Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 901008 times)

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Ain't that the truth Reb? We rarely went out as Dad's philosophy was "we have food at home". He was right. We had plenty of pork, lamb, chicken, eggs and beef along with all the fruits and vegetables he and Mom froze or canned. When we did and I was young it was a treat, going places like The Airport, The Lobster House, The Fish House or The Hot Fish Shop in Winona. It also included The Flame, The 7th Rib and The Branding Iron. Now I tend to order stuff I don't get often at home like ribs, seafood, or sometimes chicken. With Fareway and the local meat market handy, steaks are better coming off our grill than what's available in local restaurants. Charcoal & some extra wood smoke makes them tough to beat.  :happy1:   
« Last Edit: March 03/29/18, 09:55:10 AM by Dotch »
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Exactly! We did all the same places....Fish house was my favorite, followed by Walters's Flame. I still have postcards from the Fish House and Walters Flame from the 60's...that they used to have by the cash register. Just for you...a trip back in time... :smiley:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 03/29/18, 10:02:06 AM by Rebel SS »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wow. That place closed some time back in the 70's didn't it? Was always kinda dark in there at night as I recall. Now that del has given me the OK to eat lots of saturated fat, I need to dust off my rumaki recipe. The Lobster House used to have that appetizer. Amazing what can be done with a water chestnut, a strip of bacon and a hunk of chicken liver!  :happy1:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We used to do the 7th Rib in Racine at least once a year too. Most of the time it was closer to home at Lansing Corners & where we could BYOB
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lansing Corners reopened a year or so back now. Have eaten there a couple times with the car club. Decent but the service the last time wasn't great. Took forever to get our bill straight. Have my eyes on the Little Dandy east of Le Center for a Stude cruise this summer. Talked to a local when he was in the other day. Said the food is great but they give you way too much of it. Good to know.  :happy1:

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Haven't been back since they reopened

Offline delcecchi

• Master Outdoorsman
I think it is still there...
You could take the NL.   

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Well Green Mountain Grill sent me the parts to get my grill/smoker running again.  Great customer service.  SO I was going to get a ham and do a smoke on it but the wife said "lets do ribs"   :happy1: :bow: :scratch:  I couldnt believe it.  She is becoming a true believer in them.....   lol

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Can we wife swap sometime LPS?  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: Love ribs but the wifey grumbles when I have them, probably cuz I spill so much crap on my shirt.  :sad: Yer a lucky guy! :happy1:

You got a neighbor lady too Gunner?  ;) Last visit to Lansing Corners was in early January. Looks exactly the same. Lotsa old people like me. Didn't see too many neighbor ladies.  :undecided: 

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Well Green Mountain Grill sent me the parts to get my grill/smoker running again.  Great customer service.  SO I was going to get a ham and do a smoke on it but the wife said "lets do ribs"   :happy1: :bow: :scratch:  I couldnt believe it.  She is becoming a true believer in them.....   lol

that is great for ya!!!!  both the grill parts and the ribs!!! :happy1: :happy1:
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Throw the ham in too! Smoked ham to go with those breakfast eggs!  :tongue:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
throw the eggs in too!!!!  smoked eggs are good!!!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
We'll have a whole list for Barry to do in a bit!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah. Then we can stop by for dinner on our way home Sunday coming back from the cities. :happy1: ;) :rotflmao:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Excellent idea, JB!  I can bring the smashed taters.... :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: March 03/30/18, 07:12:07 AM by Rebel SS »

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Nope no NL around here! :laugh: They only hang out about 90 miles north of us in Reb's neighborhood. ;)
« Last Edit: March 03/30/18, 08:24:58 AM by Gunner55 »

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Da Lobster House, the first one before it burned I think.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Dat's it! Didn't the Hot Fish Shop then go in there? And who can forget the shrimp at the Anchor Inn?

Offline Leech~~

• Master Outdoorsman
Well since the snow up north screwed up my fishing plans.  :pouty:  I will be throwing a Turkey on the smoker bright and early Sat.   :happy1:
Cooking over a open fire is all fun and games until someone losses a wiener!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
High wind warnings for us all day tomorrow....along with the snow.   :angry2:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
High wind warnings for us all day tomorrow....along with the snow.   :angry2:

you getting snow?????  I thought you were to far south!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Ahh, go polish yer pistol!!   :moon:  :rotflmao:

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Ahh, go polish yer pistol!!   :moon:  :rotflmao:

dat means leach will get snow too????  oh my!! :rotflmao:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
No, it means Leech and I are gonna put THE SQUEEZE on YOU, and yer gonna get smucked with a foot of it!!!  :moon:

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Dat's it! Didn't the Hot Fish Shop then go in there? And who can forget the shrimp at the Anchor Inn?

The Lobster House pictured on the postcard burned down then they rebuilt it. As far as I remember it was always The Lobster House, located on 16 & 63 west of Spring Valley. One of the Pappas family owned it at one time. It's closed for good now and someone lives there. 4 Daughters Winery is across the road to the south and east of it.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Wifey was working late on Easter flowers last nite, mostly lilies so I was left to my own devices. Finished pruning the pear trees so naturally I had to grill with some of the wood. Could be crappy, windy and cold tonite. Besides, Mrs. Cheviot will likely try to take advantage of me so need to keep my stamina up!  :surrender: :bonk:

« Last Edit: March 03/31/18, 08:38:39 AM by Dotch »

Offline Coffee118

• Master Outdoorsman
Half of Easter diner is done. A pork shoulder with my rub and smoked with cherry and hickory. It's wrapped in a towel for the night waiting to be pulled in the morning. I have another shoulder that will be done in the oven for the nonsmoke people.

if you kick me when I'm down you better pray I don't get up.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Fine looking spread dotch...she caught ya didn't she! You ended up tripping over Ruby  (like Glenn and sheds) running fer cover!!   :surrender: Coffee i think i can smell that from here!! Perfect guys!

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Geez coffee, that looks just awesome!

Just got done grilling 7 dozen weenies for my meeting on Tuedsday. Let 'em cool off before putting them in plastic bags in da fridge so house smells fabulous. Wifey's gonna start chasin' me again Boober, I just knows it!  :huh:

For da meeting we layer da bottom of a roaster with kraut, dump da weenies on top den let it cook on low a couple hours. Beans in a crockpot, some cheeps, beverages & cookies.  :happy1: 

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
That sounds great Dotch.  What kind of weiners do you cook?  When I was with the Rod and Gun Club we did Ambassador weiners with onions and beer.