Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: any lawn experts??????????  (Read 4913 times)

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
I have an area in my lawn I need to pretty up. I plan on after labor day to rake it up, soften up the ground and reseed/replant grass seed.

think its to early. I did it late last fall with the intent of it to sprout in the spring but with the fall we had it pretty much all grew. also survived the winter and really came in and filled out nicely.

one thing I might add, thru advice from others, the Schultz brand grass seed you can get at menards is the best stuff I have ever used for replanting grass.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I have an area in my lawn I need to pretty up. I plan on after labor day to rake it up, soften up the ground and reseed/replant grass seed.

think its to early. I did it late last fall with the intent of it to sprout in the spring but with the fall we had it pretty much all grew. also survived the winter and really came in and filled out nicely.

one thing I might add, thru advice from others, the Schultz brand grass seed you can get at menards is the best stuff I have ever used for replanting grass.
I'm no expert there union hondo! BUt I always prep the soil and wait to spread the grass seed till just before a snow. That way no birds eat it and no watering worries, it will be watered as snow melts and come up purddy next spring with no hassles!!!
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Now's a good time, warm enough to get it sprouted and established....as long as you water it every day, Smurf. Enough to keep it moist. I just re-did an area of my lawn, 2 weeks ago, mowed it yday. You already know I push the Schulz Hardy Lawn, with it's bluegrass and ryegrass cultivars. 'Course, they have about 5 varieties. I find that (Hardy Lawn)the best for overwintering. Remember to have that soil raked up good and loose, as young seedlings can't push roots into compacted soil. Don't forget the fertilizer mixed with it, either. I use Scott's Turf Builder. I like the slow release nitrogen granules. When I do my last fertilize in the Fall,  I always mix a bag of the Schulz seed in with the Turf Builder. You've seen my lawn pics.....works for me!  Boober also is happy with his results, ask him how he did his.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Now's a good time, warm enough to get it sprouted and established....as long as you water it every day, Smurf. Enough to keep it moist. I just re-did an area of my lawn, 2 weeks ago, mowed it yday. You already know I push the Schulz Hardy Lawn, with it's bluegrass and ryegrass cultivars. 'Course, they have about 5 varieties. I find that (Hardy Lawn)the best for overwintering. Remember to have that soil raked up good and loose, as young seedlings can't push roots into compacted soil. Don't forget the fertilizer mixed with it, either. I use Scott's Turf Builder. I like the slow release nitrogen granules. When I do my last fertilize in the Fall,  I always mix a bag of the Schulz seed in with the Turf Builder. You've seen my lawn pics.....works for me!  Boober also is happy with his results, ask him how he did his.  :happy1:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman

Hey thug heres a little lawn ed u kation fer ya
http://www.thelawninstitute.org/pages/education/lawn-history/lawns-and-lawn-history/

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
sheez dew, just wanted a little advice...........not read an encyclopedia!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
yep........gotta hedge the pension fund to scrape up enough nickels to buy the fertilzer yet.

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
sheez dew, just wanted a little advice...........not read an encyclopedia!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!
figured you would complain of a long read!! Only the wealthy could do a lawn with servants doin the work!! Yah know kinda like a union rep the lazy but wealthy lettin someone else doo laborious work for em :moon: :happy1: :bow: :bow:!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
figured you would complain of a long read!! Only the wealthy could do a lawn with servants doin the work!! Yah know kinda like a union rep the lazy but wealthy lettin someone else doo laborious work for em :moon: :happy1: :bow: :bow:!!
and DATZ why I gotta do it myself!!!!!!! carry water from the river............at night!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, ol Schultz hardy brand worked great for me, until the pooch and I played more fetch.  :bonk:. Tried applying more in ares but between the monsoon rains and birds I just waisted seed and time. Next time it will be scratched in and aerated before winter..

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
and DATZ why I gotta do it myself!!!!!!! carry water from the river............at night!!!!!!!!!

You forgot up a hill, and over three fences.... :scratch:

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
Maybe under three fences ;)
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't worry reb pretty much how you explained us how I plan on doing it. You happy now! :doah: :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Reb,general I just assumed yea'all already knew that!! :happy1:

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
well got my lawn worked up and reseeded on Tuesday!!!!! threw down some winterizinf lawn fertilizer last nite. this rain is wunnerful!!!!!!!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
man, I got home from up nort this past sunday and was in AWE of how that new grass came in. was awesome to see. off to a good start. that rain was very timely!!!!