Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 900889 times)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
yup! lova da burger. specialy farm cow meat.
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I finally found some Texas Style Beef Back Ribs.  They look real meaty.  Most of the beef ribs I see are all bones and little meat.  I have never done beef ribs before so can't wait to try them on the pellet smomer.  I see on RH's site that he does them pretty much like pork ribs.  About a 5 hour smome.  I think I will do 3-1-1????  May be subject to change as things progress.  I just dusted them with some garlic, pepper, etc. 

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Just plain old pig steaks on the grill today. along wit some taters fried in onions and butter. And a veggie to be determined later.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I finally found some Texas Style Beef Back Ribs.  They look real meaty.  Most of the beef ribs I see are all bones and little meat.  I have never done beef ribs before so can't wait to try them on the pellet smomer.  I see on RH's site that he does them pretty much like pork ribs.  About a 5 hour smome.  I think I will do 3-1-1????  May be subject to change as things progress.  I just dusted them with some garlic, pepper, etc.

I think with beef you want something more like what are spare ribs on a pig.   I posted something about it in the good morning thread, probably the wrong place.   my bad. 

Anyway I hope it is interesting information.   

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
WE're doin a rack a babybacks that were for last evening but we had fresh fish in their place last night.
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Our first try at beef ribs was great!!!  Just did a 3-2-1 and used some Bullseye BBQ sauce that I got for $1 a bottle and added a little JAG of red wine to it for the juice when I foiled it.  I really don't think the brand of BBQ sauce matters that much.  It is just some flavor to add to the juices that are already there.  Worked great!!!  They were tender and had the flavor of chuck roast which is one of my favorite pieces of beef. I will definitely do them again.   

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
You did great on those beef ribs [my favorite ribs].  The ribs you got look like they were cut fresh off the standing rib at the shop there.  That's the one's I look for myself.  Those cryo packaged ones don't have much meat at all.  If you can get a beef plate [that's where the short ribs are cut from] then you hit the gold mine.  I'm getting a couple for easter.  Just having them cut three times through so I have 3 strips to smoke.  good luck.

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ya RH, they were in the styrofoam plate with cellophane on top with the store label on them.  I will look for them more often now that I know what to look for. 

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ribs look awesome LPS!

Did the annual meeting thing here yesterday so had the grill cranked up the afternoon before grilling the weenies for that. Put them on a bed of kraut in the roaster and that works slick. Was supposed to go out to supper the night before with my brother who spoke at the meeting. He was running late so had lamb chops as Plan B ready to grill in case. He opted for Plan B!  :happy1:

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Boar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • VP of Entertainment!
2019 GRAND MASTER BUCK CHAMPION!!
2021 ICE FISHING MASTER CHAMPION
78.50"

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I admit it boar, I do look like a weenie...lol

Did you notice the Bombay is reaching a critical level? Best make a run for the border to replenish me supply! :cheerleader:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Holy Barbecue Batman....those ribs and lamb chops look great!
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Great work gents!! Beef ribs, chops and weenies in kraut...awesone. :happy1:

Offline HD

• Administrator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • #1 Judge (Retired)
    • Minnesota Outdoorsman
Tonight we had pig chops, baby tators with broccoli & cheese.
Mama always said, If you ain't got noth'in nice to say, don't say noth'in at all!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks great Dotch.  Especially those lamb chops.  I did find a guy here that is starting to raise sheep.  I told him to keep me in the loop for a lamb big enough to butcher when he has them.  He just got some ewes and a buck so is in the beginning stage.  SO to you Dotch.  How old should they be butchered and how much should they weigh at that stage?  Also what is the cost per lb. live weight for them?

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looks great Dotch.  Especially those lamb chops.  I did find a guy here that is starting to raise sheep.  I told him to keep me in the loop for a lamb big enough to butcher when he has them.  He just got some ewes and a buck so is in the beginning stage.  SO to you Dotch.  How old should they be butchered and how much should they weigh at that stage?  Also what is the cost per lb. live weight for them?

When to butcher depends a little on the breed and how they're being fed. Also personal preference. A lot of the lambs if they're being fed grain right along can be ready in 6 - 7 months. I like the weight at 100 - 120 lb.s while some will push for up to 140 lber's. Some breeds like our Cheviots can easily go a year and maintain the flavor of the meat while increasing the size of the cuts without getting ridiculously fat. They also convert fairly well on grass for those wanting "grass fed". Not the way I like it but we sell breeding stock to people who raise grass fed. As far as price on the hoof, looked at the Zumbrota market tonight in Agri-News and it was $1.25 - $1.60 per lb. There were a few as high as $1.80. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Sure looked good to me! I had a couple of Stouffers in the freezer for emergencies....thank god. I can't stand on this leg long enough to make a real dinner or do anything. Think I'll head in to get seen tomorrow....that purple and yellow bloated leg just ain't very pretty.  :shocked:  ;)

Offline Reinhard

• Master Outdoorsman
Smoked a bone in NY strip roast the other day.  Had it in the freezer from a sale.  Decided to make hoagies from the roast.  Turned out nice.  Pulled it from the smoker at 130 internal.  Let it rest and sliced it as thin as I could and put the slices in au jus.    Did some with melted cheese and some without.  good luck

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
OMIGOD..... :tongue:   hubba_hubba-404.gif   I haveta move. Now.  What's yer downstairs look like?   ;D

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
May have to put in bunk beds for me and Rebs RH.  Great looking meal.  And Dotch thanks for the info.  I will let you know what breed they have as I learn more from them.  I do know the Ram is a mix. 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
great looking meal RH!! :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
May have to put in bunk beds for me and Rebs RH.  Great looking meal.  And Dotch thanks for the info.  I will let you know what breed they have as I learn more from them.  I do know the Ram is a mix.
there's no room fer the 2 of you..............the adoption papers are just about complete!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
there's no room fer the 2 of you..............the adoption papers are just about complete!!!!!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

someone should tell RH what he's gettin into!! :rotflmao:

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
Saw some decent looking lamb pieces parts at Costco today, not to interfere with all the nonsense.  They were from Australia, mate.   Throw another lamb on the barbie....

(not that I am much of a lamb connoisseur)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I had boneless seasoned center cut piggy fillets. Melt in yer mouth soft, with some cauliflower in cheese sauce.  They just weren't on the grill....:tongue:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks mint Rh,  and that's wonnerful as well Reb.  Nothing to write home about here, just some Barry Manilo specials.. :rotflmao: Homemade hot  Italians,  some were boiled in beer and some not.  :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks mint Rh,  and that's wonnerful as well Reb.  Nothing to write home about here, just some Barry Manilo specials.. :rotflmao: Homemade hot  Italians,  some were boiled in beer and some not.  :happy1:

I was just dipping a 'nanner into a chocolate pudding cup.....when I was reading this...looked at the nanner... face_plant-2139.gif
BARRY MANILOW BANANA.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :puke:

Don 't forget to slather them custom weenies with horseradish mustard, boobalo.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 04/06/17, 06:30:24 PM by Rebel SS »

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

I was just dipping a 'nanner into a chocolate pudding cup.....when I was reading this...looked at the nanner... face_plant-2139.gif
BARRY MANILOW BANANA.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :puke:

Don 't forget to slather them custom weenies with horseradish mustard, boobalo.  ;)

you will never see a banana in the same way again!!!   tut_tut-3315.gif

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
I know. Especially dipped in chocolate pudding. I really like 'em that way. The banana, I mean...  :doah:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
I know. Especially dipped in chocolate pudding. I really like 'em that way. The banana, I mean...  :doah:

face_plant-2139.gif :rotflmao: