

• Outdoorsman
Try Starting Fliud, it always worked for me.

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Get an Arctic Cat.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
dew and wicked pretty much hit the trouble on the head!!!!

get a ski-doo!!!!! :bow: :bow:

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman

I knew better.  I should have drained the gas.  Trying to find a tool up there is not so easy.  I was lucky to find a plug wrench.   There is a brand new snowblower that is in the same condition.  That gas was premium too but I think the stabilizer was left out.  That was over one winter.   :doah:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

I knew better.  I should have drained the gas.  Trying to find a tool up there is not so easy.  I was lucky to find a plug wrench.   There is a brand new snowblower that is in the same condition.  That gas was premium too but I think the stabilizer was left out.  That was over one winter.   :doah:
maybe instead of chasing all them outing women at nite ya should spend a little more time in maintence mode!!!!!!! :police: :happy1: :happy1: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Fresh gas fresh plugs. BUT stabilizer can erode the plastice gas lines. Specially the one in the tank. They can just drop off speciall afte 4 years.thats a big possibility the plastic gas line inside tue tankcould have eroded off with the brack down of fuel and gsstreatment.also on indys, i have a tripple, soni know this. Down on the bottom of the block by the beelypan directly below each cylindrr is a drain plug for each carb wnd cylinder. Just for floddi g purposes. Ive done it numerous times, on my tripple. Take out plugs,open drain plugs, plull it over several times, put in dry plugs. And shell pop off. But im sorry to say after 4 years, saveurself a huge head ach and just take it in. No doubt u have jets plugged and seals could be dry and cracked
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Dam phone keyboard. Hope it kinra clear
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Dam phone keyboard. Hope it kinra clear
oh yea blame it on the phone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :bonk: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
I blame it on you, your so helpless i just gots try and help somehow :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
78.50"

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
I really hate to admit this but boar is right. unless you got someone that knows how to take a carb apart, clean it up and put in new stuff bring it in. amazing the difference a carb cleanup does for a running sled.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  I hate even more to admit that you are both right.  I'll take it in because I have some fishing to do.   :fishing2:   Plus the night I worked on it I woke up twice with a shooting pain running up my shoulder to the neck from pulling that dam starter rope.   :doah:
« Last Edit: December 12/17/14, 08:52:37 PM by DDSBYDAY »

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
Ouch i know how ya feeel. 1 more sugestiin, i think most shops do it butsome dont. I take my carbs to a private guy that uses a harmonic dampener, similar to those that clean brss casig. The sound vibrwtes into the tiniest areas that on cant do manuely. I had a mtor bike that st for six years.the carbs looked like i pulled them from the bottom of the lake. Ran like a dream
78.50"

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
Where abouts is this snowmachine? I was a Polaris mechanic for a couple years and could probably clean those carbs for ya.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
For a small cash donation of my choosing of coarse.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  Outing MN.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
  Outing MN.
Come March I should open the repair garage again. Bring er down. I know I'm cheaper than anyone>>Retired/disabled, bored an obstinent. But you'll leave happy even with the long haul to get here.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
Outing MN is a long way to go to clean some carbs.
If you ever get down to the buffalo are bring them with.

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
so DDS you get that Pull Off Lake And Repair In Spring runnin yet??????

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  No it's going to have to wait until summer.  We really don't have any snow.  I used the wheeler until I could drive on the lake.  So I don't think I will be needing it this winter.  I'll probably get it fixed in the fall so I don't have so long to run it once it's done.