Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!
The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What's on the grill, folks?  (Read 907814 times)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
On the  charcoal grill for Thursday.....hot wings with blue cheese dippin' sauce. Ran out of Franks Hot sauce, (Not a big fan of) so I bought a bottle of Cookie's Wing sauce to try. Disappointed...kinda thin, and vinegary tasting.
Can't have that, soooooo.......hmmmm....1/2 Cookies sauce, 1/4 Sweet Baby Rays' hickory, and 1/4 Western dressing to sweeten it up a bit. BINGO! We have a winner! :happy1:
Experimentin'. That's what it's all about.

Wings and a couple pigger center chops, cheddar bacon mac salad, and the dippin' sauce....... :tongue:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 03/21/19, 05:26:21 PM by Rebel SS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
looks good Reb!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks! It was Reb-o-licous! Tasted like Spring!  :party1:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
curious? you make them mac salads or buy them?????????

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Usually I make them during the summer, but this one is a WALMART one, Bacon cheddar, and not bad. They're the prepackaged ones someone makes for them....I can't stand those Reser mac salads, although I do like their redskin tater salad. It's different.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Lookin' good there Rebster!  :happy1: Did the neighbor lady chase you around the block?  :rotflmao: I agree. Reser's ain't my favorite mac salad either. Much prefer Mrs. Gerry's that's made right down the road in Albert's Leaf.  :azn:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Online Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
We are fans of most of Mrs. Gerry's salads too, Dotch. :happy1: A lot of the potato salad & coleslaw done in here
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
can't beat home made, but agree with Mrs. Gerry's
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Yup, my Mom's homemade salads were always excellent. She wouldn't have considered buying it in the store when we were growing up. A lot of the raw material for the salads was right there on the farm to be used. Plus, she had a whole drawer full of bread wrappers saved so we had something to put our egg salad sandwiches in for lunch!  :happy1:

My wife knows Mrs. Gerry and has decorated her house for Christmas for many years. Super lady, very kind and generous. She started out making salads out of her garage i believe. After the Farmstead packing plant went down, her company became one of the largest employers in Albert's Leaf. Very successful and they've done some great things in the community. Their product line keeps expanding too so it's always fun to try some of their new offerings.       
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Problem with a lot of the bought mac salads, is there's a lot of oils instead of the "miracle whip" type mayonnaise base, which you can taste, at least I can. My favorite is my ham 'n pea mac salad, which is really easy to make. This is roughly the amounts I use off the top of my head; (elbow mac is correct) vary according to how much of each item you like.

1 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni, WELL  drained
3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed and drained (don't cook!)
1/2 cup cubed ham
1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed small (just chunk up 3-4 thick cheese slices)
1/4 cup celery, diced
2 Tbsp diced onions
dash of salt
About a 1 1/2- 2 cups of Miracle whip, until salad is consistency you like. Remember mac will absorb some of it; so always add a bit more than you think you need.
DO NOT use the "lite" miracle whip; it will separate and become "watery" in a day.

Mix all ingredients together well, cover and let sit in 'fridge at least half a day.
« Last Edit: March 03/22/19, 10:38:03 AM by Rebel SS »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman

Online Cooperman

• Master Outdoorsman
Problem with a lot of the bought mac salads, is there's a lot of oils instead of the "miracle whip" type mayonnaise base, which you can taste, at least I can. My favorite is my ham 'n pea mac salad, which is really easy to make. This is roughly the amounts I use off the top of my head; (elbow mac is correct) vary according to how much of each item you like.

1/2 cup cubed ham
1/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed small (just chunk up 3-4 thick cheese slices)
1/4 cup celery, diced
2 Tbsp diced onions
dash of salt
About a 1 1/2- 2 cups of Miracle whip, until salad is consistency you like. Remember mac will absorb some of it; so always add a bit more than you think you need.
DO NOT use the "lite" miracle whip; it will separate and become "watery" in a day.

Mix all ingredients together well, cover and let sit in 'fridge at least half a day.

Reb,
Your recipe for the ham and pea salad looks very good, I copied it to my recipes to try folder.
As for the store bought salads I usually don’t care for salads that are floating in mayo or whatever, but this recipe is more on the dry side, but very good.

Macaroni salad
1 cup Mayo
2 tbl Vinegar
1 tbl Mustard
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Salt
1⁄4 tsp Pepper
1⁄2 lb Macaroni cooked and drained
1 cup Celery
1⁄2 cup Chopped green pepper
1⁄2 cup Chopped red pepper
1⁄2 cup Chopped green onion
mix all ingredients and refrigerate to blend flavors

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
they both sound good, copied both too for later use!!

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
i'm not cooking anything Reb cooks!!!!!!! :tut: :doah: i mean look how he turned out!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :angel: :angel:

sorry bud..............it was dotches fault!!!!!!!

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hey Rebs! Don't open any packages addressed to glenn!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Solid noodles for spaghetti good, hollow noodles bad.. :puke: Forget to take pics but walleye in one cast and a small fillet of salmon in the other. Served with beans, side sa lad and dipping bread in some sorta oil..

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman

1/2 cup cubed ham
1/4 cup celery, diced
2 Tbsp diced onions
dash of salt

Gonna make it tomorrow.   :happy1: :happy1:

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wondermous! Let us know how ya like it!  Remember, that was off top of the head. You can add more or less of everything ya want. For the onions, I usually use purple ones in it for some added color. I sometimes add a touch of dill weed, too.
If you make it again, for a different spin on it, back off on the Miracle whip a bit and mix in some ranch or blue cheese dressing, and a big handful of halved cherry tomato's.... :tongue:
« Last Edit: March 03/23/19, 06:51:28 AM by Rebel SS »

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm gonna double the batch for this first try. 

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't run outta Miracle Whip!!  :rotflmao:

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
Just a one grate dinner tonight. Chuckeye's,  bacon wrapped taters and a summer salad (pasta).. :happy1:

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Looking great as usual Boober!  :happy1: I bet Mrs. Boober has that gleam in her eye... :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: March 03/23/19, 09:21:23 PM by Dotch »

Online mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
Looking great as usual Boober!  :happy1: I bet Mrs. Boober has that gleam in her eye... :rotflmao:

oh no poor girl if she does!!!

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Nuttin fancy. Doctored up some burgers, fried onions and ore Ida seasoned fries. And just for boober and leech.... The HAT!  :happy1: :rotflmao:

By doctoring I mean I add diced onion, salt and pepper, an egg, and oatmeal. I do this alot! I decided to try a few other things. A bit of garlic, lemon pepper, Alpine touch and a few other seasoning. I let it meld a few hours.

Online LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks good Glenn.  What's the ashtray for?   :sleazy:   :laughroll:
« Last Edit: March 03/25/19, 10:38:19 AM by LPS »

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
Looks good Glenn.  What's the ashtray for?   :sleazy:   :laughroll:
toothpicks!!!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: